L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My friend ran into a problem with Ubuntu. After copying movies from external sd card reader through OTG cable to the desktop, something went wrong - files could not be played. After restart, boot screen started flashing in unusual way and did not get into desktop but started looping between dark and gray screen. This is Switch with multiboot, with Atmosphere, Ubuntu and Android 10/Q. Problem is only with Ubuntu. Do anyone of you encountered something like this? I don't have direct access to this Switch - is there any way to instruct my friend to enable some logging, fallback/safe mode, or maybe somehow "reset" it? He does not have access to computer, so this will need to be done on Switch itself.

LowScore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I fiddled a bit with xev and jstest and created this config to fix it:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "joystick catchall"
    MatchIsJoystick "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "joystick"
    Option "MapButton5" "disable-all"
    Option "MapButton6"     "key=122"
    Option "MapButton7"     "key=123"
    Option "MapButton8"     "key=232"
    Option "MapButton9"     "key=233"
    Option "MapButton12"     "key=9"
    Option "MapButton11"     "key=36"
    Option "MapButton10"     "key=22"
EndSection

It's slightly different - B for left mouse button, A for middle button and X for right button.
What should I do? Copy your confi into the file? Or I have to search for live updates?

DocBo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, when i use the Dock for my UHD Philips TV, the resolution is only 640x480 and cannot be changed.
Is there a fix?!

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, when i use the Dock for my UHD Philips TV, the resolution is only 640x480 and cannot be changed.
Is there a fix?!
You can force a resolution for dock, by doing as root,
Code:
echo 1920x1080 > /etc/dock-hotplug.conf

obviously, 1920x1280 is 1080p, but you can put any resolution here.

That doesnt mean that every monitor will support any resolution you place in this file, but if this file exists, the dock handler will use the resolution you set in it, even if the monitor doesnt support it.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,
Reactions: DocBo

DocBo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can force a resolution for dock, by doing as root,
Code:
echo 1920x1080 > /etc/dock-hotplug.conf

obviously, 1920x1280 is 1080p, but you can put any resolution here.

That doesnt mean that every monitor will support any resolution you place in this file, but if this file exists, the dock handler will use the resolution you set in it, even if the monitor doesnt support it.

I added the code in terminal but nothing happens, in setting are still 640x480 :/

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes you can do this.
Or you buy an bigger emmc and install all together to the emmc (Horizon, Ubuntu and Android)
You can also install Ubuntu to an external drive, USB key or SSD.

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I do that? Can you explain a bit?
Do what exactly? Use external usb, or install a larger emmc, they are 2 different things. One requires you dump your old emmc, then replace the removable chip on the motherboard with one that has a larger emmc chip soldered to it, then flash back your dump, and you will have the remainder of the size to create the needed partitions for ubuntu, and/or android. Then there is some checksum magic that needs to be done on the gpt, or else the console wont boot normally, and you will always need to boot with a payload. As for linux/android, it will still need an sdcard to boot coreboot from. You do gain some speed advantages if using emmc in linux/android. As for USB, all you need to do is edit the boot txt, and flash the l4t.img file to a partition on the external drive. This option has issues as well, considering you will always need to have the external drive attached, so it isnt great for portability.

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Do what exactly? Use external usb, or install a larger emmc, they are 2 different things. One requires you dump your old emmc, then replace the removable chip on the motherboard with one that has a larger emmc chip soldered to it, then flash back your dump, and you will have the remainder of the size to create the needed partitions for ubuntu, and/or android. Then there is some checksum magic that needs to be done on the gpt, or else the console wont boot normally, and you will always need to boot with a payload. As for linux/android, it will still need an sdcard to boot coreboot from. You do gain some speed advantages if using emmc in linux/android. As for USB, all you need to do is edit the boot txt, and flash the l4t.img file to a partition on the external drive. This option has issues as well, considering you will always need to have the external drive attached, so it isnt great for portability.
No, I was just talking about install linux to nand, not upgrading bigger nand nor installing to a sd card.

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I updated to 2.4.0 and gave dolphin another go. Still no improvements in that area. I guess the switch just isn't powerful enough.
MGS runs horribly, Wind Waker is almost playable but a lit of stutters here and there which are a pet peeve of mine.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im in partition manager but idk what to do
How much space do I give linux EXT4?
And won't it fk up my existing emunand?(atmosphere emunand)
I got 1TB micro SD. Don't want to give unneccessary space to Ubuntu though.

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Noticed recently that the sudo command to install openmw no longer works. I used the command & ppa from page 8 of the app tutorial page.
Returns something along the lines of
Failed dependancy libopenthreads21 cannot be installed? Any help would be amazing if someone has a solution.

Last edited by Jeromy22,

Jeromy22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I managed to get the above working.
Is their some way of getting the switch Axis mapped as windows Key configurations. For example so that the left joystick can be mapped to the four arrow keys??
Ive got the xorg joycon file, just have no idea on mapping the axis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over