Kinect lets autistic kids play videogames.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is just the kind of article I...needed

I work in a residental school for children with autism. And um, at the risk of sounding like a dick, let's say that none of the kids are...really capable of reading, or posting in this topic. >>

One student maybe, but that's it. Out of the school's 150-student population, I can only think of 3 students that I'd call "gamers". They like Mario games [actually, one of the students in my classroom picked up Glory of Heracles and Spirit Tracks on a home visit (keep in mind he's comparable mentally to a 3 year old). I saw the receipt he took with him to school, looked at it and actually laughed "Holy shit!" out loud - I couldn't keep it in. Keep in mind this boy is MR and can't read let alone tie his shoes, yet he's got the best gaming library ever. WHAT] but, for most of the students at my school they have a hard time understanding the controller in relation to movements onscreen.

That tangent written out, my boss actually approached me as she was considering purchasing a Wii for the classroom - we're a research school as well so finding out how well it works out for the population would also massively benefit us as well
tongue.gif
At the time, Natal wasn't even proposed and I was on the fence about it most of the time, not really sure how well it'd fare with our population.
After seeing the Kinect, however, it's like this lightbulb in my head went off - it's interactive gaming like the Wii, but it's more like those IR gaming setups you see at children's museums, but downsized and playable right in the household. And it's controller-free.

A year's about passed since I started in that classroom, and our classroom demographic has changed dramatically, from having the highest-functioning to medium-low, but it's amazing - I think this new group of kids could actually take advantage of the Kinect much better than something like the Wii - especially since the menus are voice-activated and don't really require much reading skills. I'm seriously considering bringing back the proposal with new information and the support from some other teachers - and it seriously helps when one of the teachers is a hardcore gamer who plays a ton of FPSes on PSN
Even if we're brand-loyalty nerds it's impossible to not acknowledge the accessibility of Kinect
tongue.gif

The only thing is that I'm pretty sure some of the higher-functioning kids would be humongous jerks and shout "XBOX, SHUTDOWN" while their classmates are playing, rofl

oh no i've typed like an entire article what have i done

PS. Now that I think about it, I've heard Kinect is extremely finicky about voice-recognition. Only one student in the class can really speak clearly and loudly; every other student has speech impediments in one form or another (grammar most of all, but particularly pronunciation - one student's pronounces L's like Spanish LL's, so ruler becomes "rooyur"...hmm) so I don't know if that'd be difficult for Kinect to pick up

But, now that I think about it, can Kinect do voice recognition like
-every student has a profile
-to test voice commands, student "reads aloud" phrases back to Kinect, similar to how it's done with cellphone voice-activated command works
-Kinect understands strings of phrases, i.e. "XBOX - Start ____"

if so that'd totally work, but I'm sure Kinect is tailored so specifically that it recognizes your Brooklyn accent if you have one

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yes, I can certainly see that. However, this kid isn't exactly like the ones you work with. He’s a 4 year old high functioning autistic. 4 year olds can’t read or play video games anyway. And I’m assuming you work with low functioning autistics. There’s rather a big difference. I am and know high functioning autistics. We have no problems with video games, I was playing them at 7 at the latest.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
Mean or not, I really don't see this as that big a deal and really not news worthySays the person who used to post topics like these non-stop.

Veho said:
Stevetry said:
so kinec can only be be play by mentally challenge people >?Ironic, isn't it?
rolleyes.gif
lol

But how did you quote a post that was made after yours?
huh.gif
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Nov 12 2010, 02:38 PM)
Christ. Reading the linked article and it's comments is too much to ask of the 'temp, it seems. I mean, there's even a bright yellow icon with an arrow pointing to it.
I read it before even reading this topic. I still stand by my opinion that this is just stupid.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Yes, I can certainly see that. However, this kid isn't exactly like the ones you work with. He’s a 4 year old high functioning autistic. 4 year olds can’t read or play video games anyway. And I’m assuming you work with low functioning autistics. There’s rather a big difference. I am and know high functioning autistics. We have no problems with video games, I was playing them at 7 at the latest.
oops. I totally wasn't responding to your post, I was just sort of

tangent-ing

I'm quite aware of the difference, that's why it's called the Autism Spectrum - because there's the very low-functioning (cognitive level of an infant, great difficulty coping with the sensory overload of his/her surroundings) and the high-functioning person (with mostly just Asperger's, some difficulty in social settings [not picking up on social cues, facial expressions])
A person with autism [high-functioning] shouldn't and probably wouldn't have any trouble at all with videogames. :V

And I am not doubting you for a second, I have a few friends with Aspergers who wipe the floor with me in Brawl, lol

I was more-or-less thinking out loud, I suppose - most of students in the classroom I work in are cognitively 4 and up
And yes - said child is a high-functioning child with autism, once again I'm aware that there are big differences between the two x)
This kinda doesn't seem news-worthy as others have said, it's just another means of saying "hey, look - our new toy is really, really accessible! buy one!" but
this article just...

a light bulb...

yeah

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay guys let me break this down for you. I'm Autistic, I have ADD, I started playing my N64 when I was 3 and I was highly functioning. But does THIS kid have a Video Game brain like other 4 year olds where they master it? NO, If he can't use a fucking controller properly then thats something he's going to live with until he grows in a couple of years.

And also I know John, he works with my dad, When my dad saw some of the negative replies in this thread he was in disgust.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Eh, I wish my parents had let me play video games when I was 4. Granny ended up buying me a system when I was 6 or 7.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Considering all the bitching on both sides, you're going to have to define "negative" here. XD
From my opinion, these are negative replies.
Overlord Nadrian said:
>This is a single case of an autistic kid that can only play video games on Kinect, because he doesn't get frustrated because he doesn't get stuck.
>I know a bunch of autistic kids that play video games just fine, no matter how many times they get stuck. Sure, they get frustrated, but doesn't everyone?

Derp.
QUOTE(Supreme Dirt @ Nov 11 2010, 02:25 PM)
This is complete BS in so many ways. It's Microsoft trying to cash in on something. I could rant about neurodiversity and such, but I mean, that kid looks like he's 7 at the absolute oldest. How many little kids who aren't avid gamers don't get frustrated when they're not doing well in a video game? Christ, I'm autistic and I've been playing video games since I was 3.
GODDAMN IT MICROSOFT KEEP AUTISM OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN ADVERTISING SCHEMES.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
What's really stopping autistic kids from playing video games anyway?
This is one of the most open questions ever

and so i'll answer it with an open answer

frankly: it depends on the child

nothing is really stopping children with autism from playing the vidya; but most of the time [well, I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who works in direct care for persons with severe autism - probably applies for elsewhere on the spectrum] frustration is what holds the child back from ~becoming a gamer~
Not sure how to describe the kid's circumstance, but it could be spatial issues as well [understanding relation between controller-to-character movement, which is of course second nature to us lol]

actually, given the population I work with, the issue is the overbearing sensory input and stimuli addiction

kind of like how a person in our generation always checks his phone, needs to talk or is very impulsive
that's the need to have said mental stimulation that compares to the intense experience that videogames offer
(and why parents yell at their kids to stop playing)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pikachu used jumper cables it was sadism lol