Iwata admits 3D excitement is Fading

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if this was about the vita it would have been closed or moved right away for "trolling".

I usually play games with 3d off anyways, it doesnt affect gameplay at all. only battery.

Reactions: 2 people

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if this was about the vita it would have been closed or moved right away for "trolling".

I usually play games with 3d off anyways, it doesnt affect gameplay at all. only battery.
The Vita doesn't have 3D.
I meant when someone says something negative about a system.

Vita = this is not news. Moved.
3DS = lol lets keep this here and laugh at it.

Reactions: 1 person

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Vita doesn't have 3D.

Hence why it would be removed for trolling, lol.

But seriously, what would the Vita version of this 'article' be? "Sony exec admits people don't want HD handheld? Thinks Vita would have been better name than PSP HD?"

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, whenever I played a 3DS, I used the settings. I wasn't stupid and blasted them full-on, but found the level I was comfortable with, and I liked the effect. It's not really a negative for or against the system--but you know what is? The horrible anti-aliasing. I don't remember the DS being so jagged. Even if I don't want the 3D setting, I leave it on ever-so-slightly, just to get rid of the jaggies.

I don't get excited by rumble and analog these days. Doesn't mean I no longer want them.

Rumble and analog don't lead to eyestrain or headaches.
It leads to blisters! And dead batteries.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get excited by rumble and analog these days. Doesn't mean I no longer want them.

Well that's just because of the rudimentary technology involved in current 3D displays. I wouldn't write-off the entire future of 3D entertainment because of this.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
couldn't agree more i hate 3d both in gaming AND movies! that's why i don't go to the cinema much anymore cos nearly every god damn movie is only in 3d and they won't show the non 3d versions! when i get my 3ds xl (this month) i prob won't ever use the 3d setting i get enough headaches already.

They almost always have non-3D versions.
not at MY cinema their in love with it so damn much they only have the 3d versions.
Just wear the glasses and close one eye the entire film. :P

Anyway, I don't see how this is news; as yuyuyup said, this is badly paraphrased and is completely biased. Every wow-factor wears of eventually, but that doesn't mean you still don't want it.
Hmmm... I think the excitement of having a colour TV has worn off for me.... gonna go back to black and white. /sarcasm

Personally I use the 3D on max on my 3DS all the time and it even bugs me when I have to turn it off if I know I'm not going to be near a mains socket for another few hours. Never had any of this eyestrain or headaches and honestly, even 1 year on, I can't believe people are still attempting to laugh off the 3D as a 'gimmick that destroys your eyes'.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think devs could have made 3D something worth turning on if they had just used it in a way like 3D land did. Use it in a shooter as a way of jugding distance and assisting aim, or a puzzle solving element. But sadly they didn't. Personally, if 3D didn't augment scratches and all I would use it much more. I still standby that it is not a gimmick, it has practical use but it just hasn't been utilized yet.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
couldn't agree more i hate 3d both in gaming AND movies! that's why i don't go to the cinema much anymore cos nearly every god damn movie is only in 3d and they won't show the non 3d versions! when i get my 3ds xl (this month) i prob won't ever use the 3d setting i get enough headaches already.

They almost always have non-3D versions.
not at MY cinema their in love with it so damn much they only have the 3d versions.
Get two pairs of glasses, flip one pair upside down, and wear them on top of one another. It would work.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the 3ds for the games. Not the 3D. But the 3D is just there so its nice to have every once in awhile. Its like an ice cream topping. Sometimes the games sweet enough, othertimes you want some gotdang sprinkles. (The problem being most of the time the sprinkles murder your eyes...)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get two pairs of glasses, flip one pair upside down, and wear them on top of one another. It would work.
Yeah and look like a dummy while doing it.

Personally, if 3D didn't augment scratches
Huh?

Also, they have been doing so while looking awesome. Except I didn't think I seen it used for puzzles.
Not saying all games do so,but the added 3d is still pretty nice.
I bought the 3ds for the games. Not the 3D. But the 3D is just there so its nice to have every once in awhile. Its like an ice cream topping. Sometimes the games sweet enough, othertimes you want some gotdang sprinkles. (The problem being most of the time the sprinkles "murder" chavosaur eyes...)
*fixed

I hope they keep 3d for their next handle and improve upon it(with whatever else they add). Really, better batteries should be out by that time.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The 3D is a nice effect, and I keep it on all the time. In fact, the games themselves seem a bit odd when the 3D is off, since it loses that depth. That's just me though.

As was mentioned by yuyuyup, it's not the 3D effect that is losing excitement. It is the initial reaction. Back when the 3DS was first publicly displayed, a lot of people were excited and shocked because of the fact it was glasses-free 3D. Not a whole lot of devices like TVs had this, and this was being incorporated into a mass-marketed device. Now, the initial shock reaction is lower because there are more glasses-free devices released, so it now seems like the 3DS is just part of the crowd, even though it was one of the first to start it up.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like saying everyone is wowed when something first comes out and then no one cares two months later, what's new?

D

Deleted_171835

Shit news thread once again.

3D is awesome and extremely immersive. In fact, I hope 3D becomes more widespread in the videogame medium. It's great for immersing myself in the game.

3D on the 3DS doesn't result in eyestrain or headaches for most people anyways.

Reactions: 3 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I don't think they ever really pushed it as the coolest new thing. They were all about how 3D adds immersion and is a natural step to gaming.
Iwata's also said that their next handheld will also probably feature 3D, not as a selling point, but as a standard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents