Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I agree!
So you advise me to buy the Sky3DS +?
It seems to me that Sky3DS + site has more firmware updates, unlike Stargate 3DS which still has only 1.0 firmware!
Thanks!
No one would ever advise buying a Sky3DS when you can buy a $10 flashcart and install CFW very easily in around 5 minutes (for an experienced person) and maybe half an hour (for someone who has no idea and makes lots of mistakes). See https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

If you don't mind spending more money than you have to, you can buy a Sky3DS+, and it will play those games. But note it will cost you the same as buying those two games anyway.

undertherain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But note it will cost you the same as buying those two games anyway.
You do not need to own the original games but just have the .3ds file, right?
Sorry but... I do not have the Nintendo DS2.
The idea is to take the flashcard, copy firmware and 3ds files on microsd and give it to him...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The idea is to take the flashcard, copy firmware and 3ds files on microsd and give it to him...
dont waste your money in a 3ds flashcart like the stargate..
softmod the 3ds using that guide.. doesn't matter the model of the console.. you just need a cheap DS flashcart mentioned in the guide
you will be able to install stuff to the console internal micro sd card.. and stuff will happear in home menu like bought games.. you can install them using freeshop or cias which are not hard to find

with the stargate you will have to press the buttons in the cart to select games and its a pain..

Last edited by migles,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
By DS2 do you mean DS? You don't need a DS if you get a DS flashcart that we work on the latest 3DS firmware.

Edit: if they are the only games he wants it will cost less to just buy those games and forget the flashcart or CFW. The Sky3DS is like $60-$80, and the games are like $30-$40 each. If you're unable to follow the guide (which would only cost you $10 for a DS flashcart) then it would still be a bad idea to buy the flashcart, you should buy the games instead. Cheaper and easier.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

undertherain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By DS2 do you mean DS? You don't need a DS if you get a DS flashcart that we work on the latest 3DS firmware.

Edit: if they are the only games he wants it will cost less to just buy those games and forget the flashcart or CFW. The Sky3DS is like $60-$80, and the games are like $30-$40 each. If you're unable to follow the guide (which would only cost you $10 for a DS flashcart) then it would still be a bad idea to buy the flashcart, you should buy the games instead. Cheaper and easier.
Sorry, Nintendo 2DS, not DS2... ;)
Anyway ok, I do not buy flashcards.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the risk of incurring the wrath of others, I would definitely recommend a Sky3DS+. I'm probably in the minority but for my purposes it's been great. I got it simply to store all my legally purchased games so I can travel without bringing the cartridges, and for that purpose it has been flawless. I collect physical games as much as possible, so the Sky3DS+ has been very useful in keeping that preference manageable. I've never had a problem with new games not working due to the company's overall responsiveness. Note that this works well for me because I own a 2DS that's still on a lower firmware which allows me to backup my carts via the browser exploit and the Gateway tool.

I've had my eye on the Stargate one as well, but given the lack of updates for playing new games (although some are not really even new at this point) I'm holding off on giving it a try. If progress is made I would like to switch since an all-in-one solution for 3DS and DS games is ideal.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking, but why use a 3DS flashcart? You can dump & install all your games to the 3DS's SD card, even on the latest firmware & without the browser exploit. And don't get the Stargate, you can install your games to the 3DS easily & the DS game mode is broken when you install cfw, so it ends up essentially being a $90 NTRboot card.

Reactions: The Catboy

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the risk of incurring the wrath of others, I would definitely recommend a Sky3DS+. I'm probably in the minority but for my purposes it's been great. I got it simply to store all my legally purchased games so I can travel without bringing the cartridges, and for that purpose it has been flawless. I collect physical games as much as possible, so the Sky3DS+ has been very useful in keeping that preference manageable. I've never had a problem with new games not working due to the company's overall responsiveness. Note that this works well for me because I own a 2DS that's still on a lower firmware which allows me to backup my carts via the browser exploit and the Gateway tool.

I've had my eye on the Stargate one as well, but given the lack of updates for playing new games (although some are not really even new at this point) I'm holding off on giving it a try. If progress is made I would like to switch since an all-in-one solution for 3DS and DS games is ideal.
well of course people are not going to respond very well to that. hardly anyone can seriously recommend a ~$70 (Sky3DS+), ~$90 (Stargate 3DS), or ~$75 (Gateway 3DS) flashcart when $2 (DSiWare/Seedminer) and $10-20 (ntrboot-compatible NDS flashcards) methods exist, enable the use of custom firmware with more features, and with a decent chance someone already owns one of these. both of these methods also work on the latest firmware, with one (ntrboot) guaranteed to work permanently due to an exploit in the bootrom which Nintendo can't and won't fix.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

undertherain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

But... Pokemon Sun and Moon not working...

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking, but why use a 3DS flashcart? You can dump & install all your games to the 3DS's SD card, even on the latest firmware & without the browser exploit.

I was honestly not aware of this being possible. Is there a link showing how to do that? Keep in mind that I got the Sky3DS+ almost 2 years ago so it's possible this wasn't around then? I'm all for an easy Wii U-like alternative (I dumped all my Wii U games already and enjoy Haxchi to play off a hard drive) - if something similar exists for 3DS (without risking a ban during online play) I'm definitely down for that.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have arm9loaderhax? If you do, you'll want to try this. If you don't, just go to https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started-(old-3ds) and follow the steps. If you can run the browser exploit, you can probably get your cfw for free. Once you're done, you can dump your games with the GodMode9 script from The Megathread (you want the dump to CIA script, it's under Cartridge Dump Scripts). .CIA files can be installed by FBI & act as installed games on your home menu.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was honestly not aware of this being possible. Is there a link showing how to do that? Keep in mind that I got the Sky3DS+ almost 2 years ago so it's possible this wasn't around then? I'm all for an easy Wii U-like alternative (I dumped all my Wii U games already and enjoy Haxchi to play off a hard drive) - if something similar exists for 3DS (without risking a ban during online play) I'm definitely down for that.
a lot has happened in the past year or two. everything is possible via software. there exist free and open source tools for things like game and nand dumping. like mentioned above, start at 3ds.hacks.guide which will set you up with boot9strap and Luma3DS. it runs at boot time, so you don't need to worry about losing it if a new update is ever released. that also means it's easier to get to a tool (GodMode9) to dump games.

once you have b9s/luma, follow the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage.html#dumping-a-game-cartridge which will create a CIA that you can install.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Unless you are a super dedicated flashcart collector, I am going to suggest not suggesting any 3DS flashcart. The Stargate is not worth the price and will most likely not be seeing anymore updates beyond the first release. You are basically suggesting people send literally 60 to 70 more for a poor quality product over spending less and getting more out of a cheap flashcart and CFW.
Side note, Stargate doesn't even make a good DS-Mode cart for CFW as it DS-Mode doesn't even work with CFW.
I am going to be honest with you, please don't start tossing out suggestions when you aren't even familiar with the scene. I am not trying to be rude, just trying to be straightforward with you.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Quantumcat

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have arm9loaderhax? If you do, you'll want to try this. If you don't, just go to https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started-(old-3ds) and follow the steps. If you can run the browser exploit, you can probably get your cfw for free. Once you're done, you can dump your games with the GodMode9 script from The Megathread (you want the dump to CIA script, it's under Cartridge Dump Scripts). .CIA files can be installed by FBI & act as installed games on your home menu.

Thanks. I've read through some of the steps to install CFW. My only real question is this: can you be banned by playing 3DS games online you have installed to the system using this method? I don't want to be playing MK7 (for example) and get banned due to this process. Currently the Sky3DS+ is fully online safe when using the proper game ID.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played my installed cart dumps a lot & still haven't gotten banned. Pretty much the only ways to get banned now are to either pirate games before they come out or to cheat in online multiplayer.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to be honest with you, please don't start tossing out suggestions when you aren't even familiar with the scene. I am not trying to be rude, just trying to be straightforward with you.

That's fair, but you don't have to be familiar with the homebrew scene to vouch for a flashcart. Sky3DS+ works well. It may not be worth it to many due to the cost, but for those that want to achieve a specific goal without any form of hacking or CFW it's a solution. Given what this forum is for, I acknowledge most will not think it's a good solution, but it does work. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've played my installed cart dumps a lot & still haven't gotten banned. Pretty much the only ways to get banned now are to either pirate games before they come out or to cheat in online multiplayer.

Good to know. Has NO ONE been banned doing this, or have bans just not happened for a while? I'm good with going down this road, but want to make sure I'm not going to regret it. I would only be using my own dumps from legally owned games.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's fair, but you don't have to be familiar with the homebrew scene to vouch for a flashcart. Sky3DS+ works well. It may not be worth it to many due to the cost, but for those that want to achieve a specific goal without any form of hacking or CFW it's a solution. Given what this forum is for, I acknowledge most will not think it's a good solution, but it does work. :)
The issue with this one is that it doesn't work well and hasn't been updated since launch. There are still several 3DS games that don't work and DS-Mode doesn't work with CFW. So if you install a CFW for those games that don't work, then you lose the DS-Mode functionality. You really don't gain anything from this cart that a DS-Mode flashcart and CFW can do for far cheaper.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Quantumcat

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue with this one is that it doesn't work well and hasn't been updated since launch. There are still several 3DS games that don't work and DS-Mode doesn't work with CFW. So if you install a CFW for those games that don't work, then you lose the DS-Mode functionality. You really don't gain anything from this cart that a DS-Mode flashcart and CFW can do for far cheaper.

I think there is some confusion about flashcarts - I was only talking about Sky3DS+, I have never used Stargate. Sky works with all 3DS games, to my knowledge. But I agree with the general thought that flashcarts seem to be unnecessary if you're willing to hack your 3DS.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think there is some confusion about flashcarts - I was only talking about Sky3DS+, I have never used Stargate. Sky works with all 3DS games, to my knowledge. But I agree with the general thought that flashcarts seem to be unnecessary if you're willing to hack your 3DS.
I still won't recommend that cart either not any flashcart, considering a128GB microSD card is cheaper than a Sky3DS+.
There's almost no reason to use a flashcart in this day and age when there's just cheaper/free options that have far better support and work far better than flashcarts.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone at this thread asked if the Stargate card works in DS mode with one of @Apache Thunder's r4-type card launchers. I believe he is curious in knowing if this bypasses the disabled DS mode when CFW is installed on the 3DS.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stag...other-cards-soon.416434/page-122#post-7944074

I want to know if anyone can test this but I believe one of these launchers may be able to run that new StarGate card??

P.S. : I am not interested in purchasing a Stargate card. I would like to know if something like NTR Launcher works in overcoming the disabled NDS.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Hi hi!