Gaming Is the Switch future compatible with a new digital-only infrastructure for Gen 9th consoles?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really... The switch wouldn't be able to handle a all digital market due to its low amount of internal memory. Although their are memory cards they wont be able to hold that many games especially triple AAA games that can be 50 gigs. The only way the switch would be able to surive an all digital market is if sd cards are made which can hold 1 to 2 tb or at least 500 gig. Their are now 256 gig sd cards that are 20 $ but still that wont be enough...
Switch NAND is fully upgradeable— I bet Nintendo is gonna start selling Switch's with 64, 128 GB of NAND. To clarify, the NAND is not soldered to the motherboard like the 3DS & Wii. It's on a separate, small unit that connects to the motherboard via an internal port. I bet third parties might even start selling high-capacity, though expensive, NAND for the switch.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
also xbox is doing that ebcuase they lost, xbox sales are a disaster this gen, they need to make something to make it worth it lol, sony doesnt even need to do this becuase they already won, even after the xbox one x launched sbox is still selling like crap compared to competition, companys when they are loosing ake huge dels even ones that make almost no money to get some sales, which xbox is doing to stay relevant.
To some extent I agree, but that's still a high value of games you get if you haven't played many of them with XB1 Game Pass. Sony's streaming service is kind of a joke by comparison, even though they obviously dominated the console market for most of this gen.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To some extent I agree, but that's still a high value of games you get if you haven't played many of them with XB1 Game Pass. Sony's streaming service is kind of a joke by comparison, even though they obviously dominated the console market for most of this gen.
desperate times ask for desperate measures, xbox is trying to roll out some xboxes with this, but even then they arent sucedding. switch launched 11 months ago and already grabbed 10%+ of the market and xbox on 3.5 years only has under 30% of the market and dropping.

every analist you ask nintendo will catch up to xbox share in 1 year probably both having around 20s and ps4 having the rest.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
desperate times ask for desperate measures, xbox is trying to roll out some xboxes with this, but even then they arent sucedding. switch launched 11 months ago and already grabbed 10%+ of the market and xbox on 3.5 years only has under 30% of the market and dropping.

every analist you ask nintendo will catch up to xbox share in 1 year probably both having around 20s and ps4 having the rest.
Oh so you'll talk about analyzing the market when it comes to the big three consoles, but not when it comes to physical vs digital. :ha:

Switch could hit 30% or even 40% marketshare. In some markets (like Japan) closer to 70%. Things go in cycles, so Switch will probably sell close to Wii numbers. Even if you have a PS4/PC already, there's no reason not to want one as a portable. Gonna be investing in big N stock soon.

Last edited by Xzi,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh so you'll talk about analyzing the market when it comes to the big three consoles, but not when it comes to physical vs digital. :ha:
in america sure, in the rest of the world not so much, there are manny manny countrys where online isnt the best or good for the matter even in europe, downloading 50gb worth of a game is insanity with my internet lol and i have a decent internet here lol.

consoles will never loose phisical releases, look at pspgo it was a failure becuase digital only, same with any "console" like ouya,steam boxes and any other type of "console" they wanted you to have connected to the tv without any phisical media type.

show me something that wasnt a pc where games had no phisical media and was a sucess and i will praise digital only systems.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
show me something that wasnt a pc where games had no phisical media and was a sucess and i will praise digital only systems.
That's the thing though: the vast majority of sales on all consoles are already digital OR online game sales which can be equated to digital either way. Why should Sony/MS give up the profit they make by selling to the consumer directly? Out of the goodness of their capitalist hearts? I wouldn't count on it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's the thing though: the vast majority of sales on all consoles are already digital OR online game sales which can be equated to digital either way. Why should Sony/MS give up the profit they make by selling to the consumer directly? Out of the goodness of their capitalist hearts? I wouldn't count on it.
also i readed this https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...ads-now-represent-more-than-50-of-al-1781562/

so if you read carefully you will see the asterisc
*Digital format sales include subscriptions, digital full games, digital add-on content, mobile apps and social network gaming

This makes it a bogus thing lol, inclusing dlc and sbscriptions and apps and such, most games nowadays even if you buy phisicaly they have more money released on dlc than the actual gamebase same for subscriptions to psplus and xboxlive wich are needed to play online anyway so this is a really unfair comparison lol adding dlc and subscrition services to the equation makes this invalid, becuase manny of those digital sales were done becuase you bougth the game phisicaly too and so on.

so yeah obviosuly digital if it includes subscriptions to psplus and xboxlive will always win specialy this gen where ps4 started charging to play online unlike last gem, it makes a huge damn diference lol.

Last edited by pedro702,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
also i readed this https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...ads-now-represent-more-than-50-of-al-1781562/

*Digital format sales include subscriptions, digital full games, digital add-on content, mobile apps and social network gaming

This makes it a bogus thing lol
It doesn't matter what you or I view as bogus, this is where you're losing your objectivity again. The market views sales as sales, and 74% of all game sales were digital in 2016 (bound to be more in 2017).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

So do you think the market will trend toward or away from physical as a result of these numbers?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It doesn't matter what you or I view as bogus, this is where you're losing your objectivity again. The market views sales as sales, and 74% of all game sales were digital in 2016 (bound to be more in 2017).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

So do you think the market will trend toward or away from physical as a result of these numbers?
like i said if it includes subscriptions and dlc its invalid.

lets say 30% of the people buy their games phisicaly like it says there, then dlc is released they buy it wich makes money for digital, then to play online they are paying subscriptions wich also goes for digital.

if that game was not sold you wouldnt have bought dlc or subscription wich would also decrease digital only sales.

also no company would totaly disch out 30% of billions lol, its like saying why does xbox sells its console on japan and europe when over 80% of their sales are on usa, why bother? because they want those 20% too instead of just letting the competetion get them.

xbox is the perfect awnser for your analoygy, why bother with europe and even less with japan? they make less than 20% of their sales why not just dish them and get america only? becuase 20% is still profit on their pockets even if its less.there is no reason at all to loose profit even if it was a penny, tahts why xbox one was released in japan lol.

Reactions: DrkBeam

GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah because it's still super easy to find physical PC games, right?

True, but at the same time, digital pricing goes down way faster than physical pricing does. Unless a game is like 2-3 years old, Gamestop's used prices are like $45 or $50. Meanwhile, three months after launch or so, you can get that same game from Steam for around $30. Consoles might be more stingy with the sales, but it's still way less of a hassle to get discounts on digital games.

For certain publishers this may be true, but as an avid game collector and someone who also has a collection of 700+ games on Steam, the complete opposite is true most of the time. The only game company that consistently keeps their physical games at top dollar for a long time after release is Nintendo, and you cannot purchase their games on PC anyways. For other big names like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, and others, their physical copies typically drop in price much faster than their digital versions. I was able to purchase both the new South Park and Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4 just a little over a month after release for $15 each, brand new. There was no way you would even hit close to that price on any digital market. Many niche PS4 , Vita, and 3DS physical games get clearanced at a fraction of the cost of their digital counter-parts that rarely go on sale. A good number of physical copies drop in price 2-3 months after release so that stores can clear shelf space for newer games.

On average, I would say that physical sales and clearance occurs far more often than digital sales, especially if you know the ins an outs of retail clearance schedules. It goes both ways of course, but if I have to track down a game at the best price available, I am willing to bet I can find the game at a better price physically in the same time frame for a majority of the time. This is in the U.S. anyways and won't apply everywhere.

Servers for specific games go down, not online store servers. I've never seen a digital game made inaccessible this way.

https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1333/13335885/2935021-0921111363-29302.jpg

That's what you're not getting. They shut down multiplayer game servers, they don't shut down the servers for their online stores. Your account info allows you to re-download a game at any time, but if you buy it physical and lose the disc/cart, it's gone forever.

You're talking about a bunch of issues from the early online days. Sony/MS/Nintendo could each make a universal account at this point, much like Steam, where you can download old and new games alike. There's even incentive to do that if you get to carry over your games from an older system to a new one. Pretty sure MS and Sony already do this to some extent.

Niche online services like DSi are something completely different from modern PSN, XBL, eShop, and Steam.

The only console game company who has a unified approach to gaming is Microsoft, where they are making many previous game purchases from the Xbox / 360 available on the Xbox One. However, this is an extremely slow process and occurs on a game by game basis. Nintendo also does it for certain games where you can repurchase content at a discount from Wii to Wii U, but nothing applies for the Switch yet. As others have already stated, people have lost previous online purchases through closures of the DSi store and soon the Wii store. Another digital service that closed their doors and online purchases were lost is OnLive. While this was a streaming service, it still goes to show that your purchased access to these digital games can disappear without notice if a company unexpected shuts their doors.

While mega companies like Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo won't likely be shutting their doors anytime soon, I would be willing to put money down that some of their current store fronts on older consoles will be closing their doors over the coming years. Sony already shut down their PSP storefront a couple of years ago. Games are still accessible through their online PC store, but for how much longer will that occur? Sony has a history of re-releasing games from one console to the next without any ability to transfer purchased games from one generation of system to the next. I would not be surprised to see Sony shut their PS3 store down in the next several years, especially if they release a PS5 in the future.

In reality, the digital store front for older consoles have their days numbered. There is no way you can tell me that you believe that you will still be able to connect your PS3 onto the internet 20 years from now and still redownload your purchased games. There is just no way Sony, Nintendo, and other companies will host these games forever.

Last edited by GaveUpTomorrow,
Reactions: DrkBeam

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For certain publishers this may be true, but as an avid game collector and someone who also has a collection of 700+ games on Steam, the complete opposite is true most of the time. The only game company that consistently keeps their physical games at top dollar for a long time after release is Nintendo, and you cannot purchase their games on PC anyways. For other big names like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, and others, their physical copies typically drop in price much faster than their digital versions. I was able to purchase both the new South Park and Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4 just a little over a month after release for $15 each, brand new. There was no way you would even hit close to that price on any digital market. Many niche PS4 , Vita, and 3DS physical games get clearanced at a fraction of the cost of their digital counter-parts that rarely go on sale. A good number of physical copies drop in price 2-3 months after release so that stores can clear shelf space for newer games.

On average, I would say that physical sales and clearance occurs far more often than digital sales, especially if you know the ins an outs of retail clearance schedules. It goes both ways of course, but if I have to track down a game at the best price available, I am willing to bet I can find the game at a better price physically in the same time frame for a majority of the time. This is in the U.S. anyways and won't apply everywhere.

The only console game company who has a unified approach to gaming is Microsoft, where they are making many previous game purchases from the Xbox / 360 available on the Xbox One. However, this is an extremely slow process and occurs on a game by game basis. Nintendo also does it for certain games where you can repurchase content at a discount from Wii to Wii U, but nothing applies for the Switch yet. As others have already stated, people have lost previous online purchases through closures of the DSi store and soon the Wii store. Another digital service that closed their doors and online purchases were lost is OnLive. While this was a streaming service, it still goes to show that your purchased access to these digital games can disappear without notice if a company unexpected shuts their doors.

While mega companies like Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo won't likely be shutting their doors anytime soon, I would be willing to put money down that some of their current store fronts on older consoles will be closing their doors over the coming years. Sony already shut down their PSP storefront a couple of years ago. Games are still accessible through their online PC store, but for how much longer will that occur? Sony has a history of re-releasing games from one console to the next without any ability to transfer purchased games from one generation of system to the next. I would not be surprised to see Sony shut their PS3 store down in the next several years, especially if they release a PS5 in the future.

In reality, the digital store front for older consoles have their days numbered. There is no way you can tell me that you believe that you will still be able to connect your PS3 onto the internet 20 years from now and still redownload your purchased games. There is just no way Sony, Nintendo, and other companies will host these games forever.
i even forgot that important reason bakrupcy lol, if usbisoft or ea or any big company goes down bankrupt since nothing last forever, unless a new company buys their licenses steam is not gonna keep their servers for free lol you will loose the ability to redownload them too, wow i missed that important thing too.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think physical console games are going anywhere any time soon.
Physical PC games were kind of never that useful once people got fast enough internet to download games in a matter of hours, since the games still have to be installed to your HDD. Once relatively fast internet became mainstream most people found it more convenient to get the game digitally. Largely thanks to Steam, which made digital game downloads so convenient and hassle-free that there's not much reason not to buy a game digitally. Plus it has other big benefits, like the community and the sales.
Not that the same thing can't happen to console games, but currently online features on consoles aren't at a point where getting a game digitally is more beneficial than getting it physically. Plus, HDD space on consoles is still limited (the largest HDD size you can get with a console is still just 1TB I believe, which isn't a lot when some games can be 50GB or more.

Maybe in 1-2 console generations online functionality on consoles will have gotten good enough to rival Steam, but by that point the Switch will be old news.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Kioku

F34R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah the assumption is that the last couple brick and mortar game store chains close and then Wal-Mart and others just stop having a games section other than hardware.
That's a very broad, and unsubstantiated, assumption to say the least. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Gamestop... needless to say, Amazon.
People already do the majority of their purchasing digitally, which is why physical is dying in the first place. I'm not sure where you get the "decade" figure from...Gamestop is the only brick and mortar store in my area and they mostly sell figurines and collectibles rather than games now.
Physical isn't dying at all.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital is the best way to go, every game publisher will tell you that. the reason for this is that you never have to own anything, just license it which means it can be revoked at any moment for any reason, especially TOS violations of their service.

Good luck revoking it when its installed on a switch running custom firmware

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but at the same time, digital pricing goes down way faster than physical pricing does. Unless a game is like 2-3 years old, Gamestop's used prices are like $45 or $50. Meanwhile, three months after launch or so, you can get that same game from Steam for around $30. Consoles might be more stingy with the sales, but it's still way less of a hassle to get discounts on digital games.

Realistically, though, we're talking about Nintendo here and we both know what their idea of a discount looks like: fucking 20-100 "gold points" (that you technically paid for) for a 30% discount on a 3 year old game or maybe 50% off an ancient VC title. Maybe they'll get with the times. Steam is a killer example of how to run a digital-only system.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch NAND is fully upgradeable— I bet Nintendo is gonna start selling Switch's with 64, 128 GB of NAND. To clarify, the NAND is not soldered to the motherboard like the 3DS & Wii. It's on a separate, small unit that connects to the motherboard via an internal port. I bet third parties might even start selling high-capacity, though expensive, NAND for the switch.
Yeah but all the people that have already brought a switch are stuck with the current internal memory until they buy a new switch. So all the people the current people who have switchs will be screwed over with only a small amount of people having a some what decent internal memory. Also 128 or 256 gigs would not be enough there would have to be 500 gig at min or 1 tb at best.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo wants digital sales yet they stick a 32GB nand chip in the switch so we are forced to buy an sd card witch is stupid to me and costs even more money. Also if they go digital then maybe they should let us only pay once for a game if my switch breaks or i buy a new one all my games are lost. I dont know how many games i have re bought on my nintendo consoles but it is getting old. Basically the games should be tied to our account not the console.

Last edited by worm28,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital titles don't have any resale value if you sell or trade your consoles to Gamestop or a similar store because they factory reset it.
Or you can be smart and sell it on a site like ebay or craigslist and put "comes with x number of games installed" on the title and mark the price up, I sold my o3ds for $316 because of all the digital games I had on it (this was before 3ds hacking became so easily accessible, the average price the 3ds was selling for at that time I sold it was like $120, I had around $200+ worth of digital games on it)

Reactions: m_babble

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo wants digital sales yet they stick a 32GB nand chip in the switch so we are forced to buy an sd card witch is stupid to me and costs even more money. Also if they go digital then maybe they should let us only pay once for a game if my switch breaks or i buy a new one all my games are lost. I dont know how many games i have re bought on my nintendo consoles but it is getting old. Basically the games should be tied to our account not the console.
They opted for 32GB due to cost. The option of MSD coincides with the option of digital. Buy physical if you want or don't.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Realistically, though, we're talking about Nintendo here and we both know what their idea of a discount looks like: fucking 20-100 "gold points" (that you technically paid for) for a 30% discount on a 3 year old game or maybe 50% off an ancient VC title. Maybe they'll get with the times. Steam is a killer example of how to run a digital-only system.
I've already seen sales on the eShop up to 50% off, so maybe they are recognizing they'll have to adapt to some extent.

Reactions: m_babble

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol