Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded Boot.firm & boot.3dsx from the link above, twice now, and replaced the old Boot.firm & boot.3dsx that was on my sd-card with the new files. But when I try to do an update, it still says that I already have the latest version installed (which according to my system is 11.16.0.). I also tried the universal updater. I can't recall having any issues like this before.
No, hold select at boot. See if it says 12.0.

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Well that's nice. For some reason I got stuck on that it said "Sys.11.16" under system settings. But as long as it is the latest version I'm satisfied.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well that's nice. For some reason I got stuck on that it said "Sys.11.16" under system settings. But as long as it is the latest version I'm satisfied.

You are clearly mistaking Luma3DS update from the 3DS System update, both are their own thing and totally different.

The first time you put the boot.firm in your SD card you got luma updated!! Nothing else needs to be done.

Luma3DS version is 12.0, and has nothing to do with the 3DS system version (11.16.0-49), there's nothing more you should do now, you have Luma3DS updated.

Reactions: godreborn

anatkarnaim

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi, can someone please help me with updating my 3ds' system version. I haven't used my 3ds for a while and it's on system version 11.15 with luma3ds version 10.2.1. I opened my 3ds yesterday and was trying to update the system to 11.16. The first thing I did was install the luma3ds 12.0 version using the universal updater app, which was successful but it caused my screen to freeze. I tried opening and closing my 3ds but the screen remained frozen (the theme bgm played so there was audio). After that I removed the sd card, put it on my pc, and manually replaced the 12.0 versions of boot.firm and boot.3dsx with their older versions from the 10.2.1 pack. My 3ds i back to working condition again but now I don't know how to proceed and I'm scared to make a mistake again. Should I install the 11.16 system version first and update to luma3ds 12.0 afterwards? What should I do? TIA.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, can someone please help me with updating my 3ds' system version. I haven't used my 3ds for a while and it's on system version 11.15 with luma3ds version 10.2.1. I opened my 3ds yesterday and was trying to update the system to 11.16. The first thing I did was install the luma3ds 12.0 version using the universal updater app, which was successful but it caused my screen to freeze. I tried opening and closing my 3ds but the screen remained frozen (the theme bgm played so there was audio). After that I removed the sd card, put it on my pc, and manually replaced the 12.0 versions of boot.firm and boot.3dsx with their older versions from the 10.2.1 pack. My 3ds i back to working condition again but now I don't know how to proceed and I'm scared to make a mistake again. Should I install the 11.16 system version first and update to luma3ds 12.0 afterwards? What should I do? TIA.
First of all, update luma first and then your firmware via system settings.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew autolaunch is the very feature I wanted! This is the closest we can to replace the OFW with a homebrew! Being able to autoboot into TwiLight is what I've always wanted!
while not with twilight menu specifically, you can already do this through fast boot. you can set default to any boot.firm you want, load anything you want with any button you want. it's far superior to normal b9s.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
while not with twilight menu specifically, you can already do this through fast boot. you can set default to any boot.firm you want, load anything you want with any button you want. it's far superior to normal b9s.
I've been using FB3DS since 2 weeks before launch, lol. That said, outside of an unreleased bypass that is working similar to how the Luma3DS feature is working, I've never been able to autoboot directly into TwiLight

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using FB3DS since 2 weeks before launch, lol. That said, outside of an unreleased bypass that is working similar to how the Luma3DS feature is working, I've never been able to autoboot directly into TwiLight
you wouldn't be able to. it's not a .firm file. I don't know if it's possible to make one, but it would be through firm_builder.

Reactions: Kwyjor

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
you wouldn't be able to. it's not a .firm file. I don't know if it's possible to make one, but it would be through firm_builder.
I mean, I was able to before due to an unreleased project that I was helping out with. But this new feature of being able to autoboot into TwiLight is actually what I wanted.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the .app core redirect affect battery life? If so, how much does it drain?

Also, how does it affect ps1 and n64 performance? I don't have any demanding ps1 games and no n64 roms (yet).

Also what would the screen filter settings be to make a TN screen similar to an IPS one?

Last edited by XRTerra,

maxolina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just picked up my n3DS again after half a year of not playing it.

I was using custom Luma 10.3 with quickswitchers and night/light automatic switching.

What are the pros of updating to the newest luma 12? Or can I just keep using my old one if it works fine for me?

Did they integrate those features into the new official luma version?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the pros of updating to the newest luma 12? Or can I just keep using my old one if it works fine for me?
If you are going to update the firmware on your 3ds to the latest version, then you have to update Luma3DS as well. Otherwise no, you can stay on v10.3.
Did they integrate those features into the new official luma version?
Not sure. Read the changelogs.

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Updating Luma3DS is as easy as copy-pasting files to the root of the micro-SD card. Why fear making the update?
Not everybody feels comfortable tinkering with something they don't really understand. For these people, a whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach may be preferred.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches