Gaming Mainline Pokemon Game coming to the Switch!

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be surprise, if "core" meant anything, but the main series. I really doubt he point it out, if he meant otherwise.

Yeah, surprised no one made this thread either. "Anyone". I seen a lot of people thinking it wasn't coming. In fact, they were happy it wasn't coming.

I wonder if they will let you trade between 3ds and Switch. I doubt it, tho. Just because of Pokebank and cheaters. I think Monster Hunter shares data. I can totally see them doing one more shared title with 3ds and Switch.

I just wonder what it is going to look like. I know they aren't going go realistic. Maybe Cell shading?

Well it's established 3DS and Switch can connect with each other, so, they could do what Battle Revolution did where you copy the pokemon in your boxes, and that is pasted into the Switch game, this way you don't transfer and lose your mons between generations, and it was done wireless in the DS/Wii era. If they make complimentary 3DS titles with a Switch one, cross play is very possible. They only confirmed one game though, so they could make it so massive that other games won't be needed. I don't know, many possibilities, and that's the exciting part. Also, they better go without outlines, makes SM loads better on the eye.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Huge open world Pokemon with battle transitions like Xenoblade. Keep the turn based combat.
All Pokemon you see roaming around on screen. And have Pokemon that tower over you.

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
The mainline Pokemon games were always made for the handhelds because Pokemon is a portable game. The 3DS is a much better console then the Switch at the moment, and it will ALWAYS be a better portable system. Pokemon is supposed to be a portable experience. So unless the Gen 8 games are for both the 3DS and the Switch, it's going to be a major disappointment.

Seriously? Why just 8th gen, why not ask for 9th gen on this 2011 hardware too? They have done everything they could on the 3ds, now its time for the franchise to move to greater heights.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Who's your dealer, because I wanna get on the stuff that you're hovering up your nose!

3DS is at it's absolute limits now. It's 6 years old. Time to jump ship to a new system. Anything the 3ds can do, the Switch can do FAR better.

Exactly and not 6th, it is it's 7th year. It's time to move on.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been asking for a proper Pokemon game on a home console for years, glad to see they're finally doing it!
It's the logical consequence of the fact that Nintendo (unadmittedly as of yet) unified its two console brands. In the age of big tablets, I can actually see the Switch becoming the portable console of choice, despite its size. And since it's officially replacing the Wii U, we no longer get a distinction.

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I consider this the official, no-doubts-left confirmation that the 3DS is not gonna be getting a "successor" other than the Switch. Pokémon series turning to Switch confirms that it's both the Nintendo home console and the Nintendo handheld console. And it's glorious - one console to play ALL upcoming Nintendo games. And they all give you the choice between TV or on the go... It's fantastic.

Reactions: VMM and DarthDub

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they really say "mainline"? It might be along the lines of spin-off titles like Colosseum and XD.

No. What they said was a main core pokemon title has started development very recently for the switch by gamefreak. Don't expect the game though for over a year. "A main core" is what they said. Never said it was a new generation though. I am thinking, with the anime having the reboot universe with the i choose you movie, it is going to be a gigantic sized remake of Yellow.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I consider this the official, no-doubts-left confirmation that the 3DS is not gonna be getting a "successor" other than the Switch.

Yes and No. I don't think the 3DS will get a separate game playing successor. I believe a portable/handheld system playing the exact same games in both physical and digital form as the switch will eventually be launched. Just to keep things interesting, I could then see a new/I model then being launched later with a wireless connection to the tv.

Nintendo making two different devices that play two different sets of games are dead. The Switch is a second step in that direction after the wii u. The next step is a nintendo pocket. Then after that a pocket switch.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 3DS is going to last until mid-2018 - 2019. And actually, Pokémon coming to Switch isn't a bad thing. The N3DS suffers playing S/M w/o framedrops, even with extended memory. US/UM will be even worse and will need super-optimization to stay playable. The Switch is roughly 33 times more powerful than the N3DS when undocked, 82 times when docked.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mainline Pokemon games were always made for the handhelds because Pokemon is a portable game. The 3DS is a much better console then the Switch at the moment, and it will ALWAYS be a better portable system. Pokemon is supposed to be a portable experience. So unless the Gen 8 games are for both the 3DS and the Switch, it's going to be a major disappointment.
Depends on what your looking for, do you want upscaled power compared to a 3ds or are you looking for a more portable solution (imo the 3ds is much more portable.)
I believe its possible to have a Pokémon game on both systems it just depends on how far they go with making it a dedicated Pokémon game. (How far they make the game and basically how much content is packed into it.)

The 3ds still has a few more years ahead of time, a new Metroid is releasing on the 3ds in August I think, and people are still making games like the latest Fire Emblem release. Also I might want to note that some future Switch titles may be also coming on the 3ds like Fire Emblem warriors (at least that's what I think.)

Plus give it time, they are porting Wii U titles to the Switch since many people did not purchase a Wii U. And they are still working on new titles (So far the only Switch games, if you already have a Wii U & 3DS that you should be looking forward to are; Arms, Xenoblade 2, Mario Oddesy, Metroid but that's coming somewhere in 2018 I think or later, Splatoon 2, and Fire emblem warriors if it never gets a 3ds port.) And besides if you already own a Wii U people will be making mods on it at some point like MK8 Custom tracks, or Splatoon custom weapons at some point, stages, etc... So I guess you can say that's an advantage over people who did not purchase a Wii U originally. Plus every game is free on the Wii U if you have homebrew on it, so there's that to. Same with 3DS (Almost everything is free there to)

Last edited by petethepug,

MashedPotatos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by MashedPotatos,
Reactions: VMM and RustInPeace

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS is going to last until mid-2018 - 2019. And actually, Pokémon coming to Switch isn't a bad thing. The N3DS suffers playing S/M w/o framedrops, even with extended memory. US/UM will be even worse and will need super-optimization to stay playable. The Switch is roughly 33 times more powerful than the N3DS when undocked, 82 times when docked.
You called?

DuoForce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you reap what you sow. You wanted mainline game on the Switch - you're getting it. Will be interesting to see what Pokemon fan families are going to do - if they are going to buy second (third? I know people who now need four) Switch, paying 2-3 times more than in the 3DS era
The family would only need one switch system since save files are user based and not stored on the cartridge

Reactions: felix.200

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The family would only need one switch system since save files are user based and not stored on the cartridge

I interpreted what the person says as trading with yourself, thus needing more than one Switch. It's feasible to get yourself 2 3DSes, hell I have 7, but 2 Switches? Also if I'm not mistaken, the saves are stored in the console, not the cartridge, so without hacking, you best take care of the Switch, it fucks up, your save is gone. I don't know if they fixed that, I just heard it way back during its release.

Coder_Oak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the logical consequence of the fact that Nintendo (unadmittedly as of yet) unified its two console brands.

With all the new 3DS game announcements this year, I was afraid they weren't going with this plan and were going to keep a portable line going alongside the Switch. I really hope they manage to pull off the unification. The Switch doesn't seem quite as portable as a 3DS, but maybe a Switch Mini will come along in a couple of years and 3DS will retire.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody posted about this earlier? Hm. I mean, it goes without saying really, anyone could've predicted that, especially after the fact of US/UM coming out. It's not confirmed to be Gen 8, but given their patterns and history, I'm guessing a new generation, for a new console. Aside from Gen 3, they typically went through two generations in one console's long lifespan. Game Boy/GBC had Gen 1 and 2, DS had Gen 4 and 5 with DSi enhanced capabilities for the latter, similarly enough, 3DS has Gen 6 and 7, with the latter being an extended memory pair for N3DS. Gen 3 is just a testament of how fucking long GBA reigned, I feel like. Not necessarily related to Pokemon, but I read, maybe a paraphrase, that Reggie said 3DS is still part of their core...whatever, support, software/hardware making, that stuff. So it's possible that there could be 3DS versions of this one (or two) Gen 8 game.

Anyways, also part of tradition, they wait 1-2 years before introducing a new generation, so their proclamation of "at least a year from now" is pretty believable. That being said, I don't expect a holiday 2019 release, it could be between holiday season 2018, or around February/March 2019.

Ah shit I totally forgot about that, needing a second console to do trades with myself and stuff. Cock, well, hopefully Switch's price goes down by then? Damn, this threw me off completely.
umm...pokemon bank?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock