Gaming Mainline Pokemon Game coming to the Switch!

DuoForce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was revealed during Nintendo's E3 conference that a main series Pokemon Game (8th Gen) is under development for the Nintendo Switch. We don't know what the game(s) will be called. The Pokemon Company also confirmed we won't see the games before Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon (atleast a year from now).

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Well, you reap what you sow. You wanted mainline game on the Switch - you're getting it. Will be interesting to see what Pokemon fan families are going to do - if they are going to buy second (third? I know people who now need four) Switch, paying 2-3 times more than in the 3DS era

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody posted about this earlier? Hm. I mean, it goes without saying really, anyone could've predicted that, especially after the fact of US/UM coming out. It's not confirmed to be Gen 8, but given their patterns and history, I'm guessing a new generation, for a new console. Aside from Gen 3, they typically went through two generations in one console's long lifespan. Game Boy/GBC had Gen 1 and 2, DS had Gen 4 and 5 with DSi enhanced capabilities for the latter, similarly enough, 3DS has Gen 6 and 7, with the latter being an extended memory pair for N3DS. Gen 3 is just a testament of how fucking long GBA reigned, I feel like. Not necessarily related to Pokemon, but I read, maybe a paraphrase, that Reggie said 3DS is still part of their core...whatever, support, software/hardware making, that stuff. So it's possible that there could be 3DS versions of this one (or two) Gen 8 game.

Anyways, also part of tradition, they wait 1-2 years before introducing a new generation, so their proclamation of "at least a year from now" is pretty believable. That being said, I don't expect a holiday 2019 release, it could be between holiday season 2018, or around February/March 2019.

Well, you reap what you sow. You wanted mainline game on the Switch - you're getting it. Will be interesting to see what Pokemon fan families are going to do - if they are going to buy second (third? I know people who now need four) Switch, paying 2-3 times more than in the 3DS era

Ah shit I totally forgot about that, needing a second console to do trades with myself and stuff. Cock, well, hopefully Switch's price goes down by then? Damn, this threw me off completely.

Last edited by RustInPeace,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think the latest Sun and Moon that's coming are the last Pokemon games for the 3DS. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo started to slow down on releases for the 3DS after New Years and focusing everything on the Switch.

Reactions: RustInPeace

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they really say "mainline"? It might be along the lines of spin-off titles like Colosseum and XD.

“Game Freak has begun developing a core RPG Pokémon title on Nintendo Switch,” Tsunekazu Ishihara, president of The Pokémon Company, said during this morning’s Nintendo Spotlight. “It may not release for more than a year, but we hope you’ll look forward to it all the same.

That's how I read it in other sites, that quote's from Kotaku. "Core," it makes me think main series.

Reactions: bjaxx87

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is bullshit. The Switch is a replacement for the Wii U, not the 3DS. Like, actually, fuck this.

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So? Its a portable console as well, fits having a Pokemon game there.
The mainline Pokemon games were always made for the handhelds because Pokemon is a portable game. The 3DS is a much better console then the Switch at the moment, and it will ALWAYS be a better portable system. Pokemon is supposed to be a portable experience. So unless the Gen 8 games are for both the 3DS and the Switch, it's going to be a major disappointment.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The mainline Pokemon games were always made for the handhelds because Pokemon is a portable game. The 3DS is a much better console then the Switch at the moment, and it will ALWAYS be a better portable system. Pokemon is supposed to be a portable experience. So unless the Gen 8 games are for both the 3DS and the Switch, it's going to be a major disappointment.
Funny, Pokemon Colosseum, Gales of Darkness XD, Stadium and Battle Revolution weren't disappointments.
Pokemon GO was the hottest summer Android/iOS game last year and no one batted an eye.
Give me a break, there's not even a trailer out yet and the Switch is portable as well, its like a more powerful 3DS with just one screen and a decent second analog stick.
The game fits nicely there, especially if its gonna have compatibility with previous 3DS Pokemon games.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To be fair the Switch gives an opportunity for Game Freak to stick with their bread and butter, the portable stuff. And really, they've been edging away from dual screens, there weren't many requirements with the bottom screen in Sun/Moon, and I recently played Pearl and you couldn't even get past the introductory section with Professor Rowan without touching the damn Pokeball. We've come a long way.

dpad_5678

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny, Pokemon Colosseum, Gales of Darkness XD, Stadium and Battle Revolution weren't disappointments.
Pokemon GO was the hottest summer Android/iOS game last year and no one batted an eye.
Give me a break, there's not even a trailer out yet and the Switch is portable as well, its like a more powerful 3DS with just one screen and a decent second analog stick.
The game fits nicely there, especially if its gonna have compatibility with previous 3DS Pokemon games.
Pokemon GO WAS on portable devices. I didn't say the games would suck. I said the playing situation would probably suck, because the Switch isn't nearly as good as portable console as the 3DS is. And the games you mentioned were all spin offs.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pokemon GO WAS on portable devices. I didn't say the games would suck. I said the playing situation would probably suck, because the Switch isn't nearly as good as portable console as the 3DS is. And the games you mentioned were all spin offs.
Only if you're referring to the battery life, with that being said, its gonna be an enjoyable experience since you can hop from handheld to TV mode anytime.

D

Deleted User

Given that many a gamer bought a 3DS for Pokemon X and Y it's good business sense to publish a main series Pokemon game on the Switch. Hopefully we get Diamond and Pearl remakes on the Switch and not 3DS.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will also push Switch hacking. I mean, 3DS and Wii U, what's the difference between them? Main series pokemon, 3DS was hacked, cracked quicker than Wii U, which to me only got CFW and hacking traction last year whereas 3DS had been going for years. I think Nintendo console hacking tends to be driven by Pokemon, but I'll also note Switch, coming off Wii U, is probably tempting to turn into something of an all-purpose emulator.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be surprise, if "core" meant anything, but the main series. I really doubt he point it out, if he meant otherwise.

Nobody posted about this earlier? Hm. I mean, it goes without saying really, anyone could've predicted that, especially after the fact of US/UM coming out. It's not confirmed to be Gen 8, but given their patterns and history, I'm guessing a new generation, for a new console. Aside from Gen 3, they typically went through two generations in one console's long lifespan. Game Boy/GBC had Gen 1 and 2, DS had Gen 4 and 5 with DSi enhanced capabilities for the latter, similarly enough, 3DS has Gen 6 and 7, with the latter being an extended memory pair for N3DS. Gen 3 is just a testament of how fucking long GBA reigned, I feel like. Not necessarily related to Pokemon, but I read, maybe a paraphrase, that Reggie said 3DS is still part of their core...whatever, support, software/hardware making, that stuff. So it's possible that there could be 3DS versions of this one (or two) Gen 8 game.

Anyways, also part of tradition, they wait 1-2 years before introducing a new generation, so their proclamation of "at least a year from now" is pretty believable. That being said, I don't expect a holiday 2019 release, it could be between holiday season 2018, or around February/March 2019.

Ah shit I totally forgot about that, needing a second console to do trades with myself and stuff. Cock, well, hopefully Switch's price goes down by then? Damn, this threw me off completely.
Yeah, surprised no one made this thread either. "Anyone". I seen a lot of people thinking it wasn't coming. In fact, they were happy it wasn't coming.

I wonder if they will let you trade between 3ds and Switch. I doubt it, tho. Just because of Pokebank and cheaters. I think Monster Hunter shares data. I can totally see them doing one more shared title with 3ds and Switch.

I just wonder what it is going to look like. I know they aren't going go realistic. Maybe Cell shading?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse