Hacking Major problem ...I have to format the sd card ?!!?!

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi !

Ive followed the 3dshack tutorial, everything was fine...mod is fine, games work wll, then I add more CIA to the sd card....reinsert in the the 2dsxl...the sd cant be read !?!?!!? The same on the pc...the only option is to format !

any ideas what could have happen ?

Since the 2dsxl is already moded, do I start from scratch ? Will I brick it ?

All the mod tiles on the 2ds ( FBI, Luma) are gone....

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi !

Ive followed the 3dshack tutorial, everything was fine...mod is fine, games work wll, then I add more CIA to the sd card....reinsert in the the 2dsxl...the sd cant be read !?!?!!? The same on the pc...the only option is to format !

any ideas what could have happen ?

Since the 2dsxl is already moded, do I start from scratch ? Will I brick it ?

All the mod tiles on the 2ds ( FBI, Luma) are gone....
Sounds like a bad SD card

Reactions: Alexander1970

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was working fine....
Check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
1) I cant copy anything on the computer.....when I insert the sd card in the pc there is only one option: format.
2) I've buyed the sd card new yesterday.... it's akingston, not fake ( i've buyed it at best buy)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) I cant copy anything on the computer.....when I insert the sd card in the pc there is only one option: format.
2) I've buyed the sd card new yesterday.... it's akingston, not fake ( i've buyed it at best buy)
Its been known that the rare time fakes do sometimes find their way in. You cannot go by anything till they are proven good to use.

Reactions: E1ite007

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then return it as it's defective and get a better brand SanDisk or samsung

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the help guys...for now my main problem/question is : what do I do with the 2ds xl ? Restart the whole process with a new sd (or the same if it's a good one) , format the console ?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the help guys...for now my main problem/question is : what do I do with the 2ds xl ? Restart the whole process with a new sd (or the same if it's a good one) , format the console ?
You just need the boot.firm file and the finalizing steps. And DO NOT format the console. You will hate youself for doing that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything worth saving, try using these.
Name brands mean very little as counterfeiters mix their fake goods with the real stuff. Supply lines can get contaminated anywhere from the moment they leave the factories from China/Taiwan/Korea all the up way to being stocked on store shelves.

Also, Kingston is one of the worse offenders worse in terms of likeliness getting ripped off when it comes to buying genuine vs fake. Kingston doesn't make their cards. Those 3rd party manufacturers who make (real) SD cards for Kingston are also usually the same ones who usually make (fake) or failed production batches. Gotta sell those junk cards to recoup the production cost (shameful!).

One can't trust flash memory products at face value these days, not even if you bought it at a local store.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You just need the boot.firm file and the finalizing steps. And DO NOT format the console. You will hate youself for doing that.
I,ve followed all the steps on 3dshack guide....how I can Get the Boot.firm file !?!?! If my sd card is formated I cnat just put a single file on it !?!?!

Can some please tell me me the process....

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I,ve followed all the steps on 3dshack guide....how I can Get the Boot.firm file !?!?! If my sd card is formated I cnat just put a single file on it !?!?!

Can some please tell me me the process....
Oh that was fast store trip and back

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Kingston SD card has demonstrated itself to be a piece of shit.

Going forward using that to build your setup will be a waste of time and energy as everything will just get corrupted again sooner or later. Save yourself the trouble experiencing hours of gameplay being lost because the SD card you think was real/reliable wasn't actually that.

Go back to Best Buy, exchange it for a SanDisk or Samsung, and ensure the replacement card is a good one using the procedure described in post #4.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once I got a good working sd....I start the process from there: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup ?
Yes.

Anything else to do ?
Enjoy the 3DS and all of homebrew.

About the nand, I've made a save of sysnand, boot9.bin...Do I have to do something with those ?
Keep the sysnand *.bin image safely tucked away on a computer, cloud storage, or external hard drive. Pray that you never have to use it in the event of a severe firmware softbrick that's not fixable with Recovery Mode, CTRTransfer, or CTRTransfer (Type D9).

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thnaks once again !

In another thread someone who got a similar problem have been told that Hh will also need the boot.3dsx file. is it my case ?

And if it is, where I put it ? at the root of my sd or in one of the folder created ?

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thnaks once again !

In another thread someone who got a similar problem have been told that Hh will also need the boot.3dsx file. is it my case ?

And if it is, where I put it ? at the root of my sd or in one of the folder created ?
Boot.3dsx is homebrew channel u don't n33d if if your not planing on running .3dsx homebrew

tostaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.

I've followed your guide..Going to store is something I like to avoid at this time ! So The sd car is formated, H2testw show no error. I guess I will give that card a go. I have a bad habit, I always deconnect sd card or thumbdrive from the computer without ''safely removing '' them first...maybe this is what put my card in raw ??!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken they are worth it lol