Kazuo Hirai has said the Vita has sold on the low end of expectations.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
>>comparing 2 month old wiiu to almost 2 year old vita

:D sure xist

Sales are sales. If anything it's scarier for a new system from a company which often fails to court third parties to sell averagely.

Also, obviously since in your book the Vita is almost 2 years old the Wii U must be almost a year old. Plus you bought a Vita....

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's funny, this news kind of mirrors the predicament the Wii U finds itself in at the moment.

Invariably both systems will be fine in the end, and after all when a system has the "highest rated handheld game ever released", it's certainly not going to be struggling to exist indefinitely.

There's a clear difference, Wii U sold less than expected but the Vita sales are really bad. At least in Japan, total sales of Wii U correspond to 694,370 while the total sales of the Vita are 1,164,134 units. Summing it up, it took a couple of months for Wii U to sell half of the amount of Vitas sold since its launch.

D

Deleted_171835

xist, stop being delusional.

I'm not going to lie and say that the Wii U is selling hotcakes. It's not due to a multitude of reasons (lack of advertising, small game library, etc.) That said, the Vita's situation and the Wii U's situation are not comparable.

The Wii U is doing better than the PS3 and 360 were at the same point in time. It's also doing better than the PS3 did at launch in Japan. To claim that the situation it's in is comparable to the Vita is just ignorant.

And "highest rated handheld game ever released" doesn't matter when it's a port. Is OOT 3D (same score as P4G) the reason the 3DS is selling well?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's funny, this news kind of mirrors the predicament the Wii U finds itself in at the moment.

Invariably both systems will be fine in the end, and after all when a system has the "highest rated handheld game ever released", it's certainly not going to be struggling to exist indefinitely.

Uh no.

WiiU is selling less than predicted against the Wii at that point in time. The WiiU was only shy of a couple hundred thousand to match the sales of the Wii at ... what was it guys, 6 weeks on the market or something?

They aren't saying the sales are bad or anything or they're in trouble. Vita however.... well it's going to need a damn jolt of electricity to get it going. It's actually selling bad. WiiU isnt.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
xist, stop being delusional.

I'm not being delusional about the relative successes of the consoles....Valwin is in his continued attempts to insist that the Vita is dead.

I merely wanted to highlight the similarity in the statements made by the two companies in an effort to point out that these statements are generally irrelevant. It's well documented the Vita hasn't sold particularly well...is it really any surprise that expectations haven't been met? Really?

Equally, the hype levels surrounding the Wii U's sales haven't been met. These two statements released to the press in the last week or so are very similar. The Wii U is practically absent in parts of Europe, as was the Vita....it's a surprise given the success of the Wii.

You get Valwin banned again and I'll stop refuting his gibberish, simple as.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales are sales. If anything it's scarier for a new system from a company which often fails to court third parties to sell averagely.

Also, obviously since in your book the Vita is almost 2 years old the Wii U must be almost a year old. Plus you bought a Vita....

xist you cant just go around comparing systems that have been out for different periods of time after the wiiu is out for a year them we will truly know if it flop or not back when the vita came out i always say i will give it a year to judge it

if the wiiu is a flop i will be the first one saying it here

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
xist you cant just go around comparing systems that have been out for different periods of time after the wiiu is out for a year them we will truly know if it flop or not back when the vita came out i always say i will give it a year to judge it

if the wiiu is a flop i will be the first one saying it here

Good thing I was comparing the statements made by the two companies about their sales then. Which were similar....

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
"On the low end of expectations" sounds like they planned it not selling into their expectations. He could have worded that better.

Personally, I'm annoyed about the hidden memory cost. You're restricted to Sony's oft overpriced proprietary media, and the 4GB card that seems to be bundled into most Vita packages is barely enough for one major title. I suppose having games on carts offloads some of that, but I'm still wary.

I'd love to own one, but I'd like to see more games that suit my tastes, and a better price point.

I can see it gaining steam later on though. They just have to avoid the making the same myriad of mistakes they made on the PSP

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"On the low end of expectations" sounds like they planned it not selling into their expectations. He could have worded that better.

Personally, I'm annoyed about the hidden memory cost. You're restricted to Sony's oft overpriced proprietary media, and the 4GB card that seems to be bundled into most Vita packages is barely enough for one major title. I suppose having games on carts offloads some of that, but I'm still wary.

I'd love to own one, but I'd like to see more games that suit my tastes, and a better price point.

I can see it gaining steam later on though. They just have to avoid the making the same myriad of mistakes they made on the PSP

So how does the save data work on the Vita? Is it saved to the console, or a memory card, or the game cart like 3DS?

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nnnoooo there's a difference. If you want to compare them, you have to go by the Vita's first 3 months, and the WiiU's current life of 3 months. The WiiU has sold better than it. Sales are NOT sales. You cannot compare 2 years to 3 months. There's simply no correlation there.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will probably be the same story when the PS4 is released.

"Well, it's been one year since the release of the PS4, the best piece of video gaming hardware on the market. Mike Patcher said this will be the best gaming console for a generation. So, what went so wrong, even the Vita sales are better than that of the PS4. Never mind the high price and the fact that only new retail game discs or games purchased from SEN will work on the console. Sony cut their own throats with the introduction of the RFID chip to insure no pre-owned games work with the console. RIP Sony."

cammelspit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one think the Vita selling poorly is just sad. I LOOVED my PSP and even though it was no DS as far as sales it was still a strong contender. The Vita? Well, it's mostly price I would say. I owned my OWN video game retail store for over 8 years and I was in the thick of the sales of DS and PSP and Wii. WiiU is just not the Wii. The Wii is basically a reeprograamable TV game as far as I am concerned with low power, but also low COST. Little johny at the game isle says to Mommy "I WANT!" What is the parent going to buy? 150$ Wii a 300$ 360 or a 600$ PS3... Duh.... Wii. Most families will prolly get a WiiU eventually but the same kind of adoption will take a bit of time bacause the economy sucks ass and the Vita vs DS vs 3DS thing is really the same. Price really IS king when it comes to middle class families. Vits is toast, *Tear* it will never even compare to the origenal PSP but it IS a very impressive piece of hardware so heres to the Vita! (CHEERS!)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse than the hardware selling so poorly is that software is selling bad as well, the top ten selling Vita games combined is a little over 1 million units. The best selling 3DS game is closing in on 6 million by itself.

A price drop would help the Vita but I have trouble believing Sony can afford to take a loss on hardware right now.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the prophecy of the Great Valwin was right... You all know what this means right?

MFyMp.jpg

I AM A BELIEVER.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.