Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
hmm yeah i guess the more players you have in-game the more random it gets
i played 4 grand prix last night and won all of them (including every race) by a big margin vs a good friend, so that wasn't random at all

MasterBelch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is 80% luck. In MK64 i just won the GPs and played battle with my friends (we didnt used red shells). Now that they screwed battle mode (for no reason).... well.....

This reminds me of what happened to the FPS genre, a lot of "spray and pray games" (battleCrap, css, cod etc).

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Sometimes I dont get fanatic fanboys.
I do agree with vinikun's post , but I must say that if nintendo would preserve all the rules and guidelines in their sequels , wouldnt you all say "god , this is exactly mario kart ds/gc/64 with more tracks and online support"
and for SSBB you'd say "thats exactly the same as melee, but with shitty laggy online ,more characters and a stage builder"

I think that its good that Nintendo is changing the game mechanics:
For start , it looks like its random. but after a few days you start to see things a bit different (come on , you only played it for 2-3 days... you think you know all the secret paths/corners and totally understand the mechanics? you didnt even have enough time to try all the karts).
I think that the worst thing is to get a new game and find out that you master it perfectly from the first second. It happened to me in Bully - the fighting/escaping mechanics are exactly the same as GTA. its like a themed GTA, with the same AI and everything.... in other words - the game is great , but starts to be boring preety fast.

If theres anything to complain about , it is the lack of "less items" option in the online (just for the variety) and the fact you cant choose another bike/kart for a certain track (which makes a lot of sense, but i think they dropped it to make waiting shorter between races).

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People complained when there was not enough balance, now people are complaining when there is too much balance?

The game is too straightforward. Watch any WR vid and its all the same... MT, wheelie, MT, wheelie.. Anyone can use items properly, hug tight corners and hold a drift.

Bikes rule the leaderboards... Their mono's are way too fast for karts to compete with on straights. All in all its slow and boring. Watch a MKDS WR vid and its intense button mashing which takes imense skill and timing... then you watch a MKwi WR and its like its in slow motion. I got my first DH WR today, and its actually really dissapointing. I wouldnt say it took skill to do, just a lot of time and patience. The game is going to turn out like DKR for the DS, theres nothing to do in that game but steer and use items.

GP absolutley sucks.. You are in first for the whole way untill right before the finish line you get smashed by shells, lightnings and random bullcrap which puts you back to 12th place.

Wifi is a lot more fun, but so far everyone I verse has no clue of how to play the game, and I still end up winning by half a lap.. theres no snaking in this game, you have no excuse to lose that badly.

EDIT: what i really dislike is the karts DONT HANDLE and the only karts that have low enough drift to be any use are slow as hell!!
Nintendo lost the plot in trying to make everything simple and family friendly.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
Far too many people taking this seriously lol its a GAME ! have fun ffs its not about wining ats about playing, if you want absolute realism step outside your front door otherwise sit on the couch and play without getting your knickers in a twist because you think your a number 1 supreme cartist and your pissed because you didnt win awwwww diddums.

Ps you didnt come first online ? so what someone else did. its a GAME !

EDIT madkatz you sort of got and missed the point in your edit i think, this isnt about hardcore gaming its about giving something everyone can have a go at ie family friendly fun

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
A GAME is all the other crap that gets released on the Wii this is game from a once legendary Nintendo series and mentioning realism now that is what I would call amusing and ludicrous.

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
i sure aint played this enough thats for sure
smile.gif
but can anyone shed some light for me on the power ups.

Ive read some posts above but have a few qtions further plz

1. How exactly do you use or avoid the POW block?
2. How do you use the squid ink attack - does it just blacken the AI players?
3. How do you use the lighting cloud? - Do you just activate and then chase down someone and make contact?
4. Finally - is there a way to get a blue shell - coz that thing is awesme but also sux kinda
tongue.gif

hope someone can clear that up for me
smile.gif

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you guys are continually expecting Nintendo to do 1000 times better than previously, and that each and every game they come out with is just so innovating and amazing.. but what you don't seem to get is there's a limit to how good you can get something. the Mario Kart formula is pretty much perfect and it does what it's intended to do - provide mayhem in fast-frantic kart racing game for everyone.

seriously, i've had it since today and me and my friends haven't put it down. it's so frustrating at times but that just adds to the fun of it. you can get so involved with the Wii Wheel it's ridiculous haha, the faces i've seen people pull when they play this game is actually quite funny. and that's the point of it - it's meant to be fun. and after all, where's the need to change anything in the formula when it's great already?

sure, the game has it's flaws but you lot are just picking the pettiest of flaws - the items are annoying but that adds some challenge to the game. the only challenge i've found in previous Mario Kart games is snakers. i've never been able to snake great so i've usually lost, but i've seen reduced snaking online and the AI is smarter and harsher offline which actually adds a difficulty level. picking at items being "too harsh" as a flaw is really quite petty, and you're probably just pissed cause you got bombed by a blue shell when you were doing so well.
tongue.gif

so lighten up and enjoy it, it's a really fun game and it's not meant to be taken seriously. get some more Wii Wheels and some friends over - you'll see what i mean.
smile.gif

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
So I'm the only one to get first place nine times out of ten ?
tongue.gif

Other players are usually bad at driving, so even if I receive 2 or 3 blue shells, I win stay in first place most of the time :l
Blue shell is the only problem. Keep a banana behind you and you are immune to red shells. Opponent are too far behind to throw me bombs, banana, fake item or green shells. There's a trick to be immune to POW. Thunder punish everyone so it's not a problem. Cannon Bullet isn't enough to catch back.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Clearly, someone CAN win online, otherwise the race wouldn't end. So if someone is winning and you are not, then this does not mean that the Online is broken, it means you suck. There was this guy I was facing, french bloke, and me and him pretty much stayed 1st and 2nd place the entire time. He didn't stay in 8th and then all of a sudden come out of no where, or whatever. Me and him used our skills to stay in our places.

I think everyone is totally overreacting over minimal flaws, or placing their lack of skills on a made up issue.

chromemolly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I played yesterday for about 2 hours online and one against my friend. Both just worked great, no lag at all and pure fun. I love it, to see my opponents appearing on the World Map and they are all friendly greeting ;-) I played SNES, and MKDD a lot. And it is the next logical step. If my all time most important opponent, my best friend is moving this year to another city, we will be able to play once in a while a neat game over the online mode. Of course you can not win all the time. But to get on a rank with some points should be able if you are a skilled driver. Nintendo is a big industry stop thinking, that they produce for the hardcore gamers. But still a hardcore gamer will be better. A Lan option, though, would have been nice. I'm hoping for a homebrew solution. And it's great that now the first place gets other things than only green shells and Bananas
Have Fun!

P.S. Anyone else experienced that the original disc is more loud than a copy?

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
I think this pretty much sums it up from the gameonyou review evadwolrab posted

"Mario Kart Wii is still a first party Nintendo game. It oozes quality and finish, and will provide those who are looking for it hours of out-and-out fun. The game makes no excuses about wanting mass appeal, and neither do its developers. Gran Turismo it is not but then we weren’t looking for that anyway, were we? Mario Kart Wii succeeds in bridging the gap between the social, casual game player and traditional gamers out to have a blast, but it may disappoint the SNES players of old who are looking to make every corner, boost and shell count towards their victory of inches."

Dingler

Trophies
XP
Country
Whats this i hear about Cheating now:

[From GoNintendo]
I know that some of you out there are reading this and laughing. That’s because you are one of the cheaters! Mario Kart Wii is hitting all around the world, and the cheaters are coming out in full-force. It seems that the the Time Trials mode is taking the biggest hit from cheaters. There are all sorts of impossible times popping up, and Nintendo is yet to do anything about it. Granted, the game has just come out in certain areas, so I am still hopefully for Nintendo to clamp down on these issues. Are we going to see Mario Kart Wii’s online fun ruined just as quickly as Mario Kart DS?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=40093#comments

Anyone seen any cheaters yet?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dingler said:
Whats this i hear about Cheating now:

[From GoNintendo]
I know that some of you out there are reading this and laughing. That’s because you are one of the cheaters! Mario Kart Wii is hitting all around the world, and the cheaters are coming out in full-force. It seems that the the Time Trials mode is taking the biggest hit from cheaters. There are all sorts of impossible times popping up, and Nintendo is yet to do anything about it. Granted, the game has just come out in certain areas, so I am still hopefully for Nintendo to clamp down on these issues. Are we going to see Mario Kart Wii’s online fun ruined just as quickly as Mario Kart DS?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=40093#comments

Anyone seen any cheaters yet?

Go to the continental rankings and check out the top 10 for any course. There are the cheaters!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰