Laptop built-in KB+M not working within Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by YayMii, Feb 20, 2012.

Feb 20, 2012
  1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    My bro's having issues with his laptop. For some reason the built-in keyboard and mouse doesn't work in Windows, but they still work within the BIOS. External keyboards+mice work in Windows though. He tried reinstalling Windows, but with no luck. Anyone know how to fix this? It's an Acer Aspire 7552G-5488.
    Thanks in advance.

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are there software/drivers for that laptop relative to the keyboard and mouse? Did the laptop come with a recovery disk? Simply reinstalling windows may not be enough if it doesn't contain the specific software/drivers for it.

One other thing. Does the laptop have a BIOS setting to allow the built-in keyboard/mouse to be disabled?

3. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    There aren't any drivers for the keyboard (as it's supposed to be detected as a generic keyboard). The trackpad is a standard Synaptics trackpad (and thus uses Synaptics drivers). It should be able to at least point-and-click without the drivers, but it doesn't even appear in Device Manager.

And unless there's some hidden settings somewhere, the keyboard and mouse can't be disabled.

EDIT: Well, both show up in Device Manager now, however their statuses read that the devices can't start (Code 10).

EDIT2: Running Microsoft's new Fixit program just fixed my keyboard by resetting the drivers, but couldn't fix the trackpad. I'm not sure if the keyboard fix is going to hold after a reboot though.

4. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Maybe the wire connection from the keyboard/mouse is faulty. :(

5. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    :unsure: I just rebooted, the trackpad disappeared from Device Manager and the keyboard no longer has an error (which is really odd, because it still doesn't work)