Just acquired a 4.2 3DS XL, should I run Gateway 1.2 or wait for 2.0 release?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AOforever1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AOforever1
    OP

AOforever1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    As the topic states, I am trying to decide if I should just wait it out.
    I currently have a Silver Luigi 3DS that's up to date with Zelda and Pokemon to hold me over.

Is the upgrade process easy? Do I just replace the launcher.dat file, format my SD, and install Emunand once I upgrade?

2. Kyohack

Kyohack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Whatever you do, make sure to avoid running a system update. I would imagine 4.2 firmware units aren't all that easy to come by these days.

On the wiki, there's quite a bit of information regarding the emuNAND feature. If you have any questions, I would recommend looking there first:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq#How_do_I_update_my_EmuNAND.3F

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these devices at the moment, so I'm unable to help you any further. Perhaps another user can provide further assistance if you run into trouble.

3. spiderben25

spiderben25 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2007
    France
    East of the France
    If you can live without emunand, I suggest you stay on 1.2 for now. 2.0b1 doesn't support 7.1 fully so there is really no point in using it. As for 2.0b2, it's risky, I guess you know why.
    When 2.0 comes out, you will have to replace the launcher.dat with the newer one and that's all. The rest of the process (formatting and updating emunand) takes place on your 3DS.

4. AOforever1
    OP

AOforever1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Yeah, it was a by a stroke of luck that I found one on Ebay while looking up market prices for stuff I was going to sell.
    The title didn't show any FW version, instead the seller had put the serial number in the description of the auction!

In short I paid only $170 for a BRAND NEW 3DS XL Blue with 4.2!

Anyways, thank you for the link about updating my Emunand!
    Are there any other Wikis, FAQs, or the like that I should read before attempting anything?
    Searching forums isn't very efficient. I have 2 jobs and 3 classes, so any link to guides would be great!

digipimp75 likes this.
  5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    All I did was download the firmware and guides from Gateway's website and carefully followed each step. If you can read, you can do it :)