Hacking Is there ANYWAY to get Action Replay GC working on a Wii?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My old GC AR disc has finally cracked beyond use.
frown.gif
. I tried burning it with GCOS and it would just boot to a green screen. Is there anyway to get the GC AR running on a Wii? Should I just try burning a straight unshrunk iso and boot it with GeckoOS, does that work?

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Could you not boot one of the action replay .dols with some way to launch homebrew? I could not get it to boot directly from the gamecube homebrew launcher. It gives errors with insert/eject disc.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it wouldn't run on 3.3U even with a modchip because Nintendo blocked in it on a firmware update? Or does that only work on original discs and unmodded Wiis?

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working the other day through some advice from gekka_no_kenshi, so all credit goes to him:

"the wii seems to be selectively blocking certain headers of gc discs to prevent them from booting (like AR). changing the header can bypass that (u'll need a modded wii also to run the burnt disc). first, make an image of the disc. then use something like a hex editor to see the header of the image. it's like the first 20 bytes or so. it'll be something like NHL.. something. replace that using a valid header from another working gc game. i used the header from the paper mario disc. make sure u're only replacing bytes, not adding or deleting them. when u're done, save the image, and then burn it. load it in the wii, and it should work perfectly."

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, when loading it in GCOS it had the name NHL HITZ 2002 2 or something, so is it already valid? Or is that the one Datel used and you have to change it to something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk