RELEASE L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

natinusala May 15, 2019.

1. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    so can i just update cores individually to get touch controls for light gun games (1.7.8)? or do i have to wait for an official lakka update?

2. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Wait

3. Turnbl

Turnbl Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2017
    United Kingdom
    So I've tried re-installing from scratch again on the Samsung EVO 32GB. I've updated 7z in case that was causing an issue unpacking the release (v18.05>v19).

Still the same issue exists - after around 2 to 2.5 mins play on any game/core the game will exit to the Retroarch menu with a black cross on black background.

This includes Dreamcast (with bios under system\DC), GameCube (no bios), MAME2003 and MAME2010.

I also wondered if it was network related so I've connected to wifi within retroarch just in case - no change, still the same problem.

My final extra clue found tonight is this could be not game related - if i'm navigating the retroarch menu for a few minutes - the same black cross/background crash can happen, which then recovers to the retrorarch menu.

This still could be micro SD card related (only 2 tried), network related (is Retroarch making calls out that are unhandled?), or hardware related (do i have a random version of the Switch with a bad part or revision?)

Any ideas anybody? Is there any local logging to give more clues as to the crash?

Csmrcc likes this.
  4. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Seems to be the sd card to me. Have you tried abother card?

Nm I see in your post you quoted you tried that. No clue then.

Last edited by EmulateLife, Sep 6, 2019
  5. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain

as i told you this happens to me, i tried like 4 sd cards, no way :( i´m starting to think that is because of the hardware somehow different
    had you tried having the switch charging while playing?

6. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    This may be no connection to you guys problems but that happens to me using the Saturn core Yaba Sanshiro only. Almost every game crashes within a few minutes. Every other core that I've tried doesn't crash though so it's probably just a problem with that core.

7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Saturn emulation's better than it's ever been (fuck SSF and having to use Daemon Tools *growls in frustration* and the lack of documentation worse than UNIB's story mode translation), but it's still far from being practical. Case-in-point: the RetroArch core of Yabause (and while we're on the subject of Saturn emulation, the fuck is the difference between this, Yaba Sanshiro, and the beetle core? Which one is generally the best on Windows?) runs 2D games just fine on my ODroid XU4, but the moment anything 3D is rendered, that framerate tanks! And it can run Soul Calibur and other 3D games on DC at a playable framerate, even NAOMI games!

I know, Saturn was such a failure that it was forgotten outside of having a good port of Virtua Fighter 2, the hardware is like having a multi-core CPU in a console before that was the standard, the 3D support wasn't optimized if you weren't making a first party game, there's not much documentation in English about the what all the Saturn can do, etc..

8. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Can i suggest(if you have a friend with an exploitable switch) trying the exact same sd card on his switch in its current state.
    Honestly, the only thing I can think of is 1) for some reason your .cfg files are getting corrupted on the initial lakka boot.
    2) The hardware inside your switch is somehow causing this issue.

9. Turnbl

Turnbl Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Reading back through your posts I see your Switch revision number starts XAJ7001... mine starts XAJ70001... so could well be a specific hardware issue? Unless anybody else can confirm their Lakka works fine with that revision?

Another clue in case it means anything to anyone - as well as it seems Retroarch itself is crashing periodically in the menu with the black cross and background, before recovering to the menu so possibly not game related - after leaving the device for a bit longer, I have seen Retroarch re-orientate itself to portrait mode (i.e. the text turns 90 degrees like in TATE mode). This remains until i reboot.

A few more questions just to check with everybody:

1) I'm using RCMloader & Hekate. I assume i am payloading correctly by choosing: Launch -> (down twice) More Configs... -> (down once) Lakka?
    2) I'm removing the payload & jig after Retroarch menu appears on boot and sliding the right joycon in. Assume this is correct?
    3) I can't find specific information anywhere of what cluster the SD card should be formatted to? I'm going to try 32kb a final time.
    4) I haven't used the add games method - i've only ever browsed to the game itself in a folder. I shall try this method although I'm not sure this is a requirement?

My current test games are:
    Sonic Adventure 2 (DC) - for a bios test
    Mario Golf (GC) - for a non bios test on a stable emulator
    Frogger (MAME2003) - for a simple lightweight game not maxing the processors

But like I say it's probably not game related now... Unfortunately I don't have a friend with a Switch so can't test my SD image on other hardware.

Last edited by Turnbl, Sep 7, 2019
    Csmrcc likes this.
  10. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    I have the rotation issues too, it's the same my problem and yours.
    I though that the updated lakka maybe would fix this but I'm starting to think it's hardware related, and our same serial number supports that option.
    :(
    Maybe there is no lakka for us unfortunately.

Btw: I also tried Ubuntul4 on switch for playing Wii and gc games and also it installed properly but after that it worked badly like lakka, stopping, being slow. . .

Last edited by Csmrcc, Sep 8, 2019
  11. intellettuanale

intellettuanale GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Italy
    Is there a way to update ota?
    And a way to run a script on boot?

12. Shaneus

Shaneus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2006
    Australia
    Cores need to be manually compiled for each release (or something like that) and tested, so there's no online updating... at least for cores. It may be different for shaders/overlays etc.

It's different with Retroarch in Horizon, but not Lakka.

intellettuanale likes this.
  13. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    Ciso better

14. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Ciso is much riskier as it can remove vital data that can outright break games. I guess it depends if you consider more compressed better with much higher risk.

15. Shaneus

Shaneus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2006
    Australia
    Not wanting to nag, but what are the chances we'd get the Android/iOS lightgun touchscreen feature implemented into Lakka? I don't know if that's a difficult task or not, or if it's even possible.

16. Hemboy

Hemboy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Spain
    Loving this, great work :bow: Any ideas why the display isn't switching to my tv when docked though? Is there a display option to toggle somewhere? I can see it should be displaying as the overclock options include those for in the docked state. Any thoughts much appreciated :)

17. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/faq.html

Teach a man to fish :)

18. JPZ5

JPZ5 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 23, 2019
    United States
    Anyone having issues with Zelda games and Mupen? It seems to be emulating great, but cannot hit the start button, crashes immediately. Occurs on both OOT and MM. I know this didn't happen on the previous version of Lakka. I just upgraded to the new one, it was an upgrade, not a fresh install. I tried to do some googling but could not find anything specficially that caused it. I also downloaded 3 different versions of both US and EU verions and all crash when clicking start to open the menu.

19. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    If you want to use mupen64 mainly, i very strongly suggest the older build of L4T lakka(unless you want to play yoshis story). Using the older lakka release i can promise will fix zelda, (hdperpixel lighting mupen option-as a sidenote), fix conkers bad fur day, and reduces stuttering in a good few games. The plugin breaks zelda with the version you are running.

Last edited by Basketto, Sep 13, 2019
  20. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    my hekate says no ini found on bootloader/ini.....there is an ini of lakka

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted