L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

GroverCleveland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fantastic and I'm loving having a fully functional Linux distro on my switch but have one question, has anyone gotten the pro controller working wirelessly? If so how is it done?

Reactions: Piepokemon

Notochork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I spend almost all the day googling on how to solve this problem, but with no avail. Seems like it is a server issue or something like that, because few days ago it was working fine.

Hello! I come from the future and I have the same problem. How can I solve that? Install Ubuntu L4T to play Dolphin (I'd like advice on this too) but this problem doesn't allow it. It appears when running 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list' does not work for me.

azkali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks evil_santa I am going to edit the post to add the sed fix (need to increase my message count to at least 5 in order to do that lol)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also I have been completely inactive on GBATemp but we have been working on other distributions that you will be able to use on your Switch stay tuned for more infos on that soon, an Beta should be available very soon and later a proper announce will be made on GBATemp for the release.

Reactions: evil_santa

elektoni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is it possible to access or backup the eMMC partitions (such as Boot0, Boot1, prodinfo and prodinfof) using L4T ubuntu? I tried fdisk and the "disks" gui tool but it lists only the SD card partitions.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to access or backup the eMMC partitions (such as Boot0, Boot1, prodinfo and prodinfof) using L4T ubuntu? I tried fdisk and the "disks" gui tool but it lists only the SD card partitions.
It seems like not yet, from last time I tried two years ago. This likely hasn't changed even in the most recent version.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eMMC is intentionally disabled to prevent people from bricking their devices.
It can be enabled with some overlay thing or by enabling it in the dts, but be careful.

Reactions: Worldblender

elektoni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The eMMC is intentionally disabled to prevent people from bricking their devices.
It can be enabled with some overlay thing or by enabling it in the dts, but be careful.

Could you give me some hints how can I use device tree to enable the hidden emmc, please? I am working on a switch which has a hardware failed (possible corrupted) eMMC and Hekate does not recognize it (init failed). I was wondering if I can try to back up the eMMC using L4T

UTTLCT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I can't get for Hekate to dump my Joy-Con BT data to use in Ubuntu. It does work for one pair of joycons, the first party old ones that drift like crazy, but not for the new third party ones that don't drift. It says the paring failed because the data isn't HOS based even when I've already paired them in my stock sysnand. I wiped my sd card, booted normally into HOS, paired everything and checked that a Nintendo folder had been created, just for Hekate to then say it failed. So my guess is that third party joycons aren't supported, but I'd like to know if someone here can help me. My joycons are the red and blue Binbok model.

BobTheOompaLoompa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright wondering if anyone can help me out here. Installed this once before and had no issues getting everything setup, but now no matter what I do I can't get past signing in to finish the installation process. Bought another switch recently because the one I was using for homebrew had a faulty charging port and now I have to reinstall everything I had done.

I partition the SD cart and flash Linux and all is well with the world, but as soon as I get the point where I have to login I'll tap onto the user name to enter my password and the screen with flash black and the mouse resets and that is as far as I can get. This basically forces me to turn off and reset the switch since trying to click restart or power off in the top right hand corner gives me the same result. I'm stuck in this endless loop where it keeps resetting itself every time I touch the screen. I've tried installing on a new 512GB sd card and even switched back to the 256 I used originally on the old switch, and nothing is working.

Any ideas what kind of issue I am running into here?

Last edited by BobTheOompaLoompa,

LowScore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
quick questions;
how are, overall, the linux performance while docket (if it works in docket mode)? I would use it for web browsing, youtube... web mail and word editing.
DLNA streaming is working?
Which video service apps are available? I know netflix works... what about amazon prime video?
THKS

Tyvar1

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Amazing update, thank you! Performance feels snappier than 3.2. Chromium seems faster.
Bootup is clean and sexy...sadly one of my favorite things so far :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over