Hacking jtag?

xXxM1NG0xXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i was wondering if there was a legit usb jtag hack for the xbox, and if not is it possible to jtag the resident evil edition xbox, if so tut plz, thanks alot

fyi, ive already looked up guides and tuts but havent found any for my resident evil edition specifically, i also have a halo edition xbox so any tut for either will do

thanks again guys

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any mention of the resident evil box is probably due to the DVD drive which is entirely unrelated to this (not to mention trivial to flash if you can JTAG it- dumping DVD keys is the hard part of DVD flashing and a JTAG box you can dial into via your browser and it tells you the keys- I will mention though that pretty much all 360 dvd drives bar some of the newer slims are relatively easy to dump these days with the newer methods we have available). It is updates that block the JTAG hack and there is no downgrading/bypassing such things we know of.

If it was made or sent in for repair after mid June 2009 (the RE set I think was a fair bit before this) or updated with the August 11th 2009 update or later (this includes playing a game released about 2 months after that or newer) you can not JTAG it.
The simple check is to go to the console settings, system info and look at the numbers there-
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4 has more.
As the link says it is not foolproof but it gives you a good idea of if you want to push forward (the updated part that kills the JTAG hack came with that dash update but it also appeared in some boxes before that date and with an earlier dash on board).

"legit usb jtag hack"
Not sure I follow- if you mean can I use USB rather than parallel port then yes there are several readers you can make including some fairly cheap ones ( http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=12306.0 ) or you can buy a chip that does it all for you and allows you to dump the NAND.

xXxM1NG0xXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm. . . . .why is it that xbox is the hardest to hack, i have my wii hacked and ive hacked ps3 without problems. . . . .sigh none the less, usb jtag hack, meaning you can use the usb for in game hacks, or emulators n fun what nots

Social0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Why is it? Because Microsoft invested a lot of time and money into the security of their console and pretty much patches every hole they can patch as soon as its found.

Nintendo on the other hand hasn't been caring about security at all and kinda left the door wide open with the Wii as it didn't have any increased security over the Gamecube.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may be because instead of working on security for a console that is hacked hours after it's patched, they focus on security on the next generation of Nintendo machines that are due soon. Microsoft is trying to extend the lifecycle of their console therefore it makes more sense to continue to pour resources into it.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to point out that JTAG is the name of the last exploit (and that's even pushing it, its actually called the SMC hack), not the same as "hacking the Xbox". And I agree, the Xbox has the highest security of all the consoles
frown.gif

xXxM1NG0xXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the smc hack, from what i read is for any xbox with w/ever kernel, so would it be possible for me to do this for the RE5 xbox or the halo xbox?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You read incorrectly- MS blocked the SMC hack (or at least the thing that underpins it all) for good in an update in August 2009. You can tell this simply by finding out your dashboard version.
They had however seemingly known about it for a bit longer and shipped boxes with the fix from about mid June of the same year and those that saw their repair shops about the same time also got the fix. These you can not tell without dumping the NAND although build date and knowing whether your box has seen a MS repair shop around the times mentioned are good predictors.

Every update they blow an extra fuse in the CPU (well most updates- sometimes they skip it and you can prevent fuses being blown by desoldering a resistor) which can be read as a number of sorts- higher number than your version allows and your version will not run.

Model does not matter at all (obviously the slim was released way after this so that does not have it)- it is all about what updates have been applied. Some people tried a few things in hardware (voltage attacks on parts of the machine) but did not get far- the only new thing (released to the public anyway) really was an academic thing in which a guy decapped the CPU in situ and read things out from it which tends to destroy the CPU in fairly short order and it is about as tricky as it sounds.

What you might have read is about the king kong hack which was the first iteration of the SMC/JTAG hack and ultimately relied on the same bug. You might then have read about the timing attack used to help downgrade the kernel which was also blocked in August 11th 2009 (well the underlying update rather than the kernel) update and was irrelevant at this time thanks to JTAG which bypassed the need for it.

Anyhow yeah you can use USB to run code and load games from with a JTAG 360. DLC has a bit of trouble and there is the odd game but for those you have the onboard hard drive instead (which can be any size with a JTAG machine).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will also mention the WODE people and a few others have announced optical drive emulators that can read from USB. They are not out yet and do not afford half the niceties of a JTAG 360 not to mention are set to have a fairly hefty price tag but I suppose it does fulfil your "USB loading of games" thing you seem to have got yourself set on doing.

Back on topic as it were.

First you would need a JTAG 360.

If you buy one most come with it and if you follow one of the guides you will usually end up with it but after that you need a hacked dashboard- technically speaking it is not hacked though but a small dash reboots into a hacked one (this gives us the term rebooter) that patches out many of the blocks (others are left to a program called dashlaunch). Originally there were two but nowadays "fbbuild" (named for an older hacked dash that spawned this called freeboot) is the only one to see updates.

You say you know wii hacking so I will try and explain it in terms of things you might see there but once the rebooter is done there are many ways to run code but the big three are

Freestyledash (usually abbreviated FSD)- this is akin to one of the full blown loaders with covers and all that jazz. These days some nice options with regards to title updates (games get updates and these are how they tend to come) and VPN management are getting added.
Originally there were a few competing dashes on the fancy loader front with the most notable being 360 dashit (it mainly being noted for better XBLA support from USB) but this is the one that emerged "victorious".

Xexmenu- this is perhaps more like the homebrew channel or Neogamma. Small, mainly text based, quick and lacking some of the niceties of FSD but it loads quick and runs games very well.

Some form of jump loader (quickboot http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1773.nfo is the most common). This is akin to a forwarder channel but few use them nowadays as the other methods are easier in the long run.

Some homebrew installs and appears as an XBLA title might- the chicken and egg problem is avoided by the DVD drive, a USB drive "formatted" to 360 standards and injected using something like xtaf with a loader, a 360 drive or memory card accessed by external means and some got creative with dashlaunch*.

I should also reiterate that many do not go in for USB loaded stuff- with a JTAG 360 you can stick any size sata drive (laptop mainly unless you want to power a full size one) and with that you can load XBLA, DLC and GOD installs (when you download a full game from Live you get one of these, NXE "install to hard drive" type installs are but a few bytes different from a GOD install so there are even programs to convert ones already on the hard drive). Of course the hard drive is regular storage too so you can use it similar to how you might use a USB drive.
DLC needs a hard drive, XBLA can be run from USB but using a hard drive is easier and I am not sure where GOD installs from USB are at but if you are running from USB you have the other methods anyway. At some points GOD installs solved problems with USB loading but that is very rare (indeed I am struggling to think of anything other than fable 3 and maybe some of the region checks) and at others they fell short (mainly the rise of AP2.5).

*I mentioned it a few times in here so I might as well cover it- dashlaunch is perhaps akin to preloader/priiloader/starfall/startpatch on the wii but with the main difference being it can load a patch for the dashboard giving you a choice or sparing you having to install it to the NAND (much like most hacks the less you can write to the NAND the better). Patches are usually made for this program although they tend to get merged into dashlaunch or the main hacked dash as time goes on.
The original use of it was to give you the option to load some homebrew instead of the original dash (which is pretty poor on the homebrew options front for obvious reasons) and many use it to load their chosen homebrew/game launcher.

Equally if you are coming from the Wii I should note that USB drive model/version and the like does not really matter. I am hesitant to call it PC grade but you will usually have to go searching to find yourself with a USB adapter that does not work.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191's post pretty much says it all.

Some great things about FSD are that it has built in mutli-disc. This means you can copy both discs to the hard drive and it'll automatically switch to the other seamlessly. You rarely even see a "please insert disc X" prompt.

Also, copying games to the hard drive are easy. Just put a 360 or XBOX1 game in the drive and go to the "Copy DVD" option and choose a folder.

Speaking of folders, FSD allows you to put games in any folder you want, so no need to put them in the confusing "Contents" folder with dozens of numbers. Makes it easy to organize your games in folders.

Lastly, FSD has a great interface. I prefer to have games listed in banner mode myself.

So, JTAG your xbox, set up dashlaunch to automatically load FSD on startup, and you're set!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, *kills him*
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We've been over this I wear kill proof clothing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should talk about my mom it's a 100hp hit :teach:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    Good morning!
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    what's up woke boy
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    What.
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    i am sad ugh
  • Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022:
    What are we playing today?
    Destiny 2 and Pokemon Alpha saphire
  • Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022:
    Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up
    +1
    yassssss i love emerald
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    more of a platinum guy myself personally
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys i just checked to see what's in the fortnite item shop today and saw that metallica skins, atla skins and jjk skins are in the item shop at the same time rn, shit's not real 💀
    +1
    im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @PandaPandel, irl or in the game?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Btw it seems like the user dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, either they are going through something or they blocked me. Better leave them alone ig
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I sat on my ball and I think I crushed it

:sad:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Veho, atleast you still have the other one
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's why we have two balls. Redundancy.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The squished one still hurts like a motherfucker tho.
    Veho @ Veho: The squished one still hurts like a motherfucker tho.