L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

LowScore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello guys,
I'm going to partiton my 64GB SD card to install linux; the space available is 16 GB (14GB for HOS, 29GB for emuMMC, 16GB for Linux)
Is it enough?
Thanks

LowScore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, thanks. for now I do not have a bigger SD. I could add more space to the linux partition from the HOS partition; the problem is that I do not have understood what HOS partition is. I mean I would want to have a switch with 3 boot options
OFW
Atmosphere
Linux
what does it mean to take space form HOS?

Adamos_22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
sorry - get wrong - actually emuMMC (EMUnand - what ever called) is for HOS operating system partition and when you try to partitioning by hekate will show you max 32 GB which is right.
rest (FAT32) its for games, homebrew etc.
and as you been aware, linux and android as well.

IGHOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.me
XP
Country
United States
Is it still true that we have to not use 'apt upgrade' to keep cuda drivers to work?
If yes, please tell which packets have to be market for holding from updates.

piek50

Trophies
XP
Country
Suriname
Hello everyone, i've made some basic mappings to use the joycons as a mouse on L4T Ubuntu 3.0 since the previous mappings do not work with the new joycon driver. My mappings are to be used with xorg. To install xorg joystick: sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick. After installing you extract the zip file and move 50-joystick.conf to usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (do it with sudo mv) and then you either reboot or log out and log in again. The mappings are as follow: Left click mouse is B , Right click is A, L and R control volume, ZR and ZL control brightness, Screenshot button enables or disables mouse mode , Home button is Escape, Plus button is enter, Minus button is back.

That's it. This should make most DE pretty usable on switch (like cinnamon which doesn't work well with touchscreen) and help with things like dolphin standalone since that doesn't have a gamepad interface.

Also many thanks to gavin_darkglider and the rest of the switchroot team for giving us an amazing linux experience on switch!
Hey buddy, i like your work and it work perfectly. But is there a way to disable the mapping when using dolphin Emu?
Pressing buttons during playing also give the comments for example volume up, down ext.

Never mind I have figure it out.:)

Last edited by piek50,

piek50

Trophies
XP
Country
Suriname
Let's goooooo. Thanks @bylaws.

FYI Dolphin Ishiiruka works much better with Vulkan than stock Dolphin.

https://github.com/Tinob/Ishiiruka

To install, run this command first to get all of the dependencies for it:
sudo apt install git cmake ffmpeg libavcodec-dev libevdev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev libsfml-dev libminiupnpc-dev libmbedtls-dev curl libhidapi-dev libwxbase3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-dev libpangocairo-1.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev libbluetooth-dev qt5-default qtbase5-private-dev libudev-dev
Then follow the Linux Global Build instructions in the repo to compile/install.
Is there a video tutorial how to install Ishiiruka version? I'm totally new with this.

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a video tutorial how to install Ishiiruka version? I'm totally new with this.
Ishiiruka is not necessary anymore. You can just install regular Dolphin. Check out the switchroot Discord here for lots of help installing/tweaking on L4T Ubuntu. And there's also a 3.3.1 preview update available which improves on 3.3.0 a bunch.:
https://discord.gg/9d66FYg

Reactions: klear

piek50

Trophies
XP
Country
Suriname
Ishiiruka is not necessary anymore. You can just install regular Dolphin. Check out the switchroot Discord here for lots of help installing/tweaking on L4T Ubuntu. And there's also a 3.3.1 preview update available which improves on 3.3.0 a bunch.:
https://discord.gg/9d66FYg
I already have the regular version and use a lot of setting but many games run slow.
ok i will check it out.

Last edited by piek50,

LowScore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone, i've made some basic mappings to use the joycons as a mouse on L4T Ubuntu 3.0 since the previous mappings do not work with the new joycon driver. My mappings are to be used with xorg. To install xorg joystick: sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick. After installing you extract the zip file and move 50-joystick.conf to usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (do it with sudo mv) and then you either reboot or log out and log in again. The mappings are as follow: Left click mouse is B , Right click is A, L and R control volume, ZR and ZL control brightness, Screenshot button enables or disables mouse mode , Home button is Escape, Plus button is enter, Minus button is back.

That's it. This should make most DE pretty usable on switch (like cinnamon which doesn't work well with touchscreen) and help with things like dolphin standalone since that doesn't have a gamepad interface.

Also many thanks to gavin_darkglider and the rest of the switchroot team for giving us an amazing linux experience on switch!

my joycon configuration has changed after some update; for example right mouse button is on the L button; volume up and down and brightness don't work anymore. Any advice?

RSA99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to f-up my L4T 3.3.0 install by apt install with patch for xrdp :-(
It still boots but, now touchscreen, bluetooth and USB no longer work, so I can't get past initial login screen.
I've installed quite a lot and got it setup the way I want, so I don't really want to reset the install.
How do I go about booting to command line (via uenv.txt kernelcmd ?)?
Or am I better trying to rollback the change by connecting the partition to another working ubuntu install? (check dpkg log and manually rollback?)
Any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Rich.

Last edited by RSA99,

RSA99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to f-up my L4T 3.3.0 install by apt install with patch for xrdp :-(
It still boots but, now touchscreen, bluetooth and USB no longer work, so I can't get past initial login screen.
I've installed quite a lot and got it setup the way I want, so I don't really want to reset the install.
How do I go about booting to command line (via uenv.txt kernelcmd ?)?
Or am I better trying to rollback the change by connecting the partition to another working ubuntu install? (check dpkg log and manually rollback?)
Any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Rich.

For anyone with similar trouble : I managed to rescue the install by mounting the SDCARD on a RPi and comparing the filesystem with the one from the install files :-)

A big THANK-YOU to all the devs :-)
Really lovin L4T Switch 3.3.0!!!

Cheers,
Rich.

vojut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
my joycon configuration has changed after some update; for example right mouse button is on the L button; volume up and down and brightness don't work anymore. Any advice?

I fiddled a bit with xev and jstest and created this config to fix it:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "joystick catchall"
    MatchIsJoystick "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "joystick"
    Option "MapButton5" "disable-all"
    Option "MapButton6"     "key=122"
    Option "MapButton7"     "key=123"
    Option "MapButton8"     "key=232"
    Option "MapButton9"     "key=233"
    Option "MapButton12"     "key=9"
    Option "MapButton11"     "key=36"
    Option "MapButton10"     "key=22"
EndSection

It's slightly different - B for left mouse button, A for middle button and X for right button.

Last edited by vojut,
Reactions: LowScore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over