Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I brought up this issue in the daily thread over on the /r/3DShacks subreddit, but I realized I probably won't be getting response over there and figured it would be best to ask here.

I am running on a n3DSXL with B9S/Luma 7.1; system ver. 11.4, and my issue is related to the LayeredFS game patching.

For context:

I am trying to undub a Fire Emblem Echoes cart (USA) to have Japanese audio. I managed to get everything to work by following the correct folder structure on the wiki (the romfs folder route) and only implementing the audio files; however, while I am playing the game there is a delay every time any audio file is being loaded. For example, during a conversation in the game, the voiced audio will play for one textbox, then everything will pause (except for the BGM) for about 2 seconds until the game moves on to the next textbox and voice file (doesn't matter if I manually progress it or have the auto-text feature on). Another example is when the BGM changes there will be a game pause of up to about 5 seconds. It gets frustrating quickly as the BGM changes every time a battle starts/ends as well as when a turn ends.

Finally for my question, is there any possibility of remedying this delay/pausing problem or is this just something that I will have to comply with while patching Echoes with LayeredFS and games in general?

Things that I have tried:
- Implement entire content to romfs folder. All that did was greatly lower performance.
- Changed CPU speeds with Luma, but it did not seem to make a difference. Currently, I am running clock+L2.
- Implement only the folder containing audio. Pausing problem is present.
- Implement only voice and cut-scene audio files. I figured since the BGM is the same, it would just use the BGM from the cart, but the pausing problem persisted.

The delay is gone while playing without the patch, but that ultimately defeats the purpose I am trying to achieve in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time!

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I brought up this issue in the daily thread over on the /r/3DShacks subreddit, but I realized I probably won't be getting response over there and figured it would be best to ask here.

I am running on a n3DSXL with B9S/Luma 7.1; system ver. 11.4, and my issue is related to the LayeredFS game patching.

For context:

I am trying to undub a Fire Emblem Echoes cart (USA) to have Japanese audio. I managed to get everything to work by following the correct folder structure on the wiki (the romfs folder route) and only implementing the audio files; however, while I am playing the game there is a delay every time any audio file is being loaded. For example, during a conversation in the game, the voiced audio will play for one textbox, then everything will pause (except for the BGM) for about 2 seconds until the game moves on to the next textbox and voice file (doesn't matter if I manually progress it or have the auto-text feature on). Another example is when the BGM changes there will be a game pause of up to about 5 seconds. It gets frustrating quickly as the BGM changes every time a battle starts/ends as well as when a turn ends.

Finally for my question, is there any possibility of remedying this delay/pausing problem or is this just something that I will have to comply with while patching Echoes with LayeredFS and games in general?

Things that I have tried:
- Implement entire content to romfs folder. All that did was greatly lower performance.
- Changed CPU speeds with Luma, but it did not seem to make a difference. Currently, I am running clock+L2.
- Implement only the folder containing audio. Pausing problem is present.
- Implement only voice and cut-scene audio files. I figured since the BGM is the same, it would just use the BGM from the cart, but the pausing problem persisted.

The delay is gone while playing without the patch, but that ultimately defeats the purpose I am trying to achieve in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-cia-cxi-files.383055/
Unpack your US game, replace the audio files with Japanese files, repack to CIA, install with FBI.
There's always going to be a delay from redirection. You have to repack the game to just use the other files to avoid delays.

Aceset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-cia-cxi-files.383055/
Unpack your US game, replace the audio files with Japanese files, repack to CIA, install with FBI.
There's always going to be a delay from redirection. You have to repack the game to just use the other files to avoid delays.

I see... I wanted to avoid installing the game since I already have the physical cart, but it seems I cannot avoid that. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on a fix for the hourlies. I've contacted astronautlevel2, so hopefully a fix will be soon. When that happens, I'll release the next update.

Apparently, just having the URL listed above won't work. I need the GitHub API URL.

EDIT: astronautlevel2 has responded, saying that it was something they deleted. Around 5pm-ish EST it should be added back.
Can we get a update on this situation? Cause the hourly still doesn't show up in the updater for me.

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
I see... I wanted to avoid installing the game since I already have the physical cart, but it seems I cannot avoid that. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Please don't give up I'll try to do it too...

Did you try to play using NTR CFW?

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll announce it here, I guess, but the next update to Luma Updater will include CTRNAND writing, meaning boot.firm will be downloaded to both SD and CTRNAND. And with the new release, I will be posting a thread so that I can post updates there instead. There is no ETA on when the next version will be released, but expect something to come soon™.

If you implement this, please make it optional. I would rather have more direct manual control over if/when I write something to the NAND.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you implement this, please make it optional. I would rather have more direct manual control over if/when I write something to the NAND.
That would take me longer to implement something like that, and I'm bound to mess something up. The app is already almost finished, people are anxious for the update, and I'm not gonna have a whole lot of time in the days coming up to properly work on it.

Reactions: kingaz

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just manually download the hourly until I get the chance to work on it again.
Thank you, for the reply. I will patiently wait for the update. No rush, I know people have lives and can't devote all their time to the 3ds scene. I do thank you for spending your free time to make peoples 3ds experience better.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the curious. A certain hourly site is working again in v2.1:
Ft6WD7H.png

Image was enlarged to show the text better.

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
For the curious. A certain hourly site is working again in v2.1:
Ft6WD7H.png

Image was enlarged to show the text better.

Just a suggestion, will be fine if will allow to start the updater without internet connection. If will be helpful for whom that only wants to restore the backup version of Luma.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a suggestion, will be fine if will allow to start the updater without internet connection. If will be helpful for whom that only wants to restore the backup version of Luma.
I will see if this is possible, but I can't guarantee anything just yet. The crash that happens with no internet connection has been fixed, at least. If anything, this will not be in v2.1.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would take me longer to implement something like that, and I'm bound to mess something up. The app is already almost finished, people are anxious for the update, and I'm not gonna have a whole lot of time in the days coming up to properly work on it.
As long as it's being worked on and making progress that's good. There has been no progress in this app for a while now until you picked it up. People can still update without the LumaUpdater. It's a convenience thing, but not necessary. It's first world problem. Take your time.

Reactions: KunoichiZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F