Feedback Hardware 2DS XL might have hardware failure, help?

SoraJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to buy my grandma a 2DS XL, she likes playing games like Mario and Kirby. I was too late in buying before Nintendo stopped selling them. So I bought one used on E-bay, put in a 32GB Sandisk ImageMate Micro SD card, installed Luma 3DS with games too. Fast forward, it started freezing and not charging. Updated the 2DS Xl Luma to 13.0.2 and that helped. Finally got around to putting in a new battery, but in the process my cousin; the one putting in the new battery, broke the SD card. So I went out and got a new one. As I'm reinstalling the files, then the games on the new SD card, I'm getting errors left and right. Randomly the 2DS XL won't power on with or without the SD card. The blue indictor light will turn on for one second, then turn the whole system would turn right off. No sound what so ever, just the the indictor light turning on then off. Then finally "unable to mount CTRNAND" showed up. I followed this VIDEO GUIDE and ended up getting an error in GodMode9 and this 2DSXL won't do anything at all, not turning on into anything. I took a break because I was mad and it finally booted up GodMode9, which it wasn't doing after the GodMode9 error until now. I search a lot on the internet before posting, but I think it's a hardware failure, the ram or the actual nand chip is dying/dead. Just wanted to ask around what can I do?

Edit: I already formatted the SD card to 32k Cluster size and fat32

Specs
New 2DS XL on OFW 11.17.0-50U
Luma 3DS 13.0.2
GodMode9 2.1.1
Everything is up to date, because I'm OCD
Only mod I know of would be TWPATCH If that's considered a mod.

TLTR; I think my grandma's 2DSXL has hardware failure, after putting in a new SD card, new battery, and everything.

Pictures
IMG_3847.pngIMG_3849.pngIMG_3850.pngIMG_3851.pngIMG_3852.pngIMG_3853.pngIMG_3854.pngIMG_3855.png

Also, a video of what happens from time to time when I let the 2DS XL run. It's been like this for like two hours now.

Post automatically merged:

Update.
After reformatting the SD card AGAIN. I can follow the video guide. Installed 11.15.0, then updated to 11.17.0. Everything was working fine for an hour. Now it won’t turn on, the indicator light lights up for a second then the 2DSXL turns right off. When it does turn on I’ll get the CTRNAND error again…

Last edited by SoraJr,

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly sounds like it could be a flakey card. Try a new SD card with fresh folders & files from luma, Godmode9 & boot9strap. Only those 3 at first to see if you can get it going. Your probably getting errors from the system looking for the data at certain memory addresses & the card you are using doesn't have them all at the proper addresses hence the "play for an hour and then...."

Reactions: SoraJr

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If you look closely at the GodMode9 exception screens you can see random letters are upper case when they should not be. This tells me that your console likely has a damaged FCRAM. Probably cracked solder balls under the chip. There is nothing you can do except asking a reputable repair shop to try and reflow the FCRAM chip.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Honestly sounds like it could be a flakey card. Try a new SD card with fresh folders & files from luma, Godmode9 & boot9strap. Only those 3 at first to see if you can get it going. Your probably getting errors from the system looking for the data at certain memory addresses & the card you are using doesn't have them all at the proper addresses hence the "play for an hour and then...."
If the system is reading the data wrongly directly at boot, then is not a SD card issue, it's a hardware issue with RAM (FCRAM in this case).

You can easily tell the system is flipping bits by how is it parsing text with incorrect caps like "DAtA AbOrT"

This is likely a hardware damage, and the culprit may be the FCRAM chip, it may need reflowing or replacing it entirely. I couldn't find a picture that has the FCRAM exposed, but it is located below the silver plate marked inside the red circle here, and should have something similar to MB82M8080-07L printed on top:

1700941090099.png

Reactions: anotherthing

SoraJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s a brand new SDHC 32GB Sandisk image mate micro SD card. I got it from Walmart. The problem still happens even with the Micro SD card taken out. I made sure to included me reformatting the card and re adding files to rule out a bad SD card. Thanks though

If you look closely at the GodMode9 exception screens you can see random letters are upper case when they should not be. This tells me that your console likely has a damaged FCRAM. Probably cracked solder balls under the chip. There is nothing you can do except asking a reputable repair shop to try and reflow the FCRAM chip.
Thank you confirming what I was thinking. My uncle & different cousin knows how to solder. I’ll just take it to them and hope it gets fixed that way.

Thank you confirming what I was thinking. I have family members that can solder. That image helps a lot. The mix upper case & lower case laters also the system unable to load from what looks to be the nand makes me think a hardware issue.

Last edited by SoraJr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?