Hacking Is there any way to upgrade a JP New N3DS from 8.1.0-0J to 9.0~9.2 to use CFW?

Xanek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a Japanese New Nintendo 3DS with firmware 8.1.0-0J, from what i've been told, this doesn't have a browser installed and apparently there are no games that update to firmware 9.0~9.2.

Is there any solution for my problem? I've googled this problem earlier yesterday and the only results i've seen on gbatemp is manually updating with 3DNUS cia files (which i'm assuming won't work since I can't even access the browser) and something about a webserver, which I don't understand any of the steps:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/

Is there any semi-idiot proof guide that explains how I can update my firmware to 9.0~9.2, or am I S.O.L. on this 3ds currently?

Last edited by Xanek,

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Melon__Bread

Xanek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is also of critical importance that you use gateway's launcher (no gateway card required) to make a backup of your 8.1 nand before attempting anything - that will be your only way to recover if anything goes wrong.
How would I access the gateway launcher if I don't have access to the browser? :wtf:

Also I don't plan on getting a gateway, but getting a sky3ds to run cubic ninja.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unless there is some other way to access gateway launcher without a browser and no gateway..?

Xanek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With CN if you scan the gateway qr code. (only on n3ds)
Oh okay, whew, thought I had to buy a gateway and a sky3ds :V, time to get a sky3ds! LOL (Literally spent too much money this month, going to be over $400...)

Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need Cubic Ninja to do the upgrade using NTR CFW. OOT or CN can be used to load Gateway.

The upgrade, I've done it, its really not too bad. Load up your NTR, enable the debugger within the 3ds by pressing x and y to access the menu. Then go to your PC and perform the steps Oishikatta posted in the NTR debugger (make sure your 3ds and PC are on the same network and you know the 3Ds' IP.) Enter each line of code one at a time, after each line you should see a message that simply says

Null
Finished

When all 3 are done you're good to update within System Settings

Why Nintendo leaves up the old firmwares for download I dont know.

Last edited by Link'sSpiritualAwakening,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You need Cubic Ninja to do the upgrade using NTR CFW. OOT or CN can be used to load Gateway.

The upgrade, I've done it, its really not too bad. Load up your NTR, enable the debugger within the 3ds by pressing x and y to access the menu. Then go to your PC and perform the steps Oishikatta posted in the NTR debugger (make sure your 3ds and PC are on the same network and you know the 3Ds' IP.) Enter each line of code one at a time, after each line you should see a message that simply says

Null
Finished

When all 3 are done you're good to update within System Settings

Why Nintendo leaves up the old firmwares for download I dont know.
I thought CN did not work without a browser. Isn't OoT the only way?

Xanek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I actually get this to work, I can't create a NNID and put a DLC code in correct, since the NNID will be tied to a CFW?

Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTR CFW doesn't rely on Ninjhax. Its something seperate, which is why its works on 8.1 (although I believe they referenced Ninjhax code in its creation). It doesn't alter anything permanently, it just kind of rests on top of your current setup.

Yes, you can make a NNID. But to enter the e shop you'll have to do a similar NTR patch or use another method, because they check your fw before you go in.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xanek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no way to create a NNID on the regular sysNAND since I need the most up-to-date firmware? So if I create a NNID on emuNAND, sysNAND can't access it correct?

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use my server to make it simpler: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/page-6#post-5420331

Note that doing so sends your 3DS serial/etc, I do not log them.

It is also of critical importance that you use gateway's launcher (no gateway card required) to make a backup of your 8.1 nand before attempting anything - that will be your only way to recover if anything goes wrong.
This is how I updated mine, worked like a charm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?