OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OLD SCHOOL PROPOSAL​

qlqoAm7.png

Equinn0xX recently hacked Contra and used it to propose to his girlfriend.​
Di2WRQn.png
“This is how I did it. In short, I bought Contra, dumped the ROM, hex edited the file, flashed it to a new ROM chip and soldered it all back together. Took some work but worth it. I changed player names to ours and also changed the ending text to ask her once she beat the game. She said yes! And to the purists who cringe when they see a hacked up cart…relax, it was for a good cause!” he says.​
EJAxNgw.png
Konami picks up this story and posts it on facebook

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He put it all beck together? From the picture it doesnt look like thats going to fit back into the original casing nicely. How did she not see the messed up cart?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more surprised by the fact that she managed to see the message. Contra is not an easy game.
Never understood all of the "Contra is so hard" talk... Maybe it's because the only games I had for a while were Mario 1, Zelda II, Contra, Dragon Warrior, and TMNT 1...but I mastered all of those games before age 8 in 1991 and I'm by no means good at video games. Maybe games now are a little too easy?

On topic though, that's a pretty awesome proposal. I don't know many chicks who will sit down and play Contra, though I'm betting the two of them teamed up with the Konami code. Otherwise, she's a total badass.

Reactions: clarky

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never understood all of the "Contra is so hard" talk... Maybe it's because the only games I had for a while were Mario 1, Zelda II, Contra, Dragon Warrior, and TMNT 1...but I mastered all of those games before age 8 in 1991 and I'm by no means good at video games. Maybe games now are a little too easy?

On topic though, that's a pretty awesome proposal. I don't know many chicks who will sit down and play Contra, though I'm betting the two of them teamed up with the Konami code. Otherwise, she's a total badass.

Well there's the Konami code for one, but other than that Contra is one of those games that gets a lot easier if you just play it for a long time. I had trouble getting past one or two stages with Konami code when I first started but I can do the whole game without it just from playing it a billion times.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WTF?

What does a person's gender have to do with their skill at video games?
Because as far as I'm aware most girls are not interested in games like Contra (or games in general) which leads to them not being able to play it properly. (because no practice whatsoever) Of course there are girls that can play it better than most guys, their interests just tend to be different.

Reactions: Osha

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Because as far as I'm aware most girls are not interested in games like Contra (or games in general) which leads to them not being able to play it properly. (because no practice whatsoever) Of course there are girls that can play it better than most guys, their interests just tend to be different.
More girls are gamers than will generally admit it, though, it's becoming more socially acceptable. There has been a negative view surrounding gamers and gaming as a whole for years from a social standpoint, and it just happened to be that publicly, more guys were willing to endure the criticism for the sake of doing something they enjoy. Tons of girls at least played games when they were younger though, generally courtesy of either brothers, their dad, or even just male friends, and were exposed to retro gaming to some degree. For plenty, it definitely stuck. I've met a fair number of girls that actually enjoy more retro consoles over modern consoles, despite the fact that games are generally much more difficult.

You've basically fallen into the trap of assuming that gamers are pretty much just, and have always been, nerdy guys. Socially, yes, it was a male dominant hobby. That hasn't really applied for years though as gaming has slowly been breaking the stereotypes associated with it.

Reactions: NEP

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That bastard. DOES HE KNOW HOW HARD I HAD TO FIND A CART? AND HE JUST DEFILED DESTROYED HURT MY FEELINGS VANDALISED THE GAME!

Sigh, well good for her.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He should buy her the NES controller t-shirt, then practice entering the Konami code while she's still wearing it~ "Oh crap, I entered up up down down left right left right A B instead of up up down down left right left right B A! Guess I gotta start over..."

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's trying to marry this girl with Contra and he didn't even make one "Spread gun" joke? For shame, man, for shame.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill