Homebrew Is there any reason to use an actual Wii?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,051
  • Replies 57

Most-Wanted

3D OLED TV'S /o/
Trophies
XP
Country
PC in the living room setup as a console using Emulation Station, The motherboard is a Asus z97 AC wifi , It comes with blutooth so I can use my Wii remotes

I advise everyone to do this, I love the setup

Emulation Station is the Overlay of RetroPie an OS for Raspberry pie, This is a lot better then that small device since you can now Emulate PS2 and Wii games

Last edited by Most-Wanted,

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only computer is a low-spec laptop, so Dolphin is not a viable option for me. Using my Wii guarantees full speed and compatibility with Wii and Gamecube games, and it also functions very well as an emulation machine for everything GBA and older. Even some N64 games run decently (Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Rocket: Robot on Wheels.)

It also helps that my main TV is a 720p Vizio that my brother sold me for like $25. It handles 480p sources incredibly well, clear, bright, and sharp with less than a single frame of input lag.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii is both soft modded and chipped (so copied games spin at full speed). I'll be keeping it as long as it works. I do have a dolphin bar (or whatever it's called) for my PC, but only used it once or twice. I'm pretty sure I have unopened Wii games still, and unplayed (used) Gamecube games for it. Picked up the GC ones because I never got into GC but there were a couple of titles I must play someday as a matter of principle (Metroid and Zelda... though I do have Wind Waker HD now, but no way else to play the Metroid games unless they are part of the trilogy set). Now I'm just rambling...

Last edited by urherenow,

rkChdrkls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These days dolphin can emulate the Wii and GameCube in 8k resolution if your PC is up to the task. A real Wii looks blurry as fuck on a HD TV whereas a good PC can make Wii games look a lot neater (though still with aged textures).

So unless you're living on a tight budget and buying a Wii is cheaper than a new PC, is there any other reason to use a real Wii?

The upscaled resolution don't look that good to me and are still a bit blurry at anything other than the TV/Monitor's native res. Nothing beat a wii picture on a crt imho (particularly some of the later ones that support 480p).

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But the sentence was talking about a possible future, so maybe it was thinking about the RPi12, not the RPi3.
Yes. I never specifically mentioned raspberry pi 3, just a fairly generic 'retropie'... granted, it could be a decade or more away... maybe we'll even have orginal xbox emulation possible by then!

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Dolphin will become a far more interesting and appealing prospect when it becomes possible to run the fully featured "all bells and whistles" version of it via Retropie.

...but, tbh, this is a largely objective question the Op's posed anyway - in so much as it can apply to virtually every old system versus whatever emulator is best supported for that particular system... "Is there any reason to use an actual [insert any old games console/handheld here]" ...the answers will be almost identical to those in this thread.

Some people just like the actual hardware. Even if a PC can run Gamecube at 4K, with SSAO, AF and all of the bells and whistles, people will still play on an original console. There's those who don't want to invest in a PC, configure it, the legal gray area of Emulators as well. Retro gamers are a peculiar bunch.

Reactions: netovsk

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some people just like the actual hardware. Even if a PC can run Gamecube at 4K, with SSAO, AF and all of the bells and whistles, people will still play on an original console. There's those who don't want to invest in a PC, configure it, the legal gray area of Emulators as well. Retro gamers are a peculiar bunch.

Echoed almost exactly what I said in my first post in this thread...
My feeling's entirely.
It's strange though... I use my Wii U to play Wii games in HD, my Wii to play GC in 480 via component, and my GC (with Gameboy Player) to play GB/GBC/GBA via RGB SCART... us retro collectors are a strange breed :creep:

:D ...a peculiar bunch indeed!

Reactions: netovsk

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@StarTrekVoyager Oh I'm sorry then, I'm having a hard time finding the motion bar connect port and the gamecube controlller port on my computer, it just has USB and PCI and those don't fit any of the mentioned above.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@StarTrekVoyager Oh I'm sorry then, I'm having a hard time finding the motion bar connect port and the gamecube controlller port on my computer, it just has USB and PCI and those don't fit any of the mentioned above.
Lol, of course I wasn't saying that. But Dolphin now supports native GC controller input through the official Smash Wii U GC adapter. Which means exactly zero input lag BTW. And you can find the DolphinBar BT sensor bar for about 20 bucks on Amazon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But the sentence was talking about a possible future, so maybe it was thinking about the RPi12, not the RPi3.
Even then, this is quite false. Currently the Pi Foundation guys are having a hard time trying to find ways to boast more power in prevision of the Pi 4, which might never be released :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1