Kinect lets autistic kids play videogames.

tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Kinect lets autistic kids play videogames.

ak.jpg

Now, let me say a few years ago, my son was diagnosed with Autism.

So, when my son really wanted to try out Kinect, I was more than happy to oblige. He’s taken up to watching me play a lot of video games and tries to play some himself. Controllers for the PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360 do frustrate him and he has a lot of trouble controlling the characters on the screen using the peripherals, but he’s always willing to try and keep on practicing in getting better. As he tells me sometimes, “I want to play with you, Daddy.” so he’s pretty persistent in trying to get proficient with them.

What proceeded to happen was pretty amazing to me.

I said hold out your hand and place it on the button. Without any hesitation, he put his hand up and moved it over the button on the screen and held it there until the circle animation finished, indicating the button has been pressed. After that initial coaching, he proceeded to move around in the menus without much vocal cues from me. I just stood there and was flabbergasted by what I just saw. It’s intuitive enough that I spent barely any time teaching my four year old special needs son how to go about the menu system.

For the first time, I was able to play something with my son and not spend any time with him being frustrated on not being to do anything or have a character get stuck on the screen. He had fun with all the games and actually did well with them. The joy in his eyes as he was able to complete the tasks and move around in the menus is something I’ll never forget.

While he still struggles in communicating, I know there’s one thing he can do without having to deal with any of the frustrations Autism has brought upon in his life. And for me, that’s worth much more than the $150 I spent in picking up the peripheral.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

D'awwwwwwww.
Contributed by Rydian

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Having a certain form of austism myself this makes me smile cuz I know how hard it can be on the parents and the kid who has autism.... Microsoft(ies) is finally semi usefull!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
>This is a single case of an autistic kid that can only play video games on Kinect, because he doesn't get frustrated because he doesn't get stuck.
>I know a bunch of autistic kids that play video games just fine, no matter how many times they get stuck. Sure, they get frustrated, but doesn't everyone?

Derp.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm one of those autistic kids who can play videogames just fine
tongue.gif

I've got a light variant, though, which isn't really comparable to the more heavy variants.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
>This is a single case of an autistic kid that can only play video games on Kinect, because he doesn't get frustrated because he doesn't get stuck.
>I know a bunch of autistic kids that play video games just fine, no matter how many times they get stuck. Sure, they get frustrated, but doesn't everyone?

Derp.

Austistic as in dont talk and rock in a corner autistic or are actually somewhat sociable and have interaction with society? cuz the latter is more towards aspergers rather then full on austism

The thing is, people with full on autism can pay videogames but some of them have severe temper issues and a controller is far more frustrating then using your body cuz your more in control *its all about teh logic with those people*

jeffro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.fakegaming.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arras said:
I'm one of those autistic kids who can play videogames just fine
tongue.gif

I've got a light variant, though, which isn't really comparable to the more heavy variants.

Same here, I'm even coding and actually doing everything a normal person would do.

Well, communication face to face is more or less a scary thing for me but thats about all.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is complete BS in so many ways. It's Microsoft trying to cash in on something. I could rant about neurodiversity and such, but I mean, that kid looks like he's 7 at the absolute oldest. How many little kids who aren't avid gamers don't get frustrated when they're not doing well in a video game? Christ, I'm autistic and I've been playing video games since I was 3.

GODDAMN IT MICROSOFT KEEP AUTISM OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN ADVERTISING SCHEMES.

Random fact: There are a fairly large number of us autistics fighting to retain the right to be autistic. It is things like this that set the movement back, painting a picture of Autism as something that is undebatably bad.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't like this story, it paints a false story about autism.
If anything it's much more common that autists may escape into video gaming, regardless of the input methods, buttons or infra red array.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hmm, what? All autistics are different, and I know there's nothing in the diagnosis that keeps them from playing video games. This one kid just found it more intuitive with Kinect. In fact, since some of them have gross motor skill issues, this could be worse. That kid is tiny. If I went to my cousin's house and showed one of the kids of that age Super Mario World, they'd probably have issues with it too. And less issues with Kinect.

I'm remaining objective and not drawing my own Asperger Syndrome into play, given I'm very high functioning and have never had any issues with video games. This just sounds like a publicity stunt, let alone the negative picture of autism it and the rest of the media enjoys painting.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
D'AWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I guess it's intuitive for young kids in general, but I don't think autism really affects that all too much.
RupeeClock said:
I don't like this story, it paints a false story about autism.
If anything it's much more common that autists may escape into video gaming, regardless of the input methods, buttons or infra red array.
It's true.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
ZaeZae64 said:
Kinect lets mini Chris Chans play video games despite the fact most of 'em already have! Go M$

That sounded more douche-ish then I intended it to be..
Please don't mention that person.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1