Lenovo shows handheld gaming PC concept, LaVie Mini, at CES 2021

lenovo 1.PNG

The Nintendo Switch Pro has been rumored for quite some time already, with some reports suggesting it will launch early this year. But officially there's no word from Nintendo. However, some companies are already imaging a beefier Switch-like handheld device. The latest in this trend is the LaVie Mini concept from Lenovo and its sub-brand NEC which was introduced at CES 2021. This netbook-lookalike features a foldable keyboard, an 8" touchscreen, dedicated gaming controller attachments à la Joy-Cons and would weigh 1.28 pounds without these.

lenovo 2.PNG lenovo 3.PNG

If it were to get produced, the LaVie Mini would pack the following specs:
  • 8-inch touchscreen
  • 1900x1200 resolution
  • Intel 11th-gen i7-1180G7 processors
  • 16GB of LPDDR4x 4266MHz RAM
  • 256GB m.2 SSD
  • Two USB 3.1 and Type-C ports
  • An optical touch sensor instead of a trackpad
While it's a concept and might not get mass produced like the UFO from Alienware, other handheld PCs are already on the market like from GPD and AYA-NEO. What do you think of the LaVie Mini concept? Do you wish to see it available for purchase?

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah and they they say the price and its like 900$... these type of devices always fail, the switch sells because its reasonably cheap more so the lite and has alot of nintendo exclusives to promote it while this devices don't have either and cost an arm and a leg.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You also don't need to hack an Android Smartphone nor Tablet to play Emulators, the rationale being most people would already own those before purchasing this Concept Product.

So what is left, after the fact, are PC Titles that middling in performance to be able to run on this; in that scenario, a whole host of normal Laptops would work and are much better suited for the other aspects of the Consumer's life that aren't limited to an 8" Screen for Productivity.

For the Android Smartphone environment, however, 8" is a nice size and suits the established Gaming Environment, hence my suggestion.
If it doesn't work for you, great. Doesn't mean the rest of us share the same view. There's an audience to be had for devices like these.

wbsddgg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
buy it! because Lenovo export product is always cheaper than national product (same product), where sales in China.
Meanwhile you will got higher hardward, yes it's true.
Chinese people pay more and get worse.
Fark Chuanzhi LIU.

D

Deleted User

If it doesn't work for you, great. Doesn't mean the rest of us share the same view. There's an audience to be had for devices like these.

As you point out, great; I look forward to the snapshot of your Pre-order and Review when it comes out.
Otherwise your asinine attempt at a counter works equally well to counter your conjecture.

The difference between us, though, is that where you attempt to be contrary for its sake without actual supportive arguments, my points end with a suggestion, per normal critique format.

By your logic, my opinion shouldn't matter, yet here you are inanely replying to something that doesn't work for you.
Has it been that slow a day to resort to being oxymoronic.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
>Intel
Big oof. Intel's iGPUs are just absolute trash, always have been (good enough for older games and non-intensive workloads though).

I can't wait till AMD starts showing up more in the mobile world. This just feels like it'd be a more expensive GPD Win.

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if you really need something PC based like this you could dish out $1500 for a Spectre x360 with a 1650 ti. that could replace your laptop, tablet, and portable gaming device, by the time this comes out they will probably have RX series models available at a similar price.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If nintendo did a switch pro it wouldnt be much better in hardware as its games would have to support the shittier versions, cant see nintendo forking out for better internal storage to benefit anything considered as pro features.

I can actually see nintendo pushing the switch to replace the 3ds, then launch a sub par ps4/xbx1 console and lie again promising better third party support

Aka all the games youve missed out on since the ps3/360, or beefed up versions of current gen titles that had massively been dumbed down and look shite.

And before the fanboys get all upset, simply look at all the crap old ports on the switch, all titles you missed first time round (and even nintendo cant be arsed porting wii u titles and not forget the shit job of porting mario64.... the fans did a better job and for free)

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I mean great in theory but ugly design. There's going to be 3 handhelds out this year with good power, GPD Win 3, Aya Neo and OneGX Pro. It will interesting to see how these 3 fight it out and if other major companies would compete now that there are viable chips.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh that's right the Nintendo switch is not a popular portable gaming PC.
Correct, the Switch is a very inexpensive portable gaming console, which is a hugely different demographic than a very expensive small portable gaming PC. Good job friend.

There's a real big difference between people willing to spend $300 on a handheld designed purely for gaming and people willing to spend $800+ on a portable PC that's technically capable of gaming, but has the specs of a $500 laptop with huge drawbacks in battery life, cooling, and everyday usability. There's a reason GPD is basically the only company around that actually sells these kinds of things, it's because the market for them is incredibly niche and there's not remotely enough people interested in actually buying them when they see the price point all these PCs are at. Why do you think Alienware and SmachZ haven't released their little super small gaming PCs, despite having prototypes around for years? Because there's no demand for them, not when they're stupid expensive like all of them are.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why do you think Alienware and SmachZ haven't released their little super small gaming PCs, despite having prototypes around for years?
SmachZ, they wanted to have higher end hardware in their device, so they changed their specs several times in anticipation of new GPUs and CPUs that had been announced in the meantime. SmachZ will always launch "soon".

Alienware took a look at their usual pricing policies, where they charge $2000 for a $500 laptop because it has RGB and is designated "gaming", and decided nobody would be willing to pay what they were asking :tpi:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol