Hacking Emulation Oldies Is the N64 WAD injection compatibility list unreliable or am I just bad?

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello again, everyone. I'm trying to do some WAD injection to get Mario Party 1 and Pokemon Stadium on my wii. I know that it's hard to get N64 injections to work so I tried using this Wii VC Injections Compatibility List to see which base WAD I should use.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_VC_Injections_Compatibility_List#Nintendo_64

According to this list, the ideal base WAD I should use for both is Bomberman Hero.

1694831320881.png
1694831378018.png

After scratching my head at full injection tutorials that only resulted in the games crashing on loading, I've finally found @CatmanFan 's FriishProduce which automates the process and should dramatically reduce the risk of user error. Sure enough, the injections I made with FriishProduce "worked", but ran with far worse issues then what the compatibility list stated. Here's a quick rundown:

- No Sound. Like, at all. For both games. Heck, I'd be willing to cope with Stadium's broken menus if it wasn't for that.
- Severe character and asset flickering for Mario Party. Not what I'd call "minor graphical issues".
- Broken menu assets for Pokemon Stadium. Broken as in, everything looks like Missingno. The actual pokemon models and animations are actually fine.

For FriishProduce, the only extra option I checked was "Fix brightness".

Any insight from the experts is appreciated.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello again, everyone. I'm trying to do some WAD injection to get Mario Party 1 and Pokemon Stadium on my wii. I know that it's hard to get N64 injections to work so I tried using this Wii VC Injections Compatibility List to see which base WAD I should use.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_VC_Injections_Compatibility_List#Nintendo_64

According to this list, the ideal base WAD I should use for both is Bomberman Hero.

View attachment 394140View attachment 394141

After scratching my head at full injection tutorials that only resulted in the games crashing on loading, I've finally found @CatmanFan 's FriishProduce which automates the process and should dramatically reduce the risk of user error. Sure enough, the injections I made with FriishProduce "worked", but ran with far worse issues then what the compatibility list stated. Here's a quick rundown:

- No Sound. Like, at all. For both games. Heck, I'd be willing to cope with Stadium's broken menus if it wasn't for that.
- Severe character and asset flickering for Mario Party. Not what I'd call "minor graphical issues".
- Broken menu assets for Pokemon Stadium. Broken as in, everything looks like Missingno. The actual pokemon models and animations are actually fine.

For FriishProduce, the only extra option I checked was "Fix brightness".

Any insight from the experts is appreciated.
why inject? use not64/wii64 they run much better lol

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Stadium runs like crap on those, and Mario Party has a problem with the face lift minigame. I'm just trying to have the best version possible.
how is injected better? when they clearly show they have worse problems on the compatibility list lol and they probably run much slower too...

not64 and wii64 have gone a long way i dont even know if the mario party one still has issues it could have been fixed long ago and no one updated the game entry.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
not64 and wii64 have gone a long way i dont even know if the mario party one still has issues it could have been fixed long ago and no one updated the game entry.
All Mario Party games for N64 when emulated in Wii64/Not64 needs FB textures to be enabled for stop screen flashes.

Pokémon Stadium in my experience only works fine on Not64 with FB textures enabled.
WiiVC injection for that game isn't so great.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All Mario Party games for N64 when emulated in Wii64/Not64 needs FB textures to be enabled for stop screen flashes.

Pokémon Stadium in my experience only works fine on Not64 with FB textures enabled.
i wonder mario party games on wii64 rice with setting screenupdate=4 should stop screen flashes but i dont recall if the games had any other issues on rice, and they should run smoother if it was the issue.

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how is injected better? when they clearly show they have worse problems on the compatibility list lol and they probably run much slower too...
Bro, look at the list again. They both have a green entry with Bomberman Hero as a base that says they should only have "minor issues". The bad entries are when using OTHER base wads, which I didn't do. I tried Mario Party with Not64 already and it still has the face lift bug with FB textures turned on that I'm trying to get rid off.

That's what I'm trying to understand. I get Stadium injection doesn't work well, but someone HAS to have made it work with Bomberman Hero if the compatibility list is to be believed.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bro, look at the list again. They both have a green entry with Bomberman Hero as a base that says they should only have "minor issues". The bad entries are when using OTHER base wads, which I didn't do. I tried Mario Party with Not64 already and it still has the face lift bug with FB textures turned on that I'm trying to get rid off.

That's what I'm trying to understand. I get Stadium injection doesn't work well, but someone HAS to have made it work with Bomberman Hero if the compatibility list is to be believed.
what you call minor is not what they called it minor lol, most compatibility lists made by comunities are a joke and are badly done.
Post automatically merged:

clearly even on mario party green entry they say graphical issues which is probably worse than one single mini-game needing framebuffer setting set to on...

also pokemon stadium injected is awful and i never got sound working either just use the emulators. but dont pick chancey, i think chansey crashes the game if i remember correctly.
Post automatically merged:

the only real way to play pokemon stadium 1 and 2 is on wiiu, injected on wiiu virtual console they run great i even have moded versios of them with widescreen and custom movesets on the rentals on my wiiu menu, on wii you are stuck like that sadly.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol