Xbox has sold 2.3 million consoles in Japan in 20 years

billyJ.jpg

Microsoft has sold just over two million consoles during its lifetime in Japan, according to a new report in Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, and spotted by VGC. The original Xbox launched on February 22, 2002 in Japan, and in the twenty years since, a total of 2,345,975 units have been sold, the vast majority of which were Xbox 360s. The console breakdown is as follows:
  • Xbox – 472,992
  • Xbox 360 – 1,616,128
  • Xbox One – 114,831
  • Xbox Series X/S – 142,024
The Xbox Series X|S is off to a good start, already beating out its predecessor in just 15 months. The Series X|S is also the first Xbox console to launch in Japan at the same time as the rest of the world, and Xbox head Phil Spencer has said that he plans to improve Xbox's place in Japan this generation. Speaking to GamerTag Radio in February 2020, Spencer said "I don’t know if we’re winning in Japan any time soon, but the position that we have in Japan today from a platform isn’t acceptable to me," before getting into more specific plans for this generation. “We’re going to do a much better job with this next, upcoming launch of not waiting ten months to launch in Japan like we did last time. We’re going to make sure our services like Game Pass, xCloud and stuff are there so people will have access to it.” Game Pass was launched in Japan in April 2020, and Xbox Cloud Gaming with Game Pass Ultimate made it to Japan last September.

The report also revealed the top five best-selling games in Japan, with Dead or Alive 3 on the original Xbox topping the list with 271,149 units sold, meaning 46% of original Xbox owners in Japan bought the game.
  • Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox) – 271,149
  • Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Xbox 360) – 208,521
  • Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360) – 204,305
  • Blue Dragon (Xbox 360) – 203,740
  • The Last Remnant (Xbox 360) – 154,493
:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pkaystation does have the sheep effect on a HELL of a lot of people! They owned the previous gen PS so will always go and buy the new one even if it’s not the best.
Sony could basically release a dustbin with a PS6 logo on it next time round and the sheep would still buy it. Same ones that go out and buy fifa and cod every year without fail.
😁
this is not true or the vita would have been a sucess lol and it was a huge flop.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Vita was just too expensive at a time when smartphone gaming was starting to take off.
lol the ps3 was even more expensive for the time of release

ps3 came out in 2006 and costed 500$ for the 20gb model and 600$ for the 60gb model

psvita came out costing 250$ in 2012 the same exact price of the 3ds which came out at 250$ in 2011

So how come one year earlier you got a 3ds at the same exact price of the vita and only the vita was too expensive? makes no sense.

Again this proves the sony sheeps dont really exist like you claim that a sony logo and its a sucess, because the 3ds was a sucess and vita flopped and both were out only afew months apart with the same price tag.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol the ps3 was even more expensive for the time of release

ps3 came out in 2006 and costed 500$ for the 20gb model and 600$ for the 60gb model

psvita came out costing 250$ in 2012 the same exact price of the 3ds which came out at 250$ in 2011

So how come one year earlier you got a 3ds at the same exact price of the vita and only the vita was too expensive? makes no sense.

Again this proves the sony sheeps dont really exist like you claim that a sony logo and its a sucess, because the 3ds was a sucess and vita flopped and both were out only afew months apart with the same price tag.
Portables are a completely different market tho.

I get the feeling those Sony sheep are trying to deny their own existence 😂

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Portables are a completely different market tho.

I get the feeling those Sony sheep are trying to deny their own existence 😂
yeah keep moving the goalpost the psp sold really well but yeah that doesnt matter because you keep moving the goalpost lol

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah keep moving the goalpost the psp sold really well but yeah that doesnt matter because you keep moving the goalpost lol
Again portables are a different market completely and Nintendo has always been the market leader in those... My point about Sony CONSOLES still remains. No matter how you play it or twist it around about portables, there are people out there that will not ever even consider buying any console that isn't a Playstation.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Again portables are a different market completely and Nintendo has always been the market leader in those... My point about Sony CONSOLES still remains. No matter how you play it or twist it around about portables, there are people out there that will not ever even consider buying any console that isn't a Playstation.
there are people out there that dont buy anything that isnt an xbox or a nintendo or a gaming pc...
Seriously this is noting new, this exist on every department even smartphones brands, eletrodomestic brands and such, there are always people loyal to some brands, if a brand does exist there is a given that some people like that brand and will only buy it from that brand doesnt matter if its a console or not.

also im not twisting the story you are lol

your first post said if PlayStation released a dustbin with a ps logo on it it would be a success becuase the sheep buy it blindly.
i said they released the ps vita which came after the huge success of the PSP and it flopped

then you moved the goalpost again
You said oh no the psvita failled becuase it was too expensive
I said the 3ds released a year earlier at the same exact point and went on to be a successful console so the price wasn't the obstacle here

Now since you were out of logic you just decided that a console being portable makes it not be valid because nintendo dominated the space, which again is crappy logic because the psp was up against the DS and still sold really well reaching almost 80 million units sold.

So yeah you say i twist the story or facts and you are the one twisting the reality around what you want to believe lol.

nikeymikey

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there are people out there that dont buy anything that isnt an xbox or a nintendo or a gaming pc...
Seriously this is noting new, this exist on every department even smartphones brands, eletrodomestic brands and such, there are always people loyal to some brands, if a brand does exist there is a given that some people like that brand and will only buy it from that brand doesnt matter if its a console or not.

also im not twisting the story you are lol

your first post said if PlayStation released a dustbin with a ps logo on it it would be a success becuase the sheep buy it blindly.
i said they released the ps vita which came after the huge success of the PSP and it flopped

then you moved the goalpost again
You said oh no the psvita failled becuase it was too expensive
I said the 3ds released a year earlier at the same exact point and went on to be a successful console so the price wasn't the obstacle here

Now since you were out of logic you just decided that a console being portable makes it not be valid because nintendo dominated the space, which again is crappy logic because the psp was up against the DS and still sold really well reaching almost 80 million units sold.

So yeah you say i twist the story or facts and you are the one twisting the reality around what you want to believe lol.
Just Lolz, dude! FFS over think an opinion why don't ya?? :)

Portables are obviously a different market completely. Just because someone owns a home console doesn't mean they will necessarily buy a portable, likewise the other way around.
Had the Vita been supported properly and not been so expensive at launch then it may have sold as many as the PSP.

On a separate note, just look at the grammar in your post above..... all those red lines... :P

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just Lolz, dude! FFS over think an opinion why don't ya?? :)

Portables are obviously a different market completely. Just because someone owns a home console doesn't mean they will necessarily buy a portable, likewise the other way around.
Had the Vita been supported properly and not been so expensive at launch then it may have sold as many as the PSP.

On a separate note, just look at the grammar in your post above..... all those red lines... :P
When you run out of logic, you resort to insults. Neat. Don't normally agree with Pedro, but you're absolutely reaching.:rofl2:

When your main point is that people eat up Playstation products like candy. You're wrong. The Vita flopped for a lot of reasons, but people didn't lap it up cuz Sony.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: pedro702

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
makes you think
also, PS5 is american seeing as how playstation moved their headquarters to cali not too far back
I always say that since the DS, Japanese people dont care much about home consoles, they care way more about portables, so that is why I think partnering with SEGA would not make much of a difference, since Microsoft was never interested in the portable market, not just for consoles, the closest they made an effort on the handheld market was with Windows Phone but it was too little too late. Other products such as Zune and Surface are mostly responses to other products than an active effort (even Windows Mobile, the predecessor to Windows Phone, it was just a response to Palm OS).
Even though PS sells well, many, many times they lose to sales compared to any current Nintendo handheld, or how even the Vita still sold well on Japan despite flopping everywhere else.

FLRIZDARKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I always say that since the DS, Japanese people dont care much about home consoles, they care way more about portables, so that is why I think partnering with SEGA would not make much of a difference, since Microsoft was never interested in the portable market, not just for consoles, the closest they made an effort on the handheld market was with Windows Phone but it was too little too late. Other products such as Zune and Surface are mostly responses to other products than an active effort (even Windows Mobile, the predecessor to Windows Phone, it was just a response to Palm OS).
Even though PS sells well, many, many times they lose to sales compared to any current Nintendo handheld, or how even the Vita still sold well on Japan despite flopping everywhere else.
Tbh the original Xbox is almost a Dreamcast 2 (Sega even wanted Microsoft to make it backwards compatible), so a Sega badge wouldn't do much.

Also you are right, portable is all the rage now in Japan, mobile gaming, Switch, Vita, 3DS. It has to do with the type of games too of course that make sense on a portable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"