Lakka 4.0 out now, features rewritten Switch port with better performance

thumb-300x208.png

Lakka has hit version 4.0, with the latest update to the retro gaming-focused OS available to download now. This is a major update, bringing to the table an updated build system and a complete rewrite of the Switch port of Lakka that boasts better performance than before. This version of Lakka is based on LiberELEC 10.0.2, and has new Libretro cores, alongside the 1.10.1 update of RetroArch.
  • Build system based on LibreELEC 10.0.2
  • RetroArch updated to 1.10.1
  • Cores updated to their most recent versions
    • superbroswar: added new libretro core
    • sameduck: added new libretro core
  • Mesa updated to 22.0.0
  • Mainline kernel updated to 5.10.103 (PC, Amlogic, Allwinner, NXP)
  • Raspberry kernel updated to 5.10.95
  • Most arm devices switched to aarch64
  • Rockchip RK3288, RK3328 and RK3399 switched to mainline kernel 5.10.76
  • Added support for additional Allwinner and Amlogic devices (not tested on our side, as we do not own many of these devices)
  • Nintendo Switch: complete rewrite of the port with many fixes and enhancements
  • Tinkerboard and MiQi now use common system RK3288 (hence the change of the image names); you need to place empty file named .nocompat in the /storage/.update folder / Update Samba share
  • Dropped support for RPi4.arm

:arrow: Source

megahog2012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a seperate os based off of Retroarch that made PC's and other device essentially a retro-gaming machine. Performance does vary from platform to platform and it also depends on what CPU and video-cards are being used.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mariko model got compatibility or just Erista is compatible yet? Don't remember if Mariko support is a problem cuz it have new drivers or something else

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know not yet, unless a hardmod is readily available.
That's not the question. A hardmod has ALWAYS been, and will probably always be, required to run homebrew on a Mariko. The fact is that Lakka/Android simply does not run on it, and the problem AFAIK is within coreboot itself. The question is, is THAT resolved? I would like to know too. If I have to sacrifice 20 Switches and 20 oled modchips, I WILL get one installed and working by myself. I would love to be able to launch Android and/or Lakka on it. (OLED uses a Mariko variety of X1 chip, in case you didn't realize it).

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

emilin_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would this work for old windows games? i have a few old games i want to play or win98 for nostalgia, but win10 is kind of a jerk about it.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The build its ok in the raspberry 3 but i dont see any parameters to enable overclock...so if you want squeeze tha maximum speed in your raspberry avoid lakka 4.0

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm... Dropped support for RPi4.arm. I know you can't stop progress, but wasn't the aarch64 build pretty poor at running Dreamcast games? Maybe it improved since the last time I checked? I'll just have to find out.

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got this to try it out, pretty dope, not gonna lie.

Wish they could add one thing tho, make reboot or shutdown boot back into RCM lol.

Some optimization for gamecube games would be neat too XD Really wish Wind Waker would play nice! haha

Last edited by JayBae,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Just got this to try it out, pretty dope, not gonna lie.

Wish they could add one thing tho, make reboot or shutdown boot back into RCM lol.

Some optimization for gamecube games would be neat too XD Really wish Wind Waker would play nice! haha
So, Gamecube still plays kinda bad? Was going to try this on the weekend but if you have some experience please share it.

I wish to play Metroid Prime, WindWaker and Paper Mario.

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Gamecube still plays kinda bad? Was going to try this on the weekend but if you have some experience please share it.

I wish to play Metroid Prime, WindWaker and Paper Mario.
In small rooms it runs okay, but the overworld is riddled with lag, I did not even play long to find out how it acts with multiple enemies on screen tho. I thought because it was just running retroarc with none of the switch stuff in the background, that maybe it would run better, but that does not seem to be the case. It's a lil better, but far from perfect. Also to even play it iat a decent speed it needs to be plugged in or docked, so you can overclock the GPU and CPU. otherwise it's a major battery hog.

• Sad
Reactions: nWo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: