Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the slower movements took me a few minutes to get used to. i rather enjoyed the faster pace of the game but the new movements do indeed make it much easier to control our main character. i find that i am now making less mistakes because i no longer have to lift my thumb early to avoid making them. however, the slower speed has the game much easier. i hope that later levels take this into account and speed up the speed of the acid-drops and guardian movements.

the pulsating exit graphic that appears over the door is still bugging me, because it isn't perfectly centered. =P

pressing R skips to the next level but pressing L does not go back to the previous level. was this something you left in by mistake for testing purposes?

i'm having issues with start (pause), Y, and X, on this build. sometimes pressing the button does nothing. i can hit start constantly and get pauses often, while other times they come every 8 or so button presses. I'm also having issues when I press A to throw water. sometimes I press and nothing happens, other times it works on the 1st button press.

the slow speed made me notice that the water looks like a SFII Hadouken. that got me wondering, could the speed adjustments you made be affecting how the buttons respond? i remember you saying something to the effect that the timing played a key role in how everything worked. i couldn't test level 21 or 33 because i am unable to press the conveyor belt switch in succession.

press X to return to the main menu, press Y to turn off music, press A to start a level, then press X again and the music starts playing. Press A to start a level and the music is playing even though it is still toggled "off" in the main menu.

on level 24 you can position a box between the two conveyor belts and on top of the ladder. if you climb up from the bottom you can climb through the box. while this doesn't make sense, it did allow me to beat the level. when exiting level 24 you can not drop down to the door, like you can on previous builds. this is only slowing down my best time by making me to position that final block, it feels like a level mechanic forced upon the user, as it is possible to drop onto all exits without spikes under them. there is also an invisible ladder here, where you can climb up next to a ladder and through a block. it is the ladder to the right of the switch. walk 1 block to its right and press up.

as more levels are added it makes sense to add the ability to scroll the level selection in either direction. so if you hit 1 and press left that it takes you to 35 or if you hit 35 and press right it takes you to 1. when this gets up to 100 levels it will take a long time to find a level in the middle if we are locked into scrolling between 1 and the max level. another solution would be to add some type of popup that would allow us to jump. where 1 is 1-19, 2 is 20-29, etc.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again for the feedback.

The exit graphic is perfectly centered, I think its the door frame shading that makes it appear otherwise, an optical illusion.

I will look into the button press issue. Its not a good thing, and I don't understand why it is doing it if it responds to the directional controls normally. the R button is left over from testing yes. This wont be in the final version.

I forgot to adjust the speed of the water, thanks for reminding me. I always thought it looked like a hadouken before the speed change.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'm still making edits to my post above as i get through the levels.

i guess i never paid attention to the water graphic. lol.

speaking of graphics, i just had an idea. when on the conveyor belt have you considered stopping the character's walking animation if nothing is pressed? it just seems odd to me that i am not pressing left/right yet the character is still walking at the same pace on a automated walkway. if i'm on one of those people-movers and i'm not actively walking, i'm standing still. this is how i expected the character to behave. clearly, this is not a requirement. =)

another graphic enhancement, that is again not a requirement, would be allowing the player to switch the character's movement while falling. so we can hit the ground running in the right direction. i guess this one could get weird if the player moved left/right/left/right while falling. causing the main character to do a bit of a dance. again, this clearly would add nothing to gameplay.

with that, my edits above are done. i like the new levels! i'm looking forward to v6.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have fixed the music bug.

The controls are currently being worked on right now (just waiting for it to build and test). edit: Its working well now.

The exit "issue" on level 24 is not an issue. All the other exits can be reached by dropping on them because there is solid floor underneath the door. The block creates the solid floor you can stand on and go through the door. Without it you will just continue falling and die on the spikes, which makes logical sense, at least to me anyway. I wouldn't worry about your best scores until the final version is released, because it is likely more tweaks will change the best score.

As for the box, I am in two minds whether to make it so you can push the crates up/down ladders or if they halt progress. I am heavily leaning towards the latter as I will have to re-design most of the crate levels. edit: I went for the latter. You cannot move up/down through blocks on ladders now.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
The exit "issue" on level 24 is not an issue.

when you drop to a door with solid floor under it, you can exit without touching the ground. the door recognizes your feet/body. i agree with what you are saying about it making logical sense. you should have to touch the ground before you could walk through the door. since this is sort of what the spikes are forcing, as in if there is no floor you just fall to the spikes because there isn't a solid platform to land, turn, and exit, then it would make sense that the character always has to touch the ground before exiting. this would also help it make sense to players why they need to cover the spikes. i think that all exits should behave this way, where you need to touch the ground before the exit recognizes the character's bounding/binding box. -- just a suggestion. =)

don't forget about that invisible ladder i described on level 24. i can snap a photo of you need it.

thanks for continually working on this game and listening to my bug reports/rants. it feels great to be involved with another ds homebrew project.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Version 0.55 added to main post.

No new content just bug fixes.

Music stays off when turned off.
Keys are properly responsive in game.
Crate on ladder bug fixed.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
A and START are still buggy. with START i can not press it twice in a row. however, once paused, pressing start/a to unpause is always perfectly responsive. with A i can't shoot two water shots in a row. i also found that if you try to shoot them all in a row that there is a distinct pause before the button will respond. if you wait long enough between shots then the A button is perfectly responsive. when pressing the conveyor switch, A is 100% responsive.

a new bug that popped up is now the R button, for jumping ahead while testing, is not very responsive. i can no longer press it twice (or more) in a row.

i am still having an issue with the music bug. when i have music shut off and return to the menu (X), i hear 1 note on a loop.

when selecting levels, as soon as you press left/right the "ding" sound starts but the level counter does not. so if you hold left all the way to 1, the sound will stop before the levels stop scrolling.
acid moves way to slow, and is no longer much of a challenge.
water still moves slow. i can fire a water shot and run to catch up to it.

level 18: the 3rd acid to the right never drops
level 24: has an invisible ladder. the 3rd ladder to the right. move the crate in the middle and then stand where that crate was and press up. if you move the crate above it you can climb all the way to the ceiling.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You are supposed to wait between firing water balls. But I can shorten the delay between shots. The acid/water speed is easily fixed, I know what happened there. I also know what has happened with the 3rd acid, another easy fix. Ignore the R button, it's just a testing feature and will not be in the final version., which is why I never fixed it.

I will look into the other issues, but to be perfectly honest, I'm getting sick of it. Half the bug fixes are actually working around DSGM's bugs and inadequacies. Why it fucks up with the button presses I do not know. It seems every time I fix one thing, something else fucks up because of it. If the music isnt working properly, I'm gonna ditch it. I see no reason why it should be looping one note, other than bugs within DSGM or PAlib itself. Did you test it on a real DS or an emulator, as I know some emulators have sound issues.

I'm gonna be taking a break from this, so the next build will not be for a week or so.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the music bug only happens if you turn off the music. so maybe don't make that an option? if you took out the option to turn off the music then you could break up the levels with different tracks every 10 or so levels (although i've no idea if this would introduce more bugs in DSGM or PAlib). another idea would be to keep the music running but offer a volume setting, where "mute" just changes it to 0.

i thought the water fired off one after another in the first few builds, perhaps i was just running around so much more quickly that it seemed that way. i'm sorry for reporting that as a bug, i had no idea you had coded it to have a pause between shots.

i do all my testing on real hardware. i have a dsi xl 1.4.1 and an acekard 2i running akaio 1.9.0.

this game is REALLY fun. i can't express that enough. i hope you come back after some time off from it and are able to work around the issues.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK I decided to fix most of the issues now as they were quite minor. I have tested and everything seems to be working fine now. Version 0.6 Uploaded to OP.

Fixes:
Changed timers on acid, they drop at a challenging speed again.
Changed speed of water
Fixed Level 24 ladder bug

As regards to the exit, it *should* (and there is no possible reason why it does not, other than DSGM being DSGM) only go through the exit when it is fully aligned with the grid. I need to look into why it does not appear to. Fixing this will make the spikes puzzles seem more logical, but I'm gonna work on this after my break.

I have played around with the music/fx settings, tried every combination, and I can't seem to replicate your issue. It works just like it should for me.

I am also going to aim at making the next release the final release. So that may mean it will be a few weeks at least. And don't get your hopes up for 100 levels, unless people design some for me, I think the max will be around 50-60.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Awesome game, really enjoy it, but perhaps you implement a feature in which users could create their own maps which would be stored in a folder on the root of the sd card?

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, unfortunately I'd have to re-write the entire engine if I wanted to implement that. But if you have any level ideas, feel free to mock some up and i'll credit you for anything that I include in the final version.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
did you write a pc side level editor?

i'd like to make some levels but i just don't have the time to mock-up anything with a paint program. i'm tethered to a laptop and i can't seem to grasp the skill required to do any type of artwork with a touch pad.

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I use various programs to do the job, one to do the level layout backgrounds, another to do the collision map, and then put it all together in DSGM.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the speed on this build feels perfect. it is dialed in. everything flows and feels just right. i wouldn't change a thing. i can't find any button bugs at all. =)

any chance that the spring will come back? was it v5 that has 1 spring? it seemed to work pretty well.

my only suggestion for the water would be to allow the user to fire a second shot in a row either after the water has exited the screen or after it has come into contact with something that can stop it. it feels odd when there are multiple fires in a row but you can't put them all out one after another.

i'm having a real issue beating level 33, is it winnable? =P

-another world

EgoTrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wasn't happy with how the spring worked, I left that in that level by mistake, I was testing it out in a variety of situations and it was easier to put it on existing levels. I may put in some test levels after my break. I do actually want the spring in the game, but its tricky to get working right.

Your water suggestion is easily implemented, I will do that. Level 33 is bust, so you'll need to skip past that level. Sorry.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this, its really helped me to get this game working as well as it currently is.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'm glad i could help. =)

feel free to release private builds to me for testing before the final version is ready. i'm happy to play through all final levels before that build is ready for public release.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-