Gaming Is the Switch future compatible with a new digital-only infrastructure for Gen 9th consoles?

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't think in the next generation there will be a digital only game console at the start, it might be the future if only a small fraction is selling phisical copies, given the fact at the start of the generation the xbox one was a trainwreack they probably are going to play safe in the next gen selling their console at a loss in order to be stronger than the competition, it will be funny if Nintendo will be the first one if it ever happens, they are the first to shut down their online as well theirs stores, I have notice that in this gen their latest consoles aren't fully backwards compatible by different reasons, and the ps4 is still dominating in sales even though their purchases doesn't translate from ps3 to ps4 by the lack of backwards compatibility, is not a must in the next gen then, I wonder about Nintendo if they are going to phase out the switch after five years in the market in order to compete with the ps5 and xbox two in the home console market, or if they are going to maintain the hybrid approach

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think in the next generation there will be a digital only game console at the start, it might be the future if only a small fraction is selling phisical copies, given the fact at the start of the generation the xbox one was a trainwreack they probably are going to play safe in the next gen selling their console at a loss in order to be stronger than the competition, it will be funny if Nintendo will be the first one if it ever happens, they are the first to shut down their online as well theirs stores, I have notice that in this gen their latest consoles aren't fully backwards compatible by different reasons, and the ps4 is still dominating in sales even though their purchases doesn't translate from ps3 to ps4 by the lack of backwards compatibility, is not a must in the next gen then, I wonder about Nintendo if they are going to phase out the switch after five years in the market in order to compete with the ps5 and xbox two in the home console market, or if they are going to maintain the hybrid approach
Next generation 10th gen right?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital is the best way to go, every game publisher will tell you that. the reason for this is that you never have to own anything, just license it which means it can be revoked at any moment for any reason, especially TOS violations of their service.

Then people will just circumvent the DRM and keep the game to spite their stupid TOS. Screw licensing games out only to have to have them revoke.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already seen sales on the eShop up to 50% off, so maybe they are recognizing they'll have to adapt to some extent.
You can even pop into the switch eshop right now and find 30% discounts on some of good recently released games like ARMS, DOOM, and Mario+ Rabbids, all of which come out cheaper to buy digitally during this sale than to buy them physical

Reactions: m_babble and Xzi

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Next generation 10th gen right?
is the nine gen, right now for me the eight generation consist in ps vita, 3ds, Wii u, ps4/pro xbox one/x and switch probably an unpopular opinion in the last one, but i consider this way because the switch was released when the original ps4 and xbox one was still relevant and theirs mid upgrades were new, I find sad they needed to release a new console after four years just because the Wii u was a commercial failure

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then people will just circumvent the DRM and keep the game to spite their stupid TOS. Screw licensing games out only to have to have them revoke.

I do this. I keep NoSteam cracks for my games that way I can still play them should anything happen to Steam or my account.

However, Doing this on a modern game console can be impossible. Disc games on PS4 and Xbox One help to mitigate this issue but Sony and Microsoft doing digital only consoles would make it near impossible to circumvent DRM in a way that would work thoughout the lifespan of the console.

Last edited by driverdis,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do this. I keep NoSteam cracks for my games that way I can still play them should anything happen to Steam or my account.

However, Doing this on a modern game console can be impossible. Disc games on PS4 and Xbox One help to mitigate this issue but Sony and Microsoft doing digital only consoles would make it near impossible to circumvent DRM in a way that would work thoughout the lifespan of the console.

And that's why digital only is BS.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Because of DRM? Not a valid reason...

What about bandwidth caps? Those are an issue. And the lack of availability to high speed internet in rural areas? What about inconsistent infrastructures in the US? Those are very valid reasons as to why, nothing says "f**k you" more than companies who don't take those demographics into account. You may as well consider those who can't get high speed/broadband for whatever reason as being lesser than those who do. Because by supporting companies who force digital only, you're may as well be telling those who can't get fast internet to f*ck themselves.

Fast internet = good
Unable to get fast internet = digital only is bullshit

Don't pretend that these issues don't exist and aren't valid reasons to be against digital only.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What about bandwidth caps? Those are an issue. And the lack of availability to high speed internet in rural areas? What about inconsistent infrastructures in the US? Those are very valid reasons as to why, nothing says "f**k you" more than companies who don't take those demographics into account. You may as well consider those who can't get high speed/broadband for whatever reason as being lesser than those who do. Because by supporting companies who force digital only, you're may as well be telling those who can't get fast internet to f*ck themselves.

Fast internet = good
Unable to get fast internet = digital only is bullshit

Don't pretend that these issues don't exist and aren't valid reasons to be against digital only.
That's a valid reason to be against it, but it's probably not a good enough reason to turn the tide of it. We just need better broadband coverage and net neutrality reinstated (at least on a state level).

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a valid reason to be against it, but it's probably not a good enough reason to turn the tide of it. We just need better broadband coverage and net neutrality reinstated (at least on a state level).
Companies don't give two shits about those who can't use high speed internet, plain and simple.

Reactions: Xzi

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny seeing that fucking PC games still have physical media, we know Nintendo won't stop producing physical media for a long time as they strand away from Microcuck and Soy. I'm a PC and Nintendo gamer so PS and Xbox going fully digital (despite how stupid that sounds) won't affect me

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. You have to force them to give a fuck through regulation or they never will.
Easier said than done. What I can't stand more is blind sycophancy and white knighting/damage control of said practices.

Here are the issues that would invariably arise:

- Data/bandwidth caps, games are several GBs in size, often reaching 40-50 GB, ISPs aren't too nice when you exceed the cap. Circumventing it will incur higher fines.
- Inconsistent infrastructure, the US has a very shoddy internet infrastructure, many areas still rely either on satellite or dial up. This means said huge games will be near impossible to buy and download*.
- DRM, the bane of all legit users, games could be revoked at a later date, because of bullshit EULA's and TOS's that most people don't care about. Circumventing is the only way to keep them forever.
- Game FTP/download servers going under, there will be a time where you'll no longer be able to get the game later if the company goes under.
- Online always DRM, if your internet sucks, companies may as well be giving you the middle finger.
- If there is no steam-like service to where you can easily re-download the game at a later date, it's a waste of money.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, because getting any sorts of info from ReviewTechUSA who's an uninformed fat slob who constantly shits on anything he doesn't like is definitely a viable source.
He said in one of his videos that the 3ds was dead on arrival and the future of gaming was mobile

Last edited by DrkBeam,

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most games I will buy digital... however some games with big installations (Doom wit 43 GB etc...) are my cartridge games.

Oh and Zelda and Splatoon 2... these were before I bought the big SD,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ALL VIDEO GAMES ARE DIGITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carts, discs, flash memory, are just ways to store digital binary data. Atari games? Digital. NES games? Digital. Physical games? Digital.

you mean all download, not all digital.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back