Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unbricking sysnand isn't much of a problem if you don't use it but rather use emunand. The bootup time really wasn't that much longer either. The 100% boot rate is nice but I only bothered with a9lh once the TWL_FIRM autopatching was implemented.
I'm not really seeing why you'd continue to use emunand though: Emunand was created to prevent bricks, but now we have a bootmii-like thing for sysnand. If anything, it would free up space on the SD card. You can also take out the SD card while the 3DS is on for faster file management.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not really seeing why you'd continue to use emunand though: Emunand was created to prevent bricks, but now we have a bootmii-like thing for sysnand. If anything, it would free up space on the SD card. You can also take out the SD card while the 3DS is on for faster file management.

I don't really use it anymore and have been using an updated sysnand ever since I got a9lh. I just don't want to have to back up and restore 50GB+ of files to remove it so it stays there even though ARN doesn't use firmware.bin anymore (which was the last reason to ever boot into it, to update firmware.bin after updating sysnand).

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I think the larger benefits of A9LH are ability to unbrick sysnand, 100% boot success rate, and 8 second bootup. All of the A9LH bricks I've seen/heard of happened due to user error.
Back when a9lh first started the brick risk was high. But that isn't the case anymore and it pretty much comes down to user error like u said. People seem to ignore the fact it has gotten safer. yet they also forget downgrading from 10.3 had a high brick risk(still kind of does because of all the out dated guides for it).

As for pros and cons for him to look at

Pros of a9lh:
-Fast booting
-100% boot rate
-Don't have to use emunand
-Brick protection
-If not using emunand gba/dsi ware becomes easier to do

Cons:
-Can take a while to do(if you already have an emunand you can skip to part 4)
-Has an extremely slim brick risk(just follow the guide and you will be fine)
-Seems to turn some people into douche bags(looking at you master race assholes)

The majority of the time it takes is spent waiting for stuff to finish so you can do other stuff while it's going.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really use it anymore and have been using an updated sysnand ever since I got a9lh. I just don't want to have to back up and restore 50GB+ of files to remove it so it stays there even though ARN doesn't use firmware.bin anymore (which was the last reason to ever boot into it, to update firmware.bin after updating sysnand).
Actually, I am pretty sure you'd have to update firmware.bin even if you were updating EmuNand. The firmware.bin generation thing is really, really useful for those who don't follow the community, though, and I'm really glad that the feature exists for AuReiNand.

I completely understand about the file transferring by the way: A9LH has an approximate 3-5 hour setup, but the patience to sit/multitask through that varies per person. Personally, whenever I hack someone's 3DS, I just find other things to keep me occupied whenever I'm waiting for Nand dumping/restoring/sd backup/restore.

Reactions: pbanj

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Unbricking sysnand isn't much of a problem if you don't use it but rather use emunand. The bootup time really wasn't that much longer either. The 100% boot rate is nice but I only bothered with a9lh once the TWL_FIRM autopatching was implemented.

And yes, I still have emunand. It's at 9.2 with FBI injected and a FTP server installed, but nothing else. Mostly so that it wouldn't be necessary to take the back off my system when there was an update that required a new firmware.bin but now that firmware.bin is no longer needed I only keep it because I don't want to have to backup and then restore 50GB worth of files to remove it.

The boot time can be much better depending on the system. Some hate menuhax and require high delays. my wifes system would take around 30s on menuhax, she gets about 10-12s on a9lh. On my system I have a boot animation and a splash screen and my boot time is still under 15a. You can remove the emunand without having to backup ur files.

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
good mornings:

i have some problems with the newest version and payloads like agbsave9 or emu9nand

why its this happend?

i returned to previous version till this issue will be fixed

greetings

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Some of us prefer to keep 9.0-9.2 SysNAND for various reasons. My personal reason for keeping my N3DS on 9.0 SysNAND is for GW purposes.
You know what to do with your GW card... I also saw that you need .dat for Arm9(loaderhax which is the correct name). Can I commit suicide now? /s xD

Sent from my Nexus 5

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good mornings:

i have some problems with the newest version and payloads like agbsave9 or emu9nand

why its this happend?

i returned to previous version till this issue will be fixed

greetings

It's not an issues with ARN it's an issue with those apps, before ARN had code to load "dirty" payloads but that was now removed in the new version

So the developers need to fix then so they work correctly

Reactions: pbanj

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also plailec safe sysupdater is perfect for following the process. I downgraded in one try. When I did it the guide was longer because the redNAND part wasnt added to it so I had to dump all my emuNAND files and inject them to sysNAND. I only got micro infarts when I was getting the otp.bin LMAO. That was intense I could feel my body was ready. Soon ™

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Good Morning! I have a nintendo 3ds xl with Arm9 can do the File transfer old 3ds setup menu to the new 3ds with ARM9, I do not want to lose my NNID nor my friends
Not the thread for that -_- check the tutorial section, I hear some asshole made a tut for transferring from one 3ds to another that has cfw on it.

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no new version on agbsave9 since a month ago .....and i need it to backup GBA VC saves

greetings
When you backup do you get saves one by one or you get all the saves in one file? I wanted to play on 3ds but then I found the way of restoring saves so tedious that I simply went and played on PSP using .sav files.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Morning! I have a nintendo 3ds xl with Arm9 can do the File transfer old 3ds setup menu to the new 3ds with ARM9, I do not want to lose my NNID nor my friends
Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking.

Are you saying you want to perform a system transfer between your O3DS+A9LH -> N3DS+A9LH?

If so, that should work fine. You can keep your NNID and friends, but you cannot System Transfer from N3DS->O3DS. At least, not easily.

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
im not agreed with is a dec
When you backup do you get saves one by one or you get all the saves in one file? I wanted to play on 3ds but then I found the way of restoring saves so tedious that I simply went and played on PSP using .sav files.

if you read the guide , you can dump the last gameboy advance game savedata you played (one to one)

is so useful for pokemon savedata edit and for make backups of your savestates

greetings

Last edited by hellionz,
Reactions: shadowofdarkness

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not the thread for that -_- check the tutorial section, I hear some asshole made a tut for transferring from one 3ds to another that has cfw on it.

Thank you very much

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking.

Are you saying you want to perform a system transfer between your O3DS+A9LH -> N3DS+A9LH?

If so, that should work fine. You can keep your NNID and friends, but you cannot System Transfer from N3DS->O3DS. At least, not easily.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. sorry about my English

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I am pretty sure you'd have to update firmware.bin even if you were updating EmuNand. The firmware.bin generation thing is really, really useful for those who don't follow the community, though, and I'm really glad that the feature exists for AuReiNand.

I completely understand about the file transferring by the way: A9LH has an approximate 3-5 hour setup, but the patience to sit/multitask through that varies per person. Personally, whenever I hack someone's 3DS, I just find other things to keep me occupied whenever I'm waiting for Nand dumping/restoring/sd backup/restore.

No, it wouldn't because the emunand would be booting off of firmware90.bin. Then it would be a simple matter of booting up ftpd, transfering the new firmware.bin over, and then going back to sysnand again. Fortunately that is no longer necessary and the only reason I haven't fully removed it yet is laziness.

The boot time can be much better depending on the system. Some hate menuhax and require high delays. my wifes system would take around 30s on menuhax, she gets about 10-12s on a9lh. On my system I have a boot animation and a splash screen and my boot time is still under 15a. You can remove the emunand without having to backup ur files.

True, but on my setup currently the only thing I am missing out on is a little bit of extra space from the now nearly useless 9.2 emunand. And how can you remove emunand without backing everything up, reformating/repartitioning your sd card, and then copying everything back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY