Linus Tech Tips is imploding right before our eyes

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I treat LTT's content more for entertainment and I prefer other places like GN among others for more serious reviews, the comparison that always popped into my head (justified or not) was "The Gadget Show" which used to air on Channel 5 here in the UK, the worst I recall that show doing was saying the PSP Go's DD only approach was good.....despite the other models also being able to do this, which they didn't mention, it just bugged me at the time.

What really got me was Linus's inability to use Linux. He did a 1 month Linux only challenge a while back where he was unhappy that Linux wasn't just Windows with a different theme.

In a video much later, he was trying to use a Linux laptop and thought that control+c was used to copy text from the terminal. (control+c ends a running process and is usually one of the first terminal command a Linux user learns)

In reality, control+shift+c is used to copy text from a terminal.

It's a small thing, but I thought it showed just how incompetent he is with no desire to learn something new.
But he's a former best buy employee with no college degree, so he's probably doing the best he can.

TBH, TIL ctrl+shift+c is the shortcut despite using Linux on/off for nearly two decades at this point. I just used the GUI for copy/cut/paste up until now, I knew about ctrl+c though. Didn't help in my case that the right click menu doesn't mention the shortcut and I've never been in a position where I had to look it up because of the GUI.

On Windows, ctrl+c can both copy text and can kill a process, even with something like SSH or WSL.

Sometimes I even forget that 'right click == paste' is a Windows thing out of habit, I use this shortcut all the time at work on the UNIX terminal emulator on our Windows systems for pasting stock numbers.

That said, I'm surprised you didn't mention the time he uninstalled the GUI when trying to install Steam, despite the warnings on screen.

For me though, some of their server stuff makes me facepalm where it feels more like r/homelab at times, such as recently when they started messing around with Unraid's parity drives without moving the data off the faulty 'emulated' drive first. Even if it was a secondary copy, I still wouldn't risk losing the data, although now I suspect time was the real reason for not doing this.

IIRC they also lost data due to poor maintenance, even though I'd be surprised if these tasks couldn't have been automated such as the automatic monthly parity check I do on my home servers with email alerts for anything important (yes this isn't the best monitoring method, but it's doing the job for now).

Reactions: SylverReZ

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What really got me was Linus's inability to use Linux. He did a 1 month Linux only challenge a while back where he was unhappy that Linux wasn't just Windows with a different theme.

In a video much later, he was trying to use a Linux laptop and thought that control+c was used to copy text from the terminal. (control+c ends a running process and is usually one of the first terminal command a Linux user learns)

It's a small thing, but I thought it showed just how incompetent he is with no desire to learn something new.
But he's a former best buy employee with no college degree, so he's probably doing the best he can.
I still don't understand why he picked Manjaro of all distros if he doesn't know a clue about Linux. There are so many more easy distros like Linux Mint! (that Luke picked)

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
All companies use everything to just make money.

He was talking about LTTstore.com, as cringy as the video was in places. I literally don't care, I never watched LTT for it's accuracy anyway.
I Know, but using it in a video that's meant to apologize is kinda low

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All companies use everything to just make money.

He was talking about LTTstore.com, as cringy as the video was in places. I literally don't care, I never watched LTT for it's accuracy anyway.
Exactly.

My favorite hosts are Linus himself, the blonde guy with glasses, the brunette guy, and the fat guy. Yeah, I don't know their names. :P

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 388683

Okay, who on earth would go "oh man, where my ADS at"?
Stunning level of disconnect from reality shown off here.
They only turned off monetization after the community called em on it. So, it's no surprise they're plugging their store.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't seen a Linus Theft Tips video in ages since I got bored of the same old formula of them trying to be funny while raking in viewers and money. Not to mention misrepresenting stuff and having clear biases depending on who their sponsors are against competitors.

Glad to see them getting their comeuppance after the many disgusting stuff I've been hearing about them throughout the years. GN's video only further solidifies how bad it's going there and the recent "Apology" video that LTT posted hasn't been helping their case either with terrible quality checks, like not blurring email addresses, blurring the price of the prototype, shilling their LTT store in an APOLOGY video, not apologizing to anyone that Linus took shots at with his terrible PR forum posts, etc.

As GN hopes they should do and that the company (LTT/LMG) does extensive internal reviews and changes to better themselves and actually do it right.

But for now, I'll just enjoy this flaming hot mess since it's been the most entertaining thing I've ever seen related to LTT/LMG. :rofl2:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Have a new statement from Linus in regards to the sexual abuse allegations:

I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values.

We pride ourselves on maintaining a safe and inclusive environment. In addition to our existing report systems (both anonymous and otherwise) we’ve proactively reached out internally today to encourage members of our team to report any workplace bullying or harassment they might be experiencing so we can take quick and decisive action.

Our HR team will be conducting a more thorough assessment of the allegations, and when we are ready, we will release a more complete statement. For now I would ask that we allow our team the time they need be as thorough as possible.

And apparently the CEO plans on hiring an outside investigator to look into the claims as well. So guess we'll see where that goes...

:arrow: Source

Reactions: Xzi

chidreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linus Media Group (LMG) has experienced a gradual decline in recent years, with some noticeable errors that could be identified by individuals with technical knowledge. Steve from Gamers Nexus addressed these issues, despite having a good relationship with Linus. The content creators at LMG expressed a desire to spend more time on research for their videos, but Linus made the decision to increase the quantity of videos produced. In the past, Linus stated that financial gain would not influence his decisions, but some people questioned this claim. It can be challenging for anyone to remain unaffected by the potential for financial gain, particularly when large sums of money are involved.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was always amusing to see the YOLO approach used at the corporate level, and it's kinda on the viewers if they didn't do other research before purchasing products, but some of these other allegations are pretty serious.

The account from Madison, if true, sounds very similar to the Activision stuff. I'm not sure how most of it can be proved though.

Reactions: Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They will either ride it out, or sell up and pocket 100 million.

Though I'm not sure what job Linus could actually do now.
Some sort of salesman like he used to be, but I don't think he will ever need to work again (unless he has been incredibly dumb with finances). In fact, he's probably kicking himself for not stepping away when he first announced he was going to some time back.

I also doubt the current valuation is still $100 million, but it probably won't take long to get back to that when/if this just blows over.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some sort of salesman like he used to be, but I don't think he will ever need to work again (unless he has been incredibly dumb with finances). In fact, he's probably kicking himself for not stepping away when he first announced he was going to some time back.

I also doubt the current valuation is still $100 million, but it probably won't take long to get back to that when/if this just blows over.
Yeah, and he's eye candy for YouTube views so he won't have any probs with whatever the future brings.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

I think theirs a big difference between acting like a bit of an idiot for entertainment purposes and actually being one.

LTT are making videos for entertainment purposes at the end of the day, the videos wouldn't be half as entertaining if they were 100% serious about everything. I'm sure they could make some very serious / boring videos on Linux if they really wanted to.

In some ways Linus is the Jeremy Clarkson of the tech world, Clarkson acts a certain persona in front of the camera to be entertaining, doing a very good job of it. You could well mistake him as for a bit of an idiot, however once you have seen enough of him doing other things you realise he's actually pretty smart, despite the way he acts on camera.

Same with Linus, he is a millionaire many times over from doing something he is passionate about, so college degree or not it doesn't matter. He's doing better for himself than the vast majority of people who go to college.

That said if some videos were inaccurate and process is improved from this drama to ensure this does not happen in the future than fair play, everyone's a winner.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think theirs a big difference between acting like a bit of an idiot for entertainment purposes and actually being one.

LTT are making videos for entertainment purposes at the end of the day, the videos wouldn't be half as entertaining if they were 100% serious about everything. I'm sure they could make some very serious / boring videos on Linux if they really wanted to.

In some ways Linus is the Jeremy Clarkson of the tech world, Clarkson acts a certain persona in front of the camera to be entertaining, doing a very good job of it. You could well mistake him as for a bit of an idiot, however once you have seen enough of him doing other things you realise he's actually pretty smart, despite the way he acts on camera.

Same with Linus, he is a millionaire many times over from doing something he is passionate about, so college degree or not it doesn't matter. He's doing better for himself than the vast majority of people who go to college.

That said if some videos were inaccurate and process is improved from this drama to ensure this does not happen in the future than fair play, everyone's a winner.
Who doesn't like watching Linus break expensive things. :rofl2:

wiiu20603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Linux videos he posted and subsequent inability to complete basic tasks in a Linux environment suggest that he's an actual idiot, not just playing an idiot for laughs.

Generally, the problems that arise in their videos are usually the result of stupidity.
The solutions they devise are competent, but rarely clever.

In a video a few years ago, one of their servers failed. Tech genius Linus had to pay an outside company to recover the data for him.
There was that other server that failed because nobody at the LTT brain trust knew how to manage a RAID array properly.
In the video about the million dollar server, it was sent to him preassembled so all he had to do was plug it in. The college-educated engineers who built it even specifically asked him not to mess with the hardware. Which he did and the thing broke.

However, I'm not a fan and rarely watch videos. I didn't even know they uploaded daily until this whole mess went down.
Maybe there has been a video where he has displayed a flash of genius that I missed.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair I have been using Linux fulltime for like 6 or 7 years now I I literally did not know about that until now, and I have been using the terminal all the time, which I have been used to just using the Left Mouse Button to copy and paste stuff from and to the terminal, lmao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto