Gaming Is the DSi XL worth it?

2stepsteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The DSi XL is nice, the screen size looks great and the sound is much louder compared to the DSi.

However you lose a chunk of portability with the DSi XL - pretty impossible to fit it inside your jean pockets. This is a massive minus for me and why I haven't purchased one and am firmly sticking with my DSi.

If I were you I would much rather save the money and put it towards a 3DS, the release date is literally only just around the corner now... but having said that you are coming from a Lite! Which really is showing it's age in terms of the improvements of the DSi and DSi XL.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you aren't planning on preordering the 3DS, then I'd say get it. The huge screens are really fantastic. You'll likely miss the 3DS come February so by the time you think you might want it, you might already have saved up enough money again.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2stepsteve said:
The DSi XL is nice, the screen size looks great and the sound is much louder compared to the DSi.

However you lose a chunk of portability with the DSi XL - pretty impossible to fit it inside your jean pockets. This is a massive minus for me and why I haven't purchased one and am firmly sticking with my DSi.

If I were you I would much rather save the money and put it towards a 3DS, the release date is literally only just around the corner now... but having said that you are coming from a Lite! Which really is showing it's age in terms of the improvements of the DSi and DSi XL.

- The XL firts in my jeans pocket... and I'm not one of those kids who wear the big baggy jeans around my ankles either... could be that I just have larger than normal pockets.. but eh. But they're not that big.

- He doesn't have a problem with money he said, so he could easily get the XL AND the 3DS.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am sorry but i would say no, if you already have a lite.
i myself have a ds lite and bigger screens is not really worth getting another one, the speakers, i never use them, get yourself a pair of good earphones and you wont feel any difference, and the camera is just to gimicky, and as the moment there is no flash cart that supports dsi features, unless you are planning on buying the games i dont think its really worth it, not with the 3ds coming out.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
ForteGospel said:
i myself have a ds lite and bigger screens is not really worth getting another one, the speakers, i never use them, get yourself a pair of good earphones and you wont feel any difference, and the camera is just to gimicky, and as the moment there is no flash cart that supports dsi features, unless you are planning on buying the games i dont think its really worth it, not with the 3ds coming out.

the bigger screens make ALL the difference in the world. the cyclods ievo can use dsi mode.

-another world

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ForteGospel said:

First try and then maybe change your mind

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well I don't see the 3ds any good, it will just pain your eyes (3d image causes my eyes to hurt). And there are no 3d games out yet (and i doubt they will come anytime soon). Go ahead and buy the DSIXL, i see it as a good offer

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
jarejare3 said:
Well I don't see the 3ds any good, it will just pain your eyes (3d image causes my eyes to hurt). And there are no 3d games out yet (and i doubt they will come anytime soon). Go ahead and buy the DSIXL, i see it as a good offer

ah, but you see, you can just turn the 3D off and play in 2D without problems. The games are going to be designed so that you can still play and succeed when it is only 2D. The widescreen alone will make games even better. But i still say you should get an XL. DS games are still just as good as the 3DS games will be, just not in 3D.
biggrin.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
danweb said:
jarejare3 said:

ah, but you see, you can just turn the 3D off and play in 2D without problems. The games are going to be designed so that you can still play and succeed when it is only 2D. The widescreen alone will make games even better. But i still say you should get an XL. DS games are still just as good as the 3DS games will be, just not in 3D.
biggrin.gif

I would love it if the 3DS had wider screens. After playing with the XL, it's going to be hard for me to go to a smaller console [3DS].

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
danweb said:
jarejare3 said:

biggrin.gif

More the reason to buy the DSIXl since you won't be needing 3d anyway.

Posts merged

danweb said:
QUOTE(jarejare3 @ Dec 13 2010, 10:25 PM)

biggrin.gif
More the reason to buy the DSIXl since you won't be needing 3d anyway.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:
I would love it if the 3DS had wider screens. After playing with the XL, it's going to be hard for me to go to a smaller console [3DS].

I agree! Those big XL screens spoiled me. When I first booted my new XL, looking at the system menu, I thought it was kind of fuzzy, probably due to bigger pixels, but then I booted a game, and wow, what a difference! Everything is super sharp. I almost don't want to play my DS Lite anymore, now.
sad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!