It's Happened: The 3DS Has Outsold The DS' First Year,

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Whoa! A console with an established name thanks to DS's great success sold better than the DS which was a console built from the ground up after ditching the GameBoy name!

How... unsuprising and uneventful.

Didn't happen with the PS3 on its first year though.

Then there's the Wii from the GameCube's lack of success.

It's the product. Never the predecessor.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Quick Question was that design flaw that everyone was complaining about. (Lower Screen Scratches On Upper Screen) ever get fixed, that is the only thing that made me worried about buying one, but i've been thinking about getting Mario Kart 7. So i was wondering if that is still a problem, or is it fixed. Thanks

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
It would be a problem if you don't have a screen protector. I have mine with a screen protector at day 1. It's not even a scratch. Just a smudge you could wipe with a kleenex.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Didn't happen with the PS3 on its first year though.
That had nothing to do with the product. That was solely because of a manufacturing shortage. There were people shooting other people for PS3s back in 2006, you know :teach:

Not here pal. Even if your premise is correct, the Wii was very successful on its first year considering the GameCube bombed.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not here pal. Even if your premise is correct, the Wii was very successful on its first year considering the GameCube bombed.
That also had not much to do with the product. It had to do with marketing. The PS2 was the least powerful console of last generation (specs-wise, unless you include the Dreamcast as last-gen), yet it went on to become the highest-selling console of all time. The GameCube pretty much continued the whole "Nintendo is for kids" thing, and Nintendo didn't really do much to make it truly special (although it was a pretty good console).
The reason the Wii sold amazingly was because of their approach. Not only did Nintendo market it towards non-gamers (with the motion controls and all), they made it considerably inexpensive compared to the competition. And even though they didn't have manufacturing issues like Sony (IIRC they had 5 PS3s per store), they still managed to sell out an otherwise inferior product across the world for several months.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
That also had not much to do with the product. It had to do with marketing. The PS2 was the least powerful console of last generation (specs-wise, unless you include the Dreamcast as last-gen), yet it went on to become the highest-selling console of all time. The GameCube pretty much continued the whole "Nintendo is for kids" thing, and Nintendo didn't really do much to make it truly special (although it was a pretty good console).
The reason the Wii sold amazingly was because of their approach. Not only did Nintendo market it towards non-gamers (with the motion controls and all), they made it considerably inexpensive compared to the competition. And even though they didn't have manufacturing issues like Sony (IIRC they had 5 PS3s per store), they still managed to sell out an otherwise inferior product across the world for several months.

Re-read the original post I quoted.
;*)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've tried the thing a little bit on my videogame store with Pilot wings could never adjust the 3D effect. :wtf:

So i was expecting : It's Happened! The 3DS cross eyes our children!
Won't surprise me to see such news in few years, how did they test before release the long range effect of their device? Customer guinea pigs yay!

link_derp.jpg
Stereoscopy is not magic. It's not an unknown process with untested consequences. It's a simple optical trick that's been used in some way or another for longer than you've been alive. All credible optical professionals agree it will have no long term negative consequences. (except the outside possibility of issues with excessive use by children under 3)

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
It would be a problem if you don't have a screen protector. I have mine with a screen protector at day 1. It's not even a scratch. Just a smudge you could wipe with a kleenex.
Thanks, I guess a screen protector will do, I was thinking of getting the Hori brand, if you have a better suggestion let me know

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
I got mine from a local online store (low quality chinese brand but does the job well). My lower screen's protector is blurry because of the way my daughter plays. So I would suggest you buy 3 for the lower screen if it gets blurred by excessive swiping.

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, the massive price cut kinda did its job I guess. I recently saw the 3DS being priced lower then the DSiXL (or whatever it's called). That really astonished me.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the massive price cut kinda did its job I guess. I recently saw the 3DS being priced lower then the DSiXL (or whatever it's called). That really astonished me.
That probably won't "even out" (the older console costing a bit less as would be expected) until either a new revision 3DS unit is on the horizon or DS/DSi/DSiWare games lose popularity to the 3DS by a more significant extent.

However, in the US, right now the MSRP for the core console (excluding "Bundle" packages that include games) is the same for the DSi XL and the 3DS: US$169.99.

If you can still find DS Lite consoles new, the MSRP is now only US$99.99, but they are hard to find new-in-box at all the retailers in my area, as well as no longer being listed on my primary online stores.

If I remember correctly, when the DS Lite was released @ US$129.99, I specifically remember GBA SP still being US$99.99 new, (but a bit less for used/refurb, obviously).

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On Amazon.de a Nintendo 3DS sets you back 159,00€ whereas the cheapest Nintendo DSi XL is 167,98€. Plus, a huge German retailer is currently selling the Nintendo 3DS + Super Mario Land 3D for 169,00€. So you'd get a 3DS + a game for the price of a DSi XL. That's just plain crazy, who the hell would chose the DSi XL? In comparison, in your example concerning the DS Lite and GBA SP the older console (GBA SP) is priced -30% under the newer one. That seems much more reasonable.

To get to the point: 3DS priced kinda low, DSi XL priced kinda high ;) .

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking strictly MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), not retailer/sale prices. But I was also comparing the launch of a second revision console to the previous generation's final unit. (Unless you call the Micro the final unit?)

DSi XL is not the previous generation, DSi is. DSi XL is just a deluxe version of the same console.

I can't find any information regarding an official price drop for the DSi XL in Europe. Perhaps Nintendo hasn't officially suggested that European retailers keep the XL's price in line with the 3DS.

The difference in price is closer to 23%, not 30%. (100/130 is 76.92%) Shame on you for making me use math in a post, but I hate to see someone use a percentage incorrectly citing my own data.

My point was only that there's no incentive for Nintendo to make DSi or DSi XL significantly cheaper yet. They didn't do that with Gameboy Advance SP until a full redesign was done with DS. I don't honestly remember how much it cost before the DS Lite came out though. I sold mine for travel money within months of getting it. (I had the NES Special Edition GBA SP too T_T)

ALSO, I also wished I could buy a new DS Lite at the new price. As soon as the official price hit $99.99, they disappeared from Newegg.com's catalogue completely.. even on Amazon you have to buy used to get below the $100 mark.

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My point was only that there's no incentive for Nintendo to make DSi or DSi XL significantly cheaper yet. They didn't do that with Gameboy Advance SP until a full redesign was done with DS.

I'm sorry this got kind of off topic. But I still feel like I should answer your post :D .
You might be right, although I still can't imagine anybody choosing a DSi XL over a 3DS when the DSi XL is the same or even more expensive than the 3DS.
And excuse me for messing up the math, completely screwed that up.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And excuse me for messing up the math, completely screwed that up.

I forgive you, I just hate math. ^_^

I happen to think that not bothering to reduce the prices for DSi/XL makes the 3DS even more appealing to people who would not be sure about committing to 3DS. If the price on 3DS wasn't reduced so dramatically, they would probably be selling those DSi/DSi XL at a reasonable rate for the holidays.
If you look at it that way, it's prudent to leave the DSi/XL consoles in the same price range as the 3DS. Reducing them dramatically would mean voluntarily losing profit on consoles they aren't pushing heavily anymore.
So as I said before, next 3DS revision, they'll probably be confident in the appeal of the next 3DS so much that they'll just chop the DSi/DSi XL to encourage retailers to liquidate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7