Jap New 3DSXL Stuck at 8.1.0-0J (Browser-less firmware)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AmD950, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AmD950
    OP

AmD950 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I am now trying for different ways to get it beyond 8.1 but not over 9.2

Currently trying - if anything you know from the list will NOT work, do let us know.
    1. borrow a Pokemon Omega Ruby (J) Cart/MH4G (J) Cart from friend
    (or does any cart carry newer firmware but not beyond 9.2?)
    2. trying to download play with cooking mama sweets shop (J)

thanks

2. Kracken

Kracken GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    I think if a cart had over 8.1 on it people would have already been updating their imported N3DS's to 9.0-9.2. There is a reason people are worried about 8.1J consoles. GW has said they have a solution for 8.1 for what thats worth.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Pestilence204

Pestilence204 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2014
    Canada
    Well, I guess that's a good way for Nintendo to screw everyone up so they can't use Gateway. The New 3DS XL that's coming out in North America will probably have 9.2.0-0U. Sneaky.

To answer your question, I haven't seen any way yet to get the browser working on a system over 4.5 without an online update.

EDIT: Just realized that that's not even what your asking...

AmD950 likes this.
  4. omegart

omegart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Margen67 likes this.
  5. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    Garyopa confirmed they'll use a mii maker entrypoint in a post on this very forum.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    no video game has shipped with a system update above 8.2 as of yet.

7. caprathebest

caprathebest GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    You sure? Where did you read that? I remember that someone, a few time ago, posted a fake gateway mail where they stated a fake entrypoint was going to be used for the new console (I think it was the same mii maker thing, with a qr code scanning exploit, like ninjhax)

8. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3-0-ultra.378041/page-58#post-5267633

omegart likes this.
  9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    from what i heard the mii maker exploit breaks "stuff" (im assuming any game that utalizes the mii feature....which includes such titles as smash bros and mario kart.....my guess would be, (unless they somehow fix the mii issues once in gateway mode) that they might be able to use the mii exploit to run a cia installer which could install the browser for browserless users.....but tbh i think they are probably aiming to get emunand set up, so then mii's can remain broken in sysnand, and work fine in emunand.....actually that's probably the most likely situation, maybe the initial plan was to release a version with no emunand, but with the mii stuff being broken by the exploit, they are now just looking to make it all complete in one go rather than having some of the most poular games broken by the exploit

bleh, who knows :P......none the less sonyUSA said its using a mii maker exploit on the build they where sent so, there is at least options for browserless operation

Margen67 likes this.
  10. caprathebest

caprathebest GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    Thanks! Did some research, and found that statement on reddit about the mii maker exploit (not 100% sure about it, but still better than nothing): "Mii Maker was one of the exploits they were working on, but they scrapped it since it broke games that used miis."

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah stating they wern't using the mii exploit because it breaks games, sounds very much like no emunand....or else it would only be broken in sysnand, not keen on the idea of no emunand if that was the case

12. AmD950
    OP

AmD950 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2005
    Hong Kong
    thanks for clarifying.
    I thought no one tried to 'upgrade' a 8.1.0-0j to a 8.1.0-xj because most of the gbatempers are in the West (thus no accesses to the japanese games).

13. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Iirc sonyusa said something about the mii exploit causing mii related issues. And what does faryopa mean when he says the WebKit exploit was patched in 9.3 so it's better to save the mii exploit..like is that a hint that it'll work on 9.2+ consoles? If so then It would make sense if they wait till after the us and eu n3ds are released. Just in case they are 9.4 altho I guess it wouldn't be any diff than a aus console on 9.4 blah I guess I'm babbling again

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah the -x number is browser/eshop version number iirc.......and game cards do not install the browser, that can only be gotten from a online update, or pre-installed to the system
    the web exploit still works on 9.4, so no it was stage 2 or 3 that was patched, smealums region free that works on 4.x-9.4 uses gateway webkit exploit....so its not patched yet

AmD950 likes this.
  15. AmD950
    OP

AmD950 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Sorry dude my English is simply bad.

tjexp likes this.
  16. Escape

Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2008
    United States
    Wait, I'm on 8.1 and pretty sure I saw the Internet icon. Am I missing something?

17. Solar47

Solar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States

turn off wifi and click ur internet icon it should pop up ask for update

18. Escape

Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2008
    United States
    Oh. But it is installed, it only requires you to update so you can use it.
    Perhaps Gateway will find a way to run it without the need to update.

19. greeeed

greeeed Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2014
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    will same thing happened to 9.0+ when 10.0+ update arrived?
    (or as long as we open internet browser once > then we are safe?)

20. AmD950
    OP

AmD950 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2005
    Hong Kong
    IF you are on 8.1.0-0 then you don't have the browser.
    Read: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/8.1.0-0_New3DS