I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This article talks about how the 3D bubble has busted.They've even got Iwata on record as saying that the 3D effects on the 3DS aren't being more than a novelty.

http://techland.time.com/2012/07/13/the-3d-hype-bubble-is-now-completely-busted/

Iwata: So, now we’ve created the 3DS and 3DS XL and also have some games out there that are really using that 3D effect that we can see, from my point of view, that it’s an important element. But as human beings are this kind of surprise effect wears off quickly, and just [having] this 3D stereoscopic effect isn’t going to keep people excited.

I am in agreement. 3D is overly hyped. I never pay for 3D tickets because 2D tickets are just as good. I don't own a 3D TV, and I don't care to buy one.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I knew it. the 3D on the 3DS is just gimmick. None I know turn on the 3D on the 3DS. Nintendo should have cut the 3D effect an invested on more power and/or better tech.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendo havent really advertised their 3D as a huge selling point.
It's not really a gimmick, it's just... there...
having it is better than not having it (price-wise aswell)
altough i would say that 3D still isnt ready for home entertainment.

Reactions: 5 people

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I think of it like the 3DS is the 3rd in the line of Nintendo DSes, instead of a 3D S.
To me, it's the hardware upgrade that appealed to me, with the 3D as a bonus feature.

Reactions: 8 people

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
3D when seen on a screen the first few times is amazing, because, wow it's 3D on a screen.

You get used to it pretty easily though, I mean, life is in 3D and we don't go "wow" every time we open our eyes.

Games look nicer with 3D on. It's not a gimmik, they just look nicer. It's not going to amaze you every time, just as people who have have had a PS3 for a long time are probably not amazed by the graphical improvements you get over PS2. You get used to it. You take it for granted, maybe.

Personally I love the 3D, especially when it's not that stupid pop-out crap.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Personally I like the 3DS 3D effect, just that the screen is very small, sweet spot is extremely limited and absurd battery.

The 3DS XL sorta fixed these issues.

I agree though, 3D is unneeded. IMO It isn't exactly a "true" gimmick, but it is unneeded.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
It is regrettable if Iwata says it.But also I had the Vita and traded it for a ps3, kept my 3ds tough. The vita wont be to much of a competition for the 3ds because Sony is doing the same with it as with the psp(a couple of good games and the rest just bad ports) .

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I never really got hyped about the 3D effect. I bought the 3DS(at launch) cuz the better hardware and the future games that could come. But cuz I had a DSi XL found the screen too small to enjoy the games also the battery. So now as chris888222 said the 3DS XL fixes all that I want to buy one again. I really don't understand how people wanted a 3DS Lite, as if wasn't small enough.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This article talks about how the 3D bubble has busted.They've even got Iwata on record as saying that the 3D effects on the 3DS aren't being more than a novelty.

http://techland.time...pletely-busted/

Iwata: So, now we’ve created the 3DS and 3DS XL and also have some games out there that are really using that 3D effect that we can see, from my point of view, that it’s an important element. But as human beings are this kind of surprise effect wears off quickly, and just [having] this 3D stereoscopic effect isn’t going to keep people excited.

I am in agreement. 3D is overly hyped. I never pay for 3D tickets because 2D tickets are just as good. I don't own a 3D TV, and I don't care to buy one.
techland.time.com seems interested in cherry picking, because if the reader examines the full interview, he or she would discover Iwata admits to nothing but the INITIAL "surprise effect" of 3D will fade quickly. That is not news. Am I expected to have a "surprise effect" every time I eat a fancyfruit ? Because lord knows I'll pound fancyfruits till I puke, but that doesn't mean I am continually shocked and surprised by the experience.

He goes on to say
"But I think it’s an important element, it makes graphics more impactful, it proves a sense of immersion that 2D doesn’t have, so I would say generally that 3D is better than 2D. It’s nice to have good graphics but not necessarily on their own, so I don’t think we’ll present [3D graphics] as one of the key features of our consoles but will probably stick with 3D as one of the minor elements of our consoles in the future.
"

I don't blame the original poster for this absolute ****job of a hitpiece. So much **** it's like a Daniel Tosh show. That interview actually has much more interesting things to say about the future of 3D feature length movies and how Nintendo is ACTUALLY CONSIDERING DISTRIBUTING THEM. THAT'S the story.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like going to see 3D movies in theaters. I saw the last Harry Potter film and The Avengers in 3D.
I love the use of it to create a better sense of depth, not just to have stuff come out at you.
I know when things are farther away or closer in movies, but I love how 3D emphasizes that.

I need to get a new TV anyway, so I'll probably get a 3D one, so I can watch 3D movies.
And I know I have some 3D capable games, so I'll try them out.

Reactions: 1 person

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techland.time.com seems interested in cherry picking, because if the reader examines the full interview, he or she would discover Iwata admits to nothing but the INITIAL "surprise effect" of 3D will fade quickly. That is not news. Am I expected to have a "surprise effect" every time I eat a fancyfruit ? Because lord knows I'll pound fancyfruits till I puke, but that doesn't mean I am continually shocked and surprised by the experience.

Well, if you limit your intake of fancyfruit, you will get a surprise effect each time. Though keep pounding them, and anyone will become jaded with the fancyfruit sooner or later. But yes, my main concern with the posting and commenting on these articles is that nobody thinks critically about the sensationalism of vulgar journalism:

Some exec: "Blah blah blah THING YOU ALL SUSPECTED AND NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY!"

Fake-ass journalist: "HE'S ADMITTED IT! GRAB YOUR TORCHES BOYS!"

Boys: "CAN I BORROW YOUR TORCH? MY MOM'S WASHING MINE!!"

It was pretty obvious from that quote that he wasn't dismissing 3D (and I mean, it could be a poor translation at that, unless Iwata was doing an English interview?), just that mainstream exposure was wearing out the gimmick effect. They seem to have their software game down pat, so I'm not too worried. Still wish the damn thing weren't region locked -_-

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
couldn't agree more i hate 3d both in gaming AND movies! that's why i don't go to the cinema much anymore cos nearly every god damn movie is only in 3d and they won't show the non 3d versions! when i get my 3ds xl (this month) i prob won't ever use the 3d setting i get enough headaches already.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
couldn't agree more i hate 3d both in gaming AND movies! that's why i don't go to the cinema much anymore cos nearly every god damn movie is only in 3d and they won't show the non 3d versions! when i get my 3ds xl (this month) i prob won't ever use the 3d setting i get enough headaches already.

They almost always have non-3D versions. They had a non-3D version of Avatar for Christ's sake. Hell I've only seen 5 movies in theaters with 3D (Avatar, Tron, Wrath of the Titans, The Last Airbender (which hardly counts as "3D") and Captain America).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello