Kinect lets autistic kids play videogames.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iYoshi- said:
Stevetry said:
so kinec can only be be play by mentally challenge people >?
Pretty much

itsm ore that you look like one

also stop bashing this stuff, yea some of you know autistic people who can appearantly function just fine, which means either they dont have it or a light form or theyre damn good at pretending, but in the end its about what really goes on in the head of someone with autism or related syndromes like aspergers. I for one would be very happy to give kinect a go due to the frustrations i get from normal controllers that i partly blame on my AS

and Little Catboy, I agree not really news worthy, more off topic stuff

and about it painting a false image of autism, autism already has a false picture as being retarded people so this doesnt really change anything, if anything it might get people more intrested to find more info about it

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Stevetry said:
so kinec can only be be play by mentally challenge people >?
Ironic, isn't it?
rolleyes.gif

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This news ticks me somewhat off. I am diagnosed with autism myself, asperger's syndrome, and I think this article generalizes autism. Yes autism is a problem, but you have a wide range of autism types, like asperger syndrom and PDD-NOS. I myself like gaming because it is a nice distraction for me. And although gaming can be frustrating (for who doesn't it once in a while
tongue.gif
) I don't think games are hard to play. And this is what I think what makes this a bad article. They don't describe WHAT autism the boy has and they call it autism for convenience, just because most people don't know about it.

ds22

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
shadowmanwkp said:
This news ticks me somewhat off. I am diagnosed with autism myself, asperger's syndrome, and I think this article generalizes autism. Yes autism is a problem, but you have a wide range of autism types, like asperger syndrom and PDD-NOS. I myself like gaming because it is a nice distraction for me. And although gaming can be frustrating (for who doesn't it once in a while
tongue.gif
) I don't think games are hard to play. And this is what I think what makes this a bad article. They don't describe WHAT autism the boy has and they call it autism for convenience, just because most people don't know about it.
I agree.
I'm light autistic myself and am slightly offended that people don't even take the time to tell what kind of autism the boy has.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
ds22 said:
I agree.
I'm light autistic myself and am slightly offended that people don't even take the time to tell what kind of autism the boy has.

Why is it offending to not be made aware of the personal details regarding someone else's issue?

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
iPikachu said:
eh i dont get it, i just read it as kinect magically made that kid play and the other consoles don't?
*rereads*
No the kid couldn't handle other consoles due the controllers. With Kinect that problem disappears!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Christ. Reading the linked article and it's comments is too much to ask of the 'temp, it seems. I mean, there's even a bright yellow icon with an arrow pointing to it.
Reminds me of the April fool's joke here this year, where it was posted in the news that the 3DS itself was an April fool's joke... and most of the temp didn't get it at first, because nobody bothered to click the source link (which lead to a message saying it was a joke).

The comments section is an interesting read in this article, particularly. It highlights the fact that there's plenty of autistic people that grow up perfectly fine, but some retreat into videogames, while others want to but have trouble with the controls. It also covers people who are around 15 or so. You know, unlike the kid in the article. Anybody ever stop and get past the whole "article about a kid with a disability" thing to think that maybe part of the reason he's having trouble is because HE'S ONLY FOUR FUCKING YEARS OLD? I even made sure to include a picture of the kid (instead of a pic of kinect) to make sure people would realize he's fucking four.

Also, you all saying he's like 9... try watching less anime (where shota-looking boys and loli-looking girls are always "at least 18").

WiiHoney

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
thing to think that maybe part of the reason he's having trouble is because HE'S ONLY FOUR FUCKING YEARS OLD? I even made sure to include a picture of the kid (instead of a pic of kinect) to make sure people would realize he's fucking four.

Thank you, aahhh you........you....

Kid is four, 4 years old kids can not read words only letters...

My kid is normal and she still having problem figuring out what botton to click next... actualy few times she clicked on the online purchase of new games of the ABC the hungry caterpillar games.. why? because she cant read....

If a game asks for "yes" or "no" or "quit" answer... then its ok, i guess she memorize what each picture means...

If a game ask for "Do you want me to repeat what i said?" and the answer is "Why do you need to repeat it, got it!" or "How about one more time, i was distracted". then she wont know what to do and she has to do trials and errors to figure it out... for 4 years old, this is very frustrating...

If the game comes with too many instruction... then she looses interest in it...

Best example of a game that she likes to play the same levels over and over is Wii Kirby, either press 1 or 2 with pics...

Anyway, this article reminds me of the one with the Girls who learn to walk using a wii games...

Funny how easy it is to prey on human feeling...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alato said:
D'AWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I guess it's intuitive for young kids in general, but I don't think autism really affects that all too much.

See that's what I think too, regardless of his autism, he is very young and has an easier time interacting with the kinect because of it's design being so simplistic.
I mean incredibly simplistic, there's no complexity of buttons, and the software is designed to guide you to enjoy yourself more than anything.

Thinking really, that hints at the possibility this kid could be good at physical activity, which he should maybe be encouraged to do.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are different sides to the Autism spectrum. Some with Autism are worse off than others. My cousin will never be able to take care of herself. She make cereal, toast, ect, but other than that she really can't do much by herself and she's 13. Still she can play games like the Wii Bowling and run around in Zelda without knowing what she has to do. I think she even has a Cooking Mama game, although I'm not entirely sure what she does in it as I haven't seen her play it. She really enjoys the bowling though and it isn't THAT complicated. The kid that's having trouble with the controls probably needs to be in therapy, that's what my cousin does and she's pretty severe.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to do learning support with autistic kids, they played games perfectly well and better than most "hardcore" gamers.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Article says he's a 4 year old High Functioning Autistic, in other words, Aserger Syndrome (Like me). This is not remotely news worthy. He's bloody 4. Very few people can play video games properly at 4. Unfortunately, the article, or maybe the parents, put a nice little spin on it, and suggest all his problems are caused by his disorder. Which is not unexpected, sadly.

Also Rydian, I already pointed that out. Not with the swearing or caps, but I mentioned none of my cousins at that age can do squat with video games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2