ROM Hack Official Mario Kart 7 - Custom Track Grand Prix 7 (CTGP-7)

What would you like to see more?

• New Custom Tracks

Votes: 114 61.6%
  • New Extra Features (such as backwards cam, etc)

Votes: 71 38.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
What happens when you play worldwides?
Other players play on the original model, thus you'll go on a different route than everyone else, and you'll sometimes see people going through walls, and they will see you doing so as well.

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
any way to make new cups instead of replacing the old ones? that would be so nice!

the game crashed on me while playing unfortunately (froze but music kept playing until I had to force shut down the 3DS) but I absolutely loved the levels I've played so far. amazing job!!

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
any way to make new cups instead of replacing the old ones? that would be so nice!

the game crashed on me while playing unfortunately (froze but music kept playing until I had to force shut down the 3DS) but I absolutely loved the levels I've played so far. amazing job!!
There's no way to create new cups right now. Also if you are using a N3ds, disable L2 cache + fast cpu. Which track did crash?

D

Deleted User

the game crashed on me while playing unfortunately (froze but music kept playing until I had to force shut down the 3DS)
Same thing happened to me. N64 Frappe Snow Land and GBA Bowser Castle 3 randomly freezes my game

Also if you are using a N3ds, disable L2 cache + fast cpu.
Ah, that's why overclocking my New 3DS XL causes instability to some games...

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
There's no way to create new cups right now. Also if you are using a N3ds, disable L2 cache + fast cpu. Which track did crash?

aww that's cool it's still super fun
I don't have that on, but I did choose the first possible version of NTR when it asked me, does that make a difference? I'm not sure which one to choose
track 3 first cup

is there an on/off switch for the whole mod? how do I go back if I want? thanks, sorry I'm a noob ahah

LogicIsHansom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting an error that says
"Error: [string ''?'':536: script doesn't exist.
AwIGz4u.jpg

Pc2UZIv.png

CTGP-7 - Custom Track Grand Prix 7

CTGP-7 is a modpack for MK7 which includes several Custom Tracks, texture hacks, music hacks... (and Red Yoshi :3). It can be played using three different methods: HANS, NTR CFW or CIA. Here are the advantages of each one:
  • NTR CFW: Easy install, can enable/disable custom tracks, can update itself without a PC, can go online if you have a prepatched 1.1 copy and you are in lastest firmware. Works on versions from 9.0.0 to 11.2 CFW
  • HANS: Launches from Homebrew Launcher, so no need to install anything else, however, it can't update, nor can disable/enable custom tracks. You can go online if you are in lastest version, or you use this. Works on versions from 9.0.0 to 11.2 (Doesn't work with 11.0 browserhax)
  • CIA: Installs to the home menu as a new app, with a different TitleID, so it doesn't overwrite existing game. However, it cannot be updated, nor enable/disable custom tracks, you'll need 1.4GB free in your SD. (700MB if using FBI network install). Works on any version CFW.
FAQ
Q. Which method do you recommend?
A. I recommend using NTR CFW, as it can be installed very easily, updated without the need of a PC and allows 200cc mode. If you can't manage to get it work, even after reading the common problems section in the tutorial, use cia build method. If you can't install cias, then use HANS method, since it can be used with Homebrew Launcher in any version.

Q. I can't go online because the game tells me to update Mario Kart 7.
There are two different MK7 versions, 1.0 and 1.1. You can only go online if your game is in 1.1, even without the eshop 1.1 update patch. Let me explain this, Back when Nintendo released the 1.1 patch in the eshop (about 2012), they stopped producing 1.0 games, and started producing 1.1 games, which had the update patch already applied in the rom itself I'll refer to those games as prepatched games. (this applies to cartridges and digital versions). Only 1.1 prepatched games will be able to go online, because NTR crashes if the 1.1 update patch is present and HANS just doesn't load it. (You may still see the v1.1 label in the multiplayer menu, but that's just because the romhack is based on 1.1 files). If you have bought a 1.0 digital version, backup your save, uninstall the game and download it again from the eshop. This action will install the prepatched 1.1 game. If you have a 1.0 cartridge version, just wait a bit because I working on a fix.

Q. The game crashes at some points.
A. This mod is not perfect, and that's why it's still in BETA. If the game crashes during a race, try disabling L2 cache and cpu settings in luma if you are using CFW. Else, please report it here, or if you don't have a github account, send me a PM.

HACK LIST 0.11

Custom tracks:

Banshee Broadwalk 2
Elemental Cave
Space Road
Evergreen Crossing
Miku's Birthday Speculator
Bayside Boulevard
Shower Circuit
Galvarny Falls
GBA Cheese Land
GCN Wario Colosseum
GBA Bowser Castle 3
GBA Riverside Park
GBA Sky Garden
Concord Town
SNES Ghost Valley 2
GCN Peach Beach
Coral Cape
SNES Mario Circuit 1
N64 Rainbow Road
Kalimary Icy Desert
N64 Mario Raceway
N64 Frappe Snowland
CT Canyon
Wii Wario's Mine
DS Yoshi Falls
N64 Moo Moo Farm
DS Desert Hills
DS Tick Tock Clock

----------------------------------

Other:
200cc (ntr method)
LED tricks (ntr method)
Custom font
Yoshi eggs (shell model hack)
Custom menus
Red Yoshi
Gold Mario
Mr L.
Blue big wheels
Bandicoot Team Kart
Fire Swooper
CTDP (Custom Track Download Play)
CT multiplayer
CT Online (only prepatched v1.1 game)

DOWNLOAD
I don't know where to download, ask Google instead. :P

OFFICIAL COMMUNITY
13-1941-7476-1448

Vote for your favourite CTs here

CHANGELOG
0.11:
  • Removed 1st place beats.
  • Updated N64 Frappe Snowland.
0.10.3:
0.10.2:
  • NTR method installation bugfixes.
  • Better NTR method update source.
0.10.1:
  • Bugfixes for the new NTR method.
0.10:
  • Faster NTR installation method.
0.9.13:
  • Fixed "Failed creating SSL context" error.
0.9.12:
  • Fixed some ingame repeating text. (thanks to Gaming796)
0.9.11:
  • Fixed crash for N3DS users (notification being added with ntr loaded).
0.9.9/0.9.10:
  • Add 11.2 support to ntr method.
  • Fixed bugs related to ntr loading.
0.9.8:
  • Added Mario Kart style loading animation.
  • Fixed N64 Frappe Snowland crash (again).
0.9.7:
  • Manager bugfixes.
0.9.6:
  • Updated 200cc plugin (made compatible with any MK7 version/region).
  • Fixed a bug when 200cc and led tricks were both enabled.
0.9.5:
  • Updated Miku's Birthday Spec.
  • Updated 200cc plugin (EUR/USA v1.1)
0.9.4:
  • Added 11.1 support to NTR method.
0.9.3:
  • Fixed GBA Cheese Land bug
  • Fixed SNES Ghost Valley 2 bug
  • Implemented Nanquitas' BootNTR into the manager
0.9.2:
  • Added LED tricks plugin
  • Updated Banshee Broadwalk (fixes lag)
  • Improved the NTR manager
0.9.1:
  • Added custom music to Concord town. (music)
0.9:
  • Added Banshee Broadwalk 2
  • Added Elemental Cave
TUTORIAL
HANS method:
In this guide I assume:
- You have access to homebrew launcher, and have the lastest starter kit copied to your SD.
- You have a MK7 copy (physical, digital or installed cia)
- You can open zip files.
- You know that MK7 means Mario Kart 7 :P

0. If you already have a decrypted cia/3ds file the same region and version of your game, or dumped from it, go to step 6.
1. Download braindump, and copy the braindump folder to the 3ds folder in your SD.
2. Get into homebrew launcher and select braindump and press A. It will ask you for a target title, select MK7 and press A.
3. It will start dumping your game, if it fails, power off and try again (may need a few tries).
4. After it has finished dumping, extract your SD and go to your PC. You should see "0000000000030X00.cxi" (X = 6 -> JAP, 7 -> EUR, 8 -> USA) on your SD root.
5. Download official CTGP-7.zip from the link above, and extract it somewhere in your PC. Then copy "0000000000030X00.cxi" to the same folder you extracted CTGP-7.zip
6. Run Build_CTGP7.bat (it may tell you not to execute bat files if you don't trust the source, trust me, it doesn't have any viruses :)).
7. A black window will open, ask the questions by pressing a number and then enter. (Game region, cia install availability and the method you want to use.)
8. After you have selected hans method in the black window, it will ask you to for your MK7 cia/3ds/cxi filename. Just press 00 and then tab key, so it autocompletes to 0000000000030X00.cxi and press enter.
9. Now it will start building CTGP-7, just wait until it finishes.
10. Go to log folder and open errorlog.txt, if you see any errors, read the common error list below before proceeding.
11. Copy the contents of "output" folder near Build_CTGP7.bat to the root of your SD.
12. Insert the SD in your 3DS, go to the homebrew launcher , you will see CTGP-7 icon, run it.
13. Enjoy.

NOTE: YOU DON'T NEED TO RENAME ANY FILES.

Common problems:
- Black screen after selecting CTGP-7: You may have an old starter kit or *hax installed, try updating to lastest starter kit and lastest *hax version. (Tested with *hax 2.7). NOTE: 11.0 browserhax doesn't work with CTGP-7, install menuhax.
- Missing target title: It can't detect your MK7 copy, either the game card isn't inserted, or you have selected the wrong region in Build_CTGP7. (Remember that "0000000000030X00.cxi" X = 6 -> JAP, 7 -> EUR, 8 -> USA).
- CTGP-7 icon doesn't show: You haven't copied the files to your SD correctly, make sure you copy the contents inside "output" folder, not the "output" folder itself to the SD card root. Also make sure you are using the most recent homebrew launcher.

Video tutorial.

NTR CFW method:
In this guide I assume:
- You have a MK7 copy (physical, digital or installed cia)
- You have a CFW set up. (I recommend Luma3DS)
- You can install cias. (I recommend using FBI)

1. Extract the contents of the CTGP-7.zip.
2. Copy the "files" folder to the root of your SD. (It will be automatically renamed to "CTGP-7" later.)
3. Install the CTGP-7 installer cia (qr code):
CTGP-7_installer.jpg

4. Launch the CTGP-7 installer cia, it will do the rest of the process automatically. (If you get error codes, read the "Installation error codes" section below.)
5. Once it's done, the installer will be automatically replaced by the CTGP-7 manager cia, don't remove it or install the CTGP-7 installer again!
5.1: You may get an error the first time you try to launch CTGP-7, a reboot will fix it.

Installation error codes:

You may get error codes if something goes wrong in the installation, here are their meaning:
  • Errors 1 to 5: The "files" folder data is corrupted and some files are missing, check you have copied them correctly to your SD. (1 -> files/lua/script.lua, 2 -> files/lua/resources/updater.cia, 3 -> files/CTGP-7.cia, 4 -> files/OnionFS/CTGP-7OnionFS.plg, 5 -> files/CTGP-7romfs/RaceCommon.szs)
  • Error 6: The CTGP-7 installer cia and "files" folder data versions do not match, make sure you have downloaded lastest CTGP-7 data and CTGP-7 installer.
  • Getting all errors (1 to 6): "files" folder missing.

Common problems after the installation:
- After launching CTGP-7, an error happens and tells you to save and reboot: Just save and reboot and try again. :P
- Unknown firmware: Make sure your system version is compatible with NTR method. If Nintendo has released an update recently, a CTGP-7 update will be released soon to fix the problem.

Video tutorial.

CIA method:
In this guide I assume:
- You have a legit MK7 decrypted cia. Use Decrypt9 (deep CIA decrypt option) to decrypt or dump it from your game card.
- You have a CFW set up. (I recommend Luma3DS)
- You can install cias. (I recommend using FBI)

0. Make sure your cia file is
1. Copy your cia file to the same folder as the bat file.
2. Run Build_CTGP7.bat (it may tell you not to execute bat files if you don't trust the source, trust me, it doesn't have any viruses :)).
3. A black window will open, ask the questions by pressing a number and then enter. (Game region, cia install availability and the method you want to use. The TitleID can be changed, so it doesn't overwrite your existing game. You won't be able to go online tho.).
4. When it asks you, enter the name of your file with extension, and press enter.
5. Go to log folder and open errorlog.txt, if you see any errors, read the common bat error list below.
6. Use whatever cia installer to install the cia file inside output folder to your 3ds.
Common bat error list:
Error: "Not decrypted/MK7 game"
Solution: Your cia is not decrypted, or not Mario Kart 7.

Warning: "Manual/dlp not found"
You won't be able to access the manual, or create local multiplayer/dlp rooms (you can still join them). Everything else should work. That is because your 3ds/cia doesn't have dlp/3ds partitions.

Error: "Error opening input file"
Solution: This can be because you have entered the wrong cxi filename, or braindump didn't dump the cxi correctly. Repeat from step 2 if this is the case.

Error: "Error creating (foldername)"
Solution: Ignore it.

(If you have any error not listed here, let me know)

VIDEOS
Changelog video (0.9.3)

Changelog video (0.8.5)

Changelog video (0.6)

Review video (0.5.1):

CREDITS
DarkFlare: Custom Track maker & Original idea.
PabloMK7: Custom Track maker, menu edits, manager app.
Ermelber: Custom Track maker & KMP expander developer.
MKGirlism: Custom Track maker & Server hosting
MK7Tester: Custom Track Maker
Stewie1.0: Custom Track maker
SpyKid: Custom Track Maker
Baoulettes: Custom Track Maker
Dandy: Custom Track Maker
BBTalk: Custom Track Maker
Szymbar: Custom Track Maker
Maxi.: Custom Track Maker
TheZoroak007: Custom Track Maker
Gericom/MKDS3: Every File Explorer developer.
Yoshidude4: Custom Track maker
ElKerouz: Gold Mario, menu icons
Cochu U: DS Desert Hills music maker.
cell9: NTR CFW developer
smealum: *hax and hans developer
Rinnegatamante: lpp 3DS
Nanquitas: help & BootNTR Selector
CONTRIBUTING
If you want to contribute to the project, send me a PM.
If you see any glitch/bug ingame/in the manager app, please report it here.
I highly appreciate any of those contributions :D

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
aww that's cool it's still super fun
I don't have that on, but I did choose the first possible version of NTR when it asked me, does that make a difference? I'm not sure which one to choose
track 3 first cup

is there an on/off switch for the whole mod? how do I go back if I want? thanks, sorry I'm a noob ahah

just in case anyone doesn't know how to go back temporarily if you want I figured it out, just reboot your 3DS
still unsure about which NTR to choose but I assume the latest is the best.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Just don't launch the CTGP- 7 app :P (or BootNTR).
just in case anyone doesn't know how to go back temporarily if you want I figured it out, just reboot your 3DS
still unsure about which NTR to choose but I assume the latest is the best.
Yep.

Last edited by PabloMK7,
Reactions: plug313

Bobobombastisch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tryed to update with NTR to 11.0 but while downloading it stops and says Error: [string "?"] 237 and when i press b to exit my n3DS tells me it can't access the microSD (no custom background, no installed CIA except DSiware

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tryed to update with NTR to 11.0 but while downloading it stops and says Error: [string "?"] 237 and when i press b to exit my n3DS tells me it can't access the microSD (no custom background, no installed CIA except DSiware
Something's wrong with your microsd, the app failed trying to write to it. Try removing and inserting it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...