GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
nintendo could save so much money if they didn't spend so much money and effort into anti-piracy. they aren't assessing their gains and losses correctly. i'm sure piracy has generated plenty of hardware sales for them. imagine how much money they would make if they sold their own flash carts. it could be a real benefit for them just like major pharmaceutical companies sell generic versions of their own medicines to compete with other generic drug producers.
I'm sure this is the only reason why they haven't developed a perfect anti-piracy system yet. They would actually lose a lot of revenue from it.
This is why the third=party game developers like Ubisoft and Square Enix have much better anti-piracy checks on their games.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I guess they need articles like this so it 'looks' like their doing something.

If they really wanted a system that can't be hacked, they would of created one. Simple as that.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutta_nic said:
360 sucks camels anus,
only thing going 4 it is the best FPS series of all time

GEARS OF WAR!!!!!!!!!

POW POW POP OH YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

GOW is more of a 3rd person shooter, and 2 games doesn't qualify as a series (and I honestly hate GOW)

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend once told me that these systems aren't designed to completely stop piracy, but to make it as annoying as possible for people to do. When you think about it, most people are not willing to try to mod a game console despite what new functionality they gain out of sheer fear of the system breaking.

As for why the PS3 hasn't been hacked, there have been compromises in security for it in the past. You all no doubt are aware of the official ability to run Linux. Well, this ability only allows some of the hardware to be accessed, not access to the more 3d aspects of the system to prevent people from making games without a license. (I'm not sure exactly what you can't access, but you can all see the point.)

In any case, I recall reading about exploits in this system that allow Linux to access the full hardware, allowing additional functionality in power. That is being "hacked" technically, it just isn't to the degree that most people prefer.

The main reason piracy related hacks haven't been enabled on the PS3, IMO, is that it simply isn't cost effective. These games can be as big as 25-50 GB, so that much download per game is simply annoying. (Granted, GTA IV release are 2 dual layer DVD's large, so this may not be as annoying for everyone, but the case with the PS3 is that every game can take up that much, not just a select few.) And Blu-Ray burners and blank media is expensive.

It's much like DVD's. When the PS2 was released in 2000, not nearly as many people had DVD burning capabilities as they do now. And it was more expensive then as well.

I'm sure that when the blu-ray burners and media prices go down like DVD's have, we'll see hacks for the PS3 to let it play copies just like the other systems.

Until then, those that wish to pirate can do so on the PC, Xbox360, and Wii. Not to start an argument, but the PS3 remains the least popular console as it is, so developers prioritize the other platforms anyway. You're not missing on much if you just pirate for the other systems.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with da letter a, its too late, the war has been over a long time ago...730+ games and counting, i don't even care if new games come out i got so much to play, its irrelevant. i'll be busy for years and years...and the new stuff will be hacked as well, just a matter of time. *ahem* C.O.P. *ahem*

Jaz808

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Piracy helps sell consoles, they know it, and they love it, but they have to pretend they are doing something to stop it as game makers will stop making games for that platform, been like that for years and years

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so were mice are we
rofl2.gif

Posts merged

mattjd said:
Utter bullshit I own a PS3 and have 25 games and there all good...
and how many of them games are shooters, sports or racing games i bet they ALL are?
tongue.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
FenrirWolf said:
stivsama said:
Why IS the PS3 still "unhacked?"

Isn't about time? And by time, I mean the time the price is almost right, at 299?
The biggest reason is that one of the processor cores exists solely to make sure that the system isn't compromised. Not even the devs can modify this processor.
1 more reason NOT to get 1
laugh.gif

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
What they should do if they really wanted to cut down on piracy piracy is make games require a code from inside the retail packaging like Sims3. Although hackers could easily make workarounds it would put off the shear number of noobs (no offence meant, we were all beginners once) who don't have the technical know how to apply patches and get the right firmware and stuff. The problem is that if they did this then it would annoy players with legally purchased games and draw attention to the whole piracy scene and advertising the ability to get free games so possibly increasing number of flash carts sold. All in all I feel sorry for Nintendo but that isn't going to change the fact that I have no money and can't afford to buy games

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nintendo is not fighting the softmod scene in any way. The only thing they do/did is to make it hard to install a modchip and they removed the possibility to play video dvds with the drive. That only eliminates dvd backups on new Wiis, but does nothing against usb loading.

Look at Sam & Max, if all new games had the same "protection" we couldn't play anything. They are not even trying to slow anybody down, i could name 10 different methods to slow softmods down, methods i myself wouldn't have any chance against. (because i can't disassemble stuff)

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
so were mice are we
rofl2.gif

Posts merged

mattjd said:
Utter bullshit I own a PS3 and have 25 games and there all good...
and how many of them games are shooters, sports or racing games i bet they ALL are?
tongue.gif

I have GH, Shooters, Racing games, Adventure, RPG, some sandbox and a couple of multiplayer online shooters.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the ps3 is better than 360 in just about every way possible, except the fact that the 360 is moddable and can run backups, which has always been the #1 main priority why id buy consoles, so since the xbox sucks and breaks w/o reason, i bought the most modded console ever....the wii

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Supersonicmonk said:
What they should do if they really wanted to cut down on piracy piracy is make games require a code from inside the retail packaging like Sims3. Although hackers could easily make workarounds it would put off the shear number of noobs (no offence meant, we were all beginners once) who don't have the technical know how to apply patches and get the right firmware and stuff. The problem is that if they did this then it would annoy players with legally purchased games and draw attention to the whole piracy scene and advertising the ability to get free games so possibly increasing number of flash carts sold. All in all I feel sorry for Nintendo but that isn't going to change the fact that I have no money and can't afford to buy games

I had 6 dollars until yesterday. I have spent around 1,000 on games. Back off bitch.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jaz808 said:
Piracy helps sell consoles, they know it, and they love it, but they have to pretend they are doing something to stop it as game makers will stop making games for that platform, been like that for years and years
i agree with you man...what???...if the WII was not hacked, i will not buy it anyways...i will definitely buy a PS3 for sure.

D

Deleted-171178

Retal said:
FenrirWolf said:
stivsama said:
Why IS the PS3 still "unhacked?"

Isn't about time? And by time, I mean the time the price is almost right, at 299?
The biggest reason is that one of the processor cores exists solely to make sure that the system isn't compromised. Not even the devs can modify this processor.
The biggest reason is PS3 has no games.

5533a417.jpg

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Lmao, the PS3 has game slike MGS4, there's a great reason to get the system. I'm broke so I can't afford it or I would get one.

And most companies sell their system at a loss because you have to buy games to enjoy the system, so they make their money off the software. The exception is Nintendo, which can somewhat benefit from extra sales of their system. For the PS3, selling a system without game sales is a loss in money, so they need huge anti-piracy protection and Nintendo could use better protection.

I've pirated stuff before, bought it later. I don't like taking stuff. Right now I've borrowed a few movies and TV shows because I don't have the money to buy it atm, at Christmas when I get access to more money, I'll get them for presents or buy them myself, I'm not going to get free stuff and use it.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DaMummy said:
the ps3 is better than 360 in just about every way possible, except the fact that the 360 is moddable and can run backups, which has always been the #1 main priority why id buy consoles, so since the xbox sucks and breaks w/o reason, i bought the most modded console ever....the wii1. The 360 has many reasons why it breaks.
2. The newest batch of 360s have minimal problems.
3. The Wii is NOT the most modded console ever. You can't say that because the Wii doesn't even have a custom System Menu.
QUOTE(mattjd @ Nov 6 2009, 05:30 PM) ...If you had the choice between an xbox or ps3 you would choose the ps3.
Obviously you would choose the PS3, because the Xbox is last generation. Though if you gave me a choice of the Xbox 360 and PS3, I'd choose the 360.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER