Is there any benefit to using the virtual Wii?

deegore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just got a Wii u and did the tiramisu mod.
It looks like Wii u, Wii, and GameCube can all be installed with usb helper.
RetroArch and UWUVCI should let me play any DS, N64, SNES and NES games I want.
Does anything run better on the virtual Wii, or have better controller support?

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I just got a Wii u and did the tiramisu mod.
It looks like Wii u, Wii, and GameCube can all be installed with usb helper.
Does anything run better on the virtual Wii, or have better controller support?
Hello, great choice on getting a Wii U.
I think tho, you mixed some stuff up:
When you install games with Usb Helper say, Gamecube games. The Wii U will boot vWii to play these games via Nintendon't.
As far as I know, N64 and PS1 emulation work better in vwii

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To me....controller supportis "worse" on Wii specially on VWII, you cannot use gamepad, have to switch all the time from one controller to the other, it a pain in the neck that not all the 4 "Major" controllers (The Gamepad, the wiimote, a gamepad controller connected to the wiimote or the WiiU controller Pro) used for wiiU work everywhre in the wiiu ;-(
Also, the fact that you "need" the wiimote to go in Vwii, and need the Gamepad to go in the parameter menu is a PAIN Too!
If you can live with that, it's a good console if you accept also the time of loading, but when you had an Oric/Atmos or a K7 Amstrad like I had as a kid, it's acceptable.
Adding to this, the GAMEPAD screen should be set off by default by Itself when not needed or used, which is not the case.
I Really think the PS2 was the Last best CONSOLE whith no loading forever time, no bloody updates or any other bothering system things.
Hopping AROMA, a futur system for wiiu will change that oneday!!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To point out the obvious, there is more homebrew on vwii than wii u. Not just homebrew emulators, but homebrew games and tools. Speaking of emulators, if you want a organized selection of emulators that is independent from retroarch, that's an option, with some even supporting wii u gamepad. Is probably better using retroarch on wii u than vwii for the more power necessary to play most cores, but not everyone find retroarch an easy pick up and play setting like stand alone emulators provide.

I think the biggest hurdle of using vwii on wii u is lacking gamepad support. Requiring the use of the intended control method of wiimotes. That makes sense for wii games, and it depends on the game honestly but the fact that wii u has "Virtual console" wii games that support wii u gamepad is just absurd. If the game supports classic controller, then it should easily support gamepad, why doesn't it? Blame nintendo.

Honestly if that one issue was resolved, think it would be way more accepting to switch between. Although the load times of swapping between vwii and wii u mode may require patience.

Also DS & N64 is not supported in retroarch. You need to use rom injection into the virtual console emulator for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can