Alex96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

so I want to homebrew my New Nintendo 3ds. Following a tutorial, I plug my micro SD card into my PC using a USB reader I bought online but now my PC wants to format my SD card. Do I need to format it or is that the wrong step? I also put my microSD back into my 3ds which can't read it anymore.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go under computer management -> disk management and see if the SD card show up if it show up you can change the drive letter for it.

Alex96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You need to format it using FAT32 otherwise the 3DS won't detect it.
Are you saying that the PC isn't detecting the SD card at all after formatting?
I haven't formated it yet, I just plugged it back into my 3ds which wasn't able to detect and now my PC isn't able to detect it

Alex96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Go under computer management -> disk management and see if the SD card show up if it show up you can change the drive letter for it.
It shows two other data carriers there, except my main drive. I'm not sure if my SD card is under there. I'll send you a pic
Screenshot 2024-02-29 202955.png

Post automatically merged:

What format is the SD card on?
I don't nkow where can I see that

Alex96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At what point did your PC stop reading the card? What was the last action you took?
Also reboot your PC if you haven't done so already.
Ok, so I rebooted my PC and it still doesn't detect it. So after first putting it into my PC, I put it into another PC to see if that one also wants format my SD which it did want to. So I put it back into my PC where it still wanted to format it and I think it was after I put it into my 3ds where it wasn't detected my PC also couldn't detect it anymore.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds like yet another SD that gave up for no reason from one second to another.

Happens all the time.

Try multiple readers, but don't have too much hope.

Alex96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds like yet another SD that gave up for no reason from one second to another.

Happens all the time.

Try multiple readers, but don't have too much hope.
So, should I just get a new micro SD cardand hope that works? Can I just put the homebrew stuff on the empty SD card?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, should I just get a new micro SD cardand hope that works? Can I just put the homebrew stuff on the empty SD card?
Boot9Strap and stuff is installed on the system itself. Just putting the luma3ds boot.firm file on the root of the SD is enough for it to boot into cfw.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so I want to homebrew my New Nintendo 3ds. Following a tutorial, I plug my micro SD card into my PC using a USB reader I bought online but now my PC wants to format my SD card. Do I need to format it or is that the wrong step? I also put my microSD back into my 3ds which can't read it anymore.
Your card is probably corrupted. If you want to recover your data, at this point your only option is standard PC file recovery software like Easeus or Testdisk. See https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/96kg4v/my_3ds_sd_got_corrupted_and_i_successfully/ . But you should probably try another SD card reader first, as suggested; if you are using a microSD card in an SD-card adapter to read it in your PC, then your adapter may also be faulty.

If you do not care about any of your old data, then you should probably get a new card. You can try formatting this card as FAT32 and then testing it with h2testw, but if h2testw says the card is bad, you should stop using it.

Boot9Strap and stuff is installed on the system itself. Just putting the luma3ds boot.firm file on the root of the SD is enough for it to boot into cfw.
The OP suggests that CFW has not been installed on the system yet at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?