Hacking Just acquired a 4.2 3DS XL, should I run Gateway 1.2 or wait for 2.0 release?

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the topic states, I am trying to decide if I should just wait it out.
I currently have a Silver Luigi 3DS that's up to date with Zelda and Pokemon to hold me over.

Is the upgrade process easy? Do I just replace the launcher.dat file, format my SD, and install Emunand once I upgrade?

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you do, make sure to avoid running a system update. I would imagine 4.2 firmware units aren't all that easy to come by these days.

On the wiki, there's quite a bit of information regarding the emuNAND feature. If you have any questions, I would recommend looking there first:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq#How_do_I_update_my_EmuNAND.3F

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these devices at the moment, so I'm unable to help you any further. Perhaps another user can provide further assistance if you run into trouble.

spiderben25

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
If you can live without emunand, I suggest you stay on 1.2 for now. 2.0b1 doesn't support 7.1 fully so there is really no point in using it. As for 2.0b2, it's risky, I guess you know why.
When 2.0 comes out, you will have to replace the launcher.dat with the newer one and that's all. The rest of the process (formatting and updating emunand) takes place on your 3DS.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you do, make sure to avoid running a system update. I would imagine 4.2 firmware units aren't all that easy to come by these days.

On the wiki, there's quite a bit of information regarding the emuNAND feature. If you have any questions, I would recommend looking there first:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq#How_do_I_update_my_EmuNAND.3F

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these devices at the moment, so I'm unable to help you any further. Perhaps another user can provide further assistance if you run into trouble.
Yeah, it was a by a stroke of luck that I found one on Ebay while looking up market prices for stuff I was going to sell.
The title didn't show any FW version, instead the seller had put the serial number in the description of the auction!

In short I paid only $170 for a BRAND NEW 3DS XL Blue with 4.2!

Anyways, thank you for the link about updating my Emunand!
Are there any other Wikis, FAQs, or the like that I should read before attempting anything?
Searching forums isn't very efficient. I have 2 jobs and 3 classes, so any link to guides would be great!

Reactions: digipimp75

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I did was download the firmware and guides from Gateway's website and carefully followed each step. If you can read, you can do it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4