Hacking Is it safe to update my wii?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have homebrew channel and have installed Cios rev10 to run USB HD loaders. I'm on 3.3u, I just want to safely update my wii to the latest firmware without losing anything.

I got some virtual console and wiiware games that tell me to install some IOS.wad, I'm not sure it is safe. I have never updated my wii since I installed the homebrew channel.

1. How do I safely update my wii?
2. What is the latest stable version of Cios?

I also think it might be smart for me to install the programs in case I get bricked. So how do I install bootmii and preloader?

Thanks!

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
just do a official update, but if u wanna use warez wiiware/VC you need to install the patched IOS60

you'll find that if you search for IOS60BF

and the latest cios is rev13b, rev14 is due in a few days apparently, most people r sticking with rev10 since the newer ones have issues that are apparently being fixed.

get bootmii from my signature.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
first get BootMii installed (use HackMii installer) and perform a backup of your NAND, then use Waninkoko's 4.0 updater or something like that is called, patch the IOSes 60-61 (don't know the name of the app really I'm on the best FW ever 3.2)and then you install Preloader with its installer, the cIOS you have already is one of the best stable revisions so far...!!
smile.gif

Useful Link

Hkari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Waninkoko's 4.0 updater to update to 4.0. Patch IOS 60 (and maybe IOS 61, don't remember if you HAVE to patch that one though) and it should leave all your IOSs fakebug signed.

The lastest cIOS is rev13b. Some people like a previous revs though because rev13 (sometimes called rev13a) and rev13b have some problems, such as returning to the home menu from a game and not being able to load a second game (in most games you can just press "reset" on the home menu and it will take you back to the Wii menu without any problems later).

Before you begin updating though, I would recommend installing BootMii and making a NAND backup. After you update, you can install Preloader if you also want that. Just keep in mind that Preloader installs itself as the system menu, so if you update again, you will have to install Preloader again.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help.

I watched a Bootmii tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kWT2uOfMk

Hopefully everything is right. I plan to put bootmii on an alternate 2GB MicroSD card with SD Adapter.

I'm going to try to install all the wiiware and get used to the freethewads program. I don't think I'll need anything else besides bootmii correct?

Thanks for all the help, I plan to follow the Online Downgrade/Upgrade of the useful link ether2802 provided. I don't really think preloader is necessary though is it?

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are just trying to play those VC & WiiWare games you most likely just need IOSes 53, 55 (and maybe 56 while you're at it for the future). Just use NUS downloader and select pack as WAD. The ninstall with Wad manager. You may need to install these IOSes as wellif you upgrade to 4.0.

And if you don't have Bootmii as boot2 and can install it...DO IT. Just make sure you then make a backup and store it somewhere safe.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan to make a Bootmii backup before I do anything to be safe.

On the guide it says this in steps:
"5) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii

6) Install cIOS36 rev10 to IOS249 using Network install mode"

I already have cIOS rev10 installed, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with it already installed?

Also, if I setup a wifi connection, doesn't the wii force me to update?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that, I think after I get this question answered I will be ready to do this:

On the guide it says this in steps:
"5) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii

6) Install cIOS36 rev10 to IOS249 using Network install mode"

I already have cIOS rev10 installed, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with it already installed?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question was answered in another thread:
"QUOTE(LufianGuy @ Jul 11 2009, 12:59 PM) *
I already have cIOS rev10 installed on 3.3u with HBC, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with Cios rev10 already installed?

Nope"

I also have another fear now. I got some new wads and went over to my friends house. He updated to 4.0u and it seems I couldn't get any wad installers to install games that installed to my 3.2u wii perfectly. It seems that a lot of people on 4.0 have problems getting wads installed. Will this problem happen if I follow the Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide?

I'll probably just find out the answer on my own, once I have Bootmii installed and made a NAND backup, I won't worry about problems because I restore my wii if need be.

kingofsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LufianGuy said:
My question was answered in another thread:
"QUOTE(LufianGuy @ Jul 11 2009, 12:59 PM) *
I already have cIOS rev10 installed on 3.3u with HBC, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with Cios rev10 already installed?

Nope"

I also have another fear now. I got some new wads and went over to my friends house. He updated to 4.0u and it seems I couldn't get any wad installers to install games that installed to my 3.2u wii perfectly. It seems that a lot of people on 4.0 have problems getting wads installed. Will this problem happen if I follow the Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide?

I'll probably just find out the answer on my own, once I have Bootmii installed and made a NAND backup, I won't worry about problems because I restore my wii if need be.

Get the latest WadManager think it's 1.4, should solve that problem.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You will be fine and still be able to install wad's as long as you have a cIOS installed before you update (which you seem to as you have rev10 installed though you may want to make sure and just run it again and make sure there's no error or anything in the end, or just open up wad manager 1.4 and check if it has IOS249 as an option for an IOS to use. If it does, you're fine.)

The reason your friend can't install wad's is he must not have any cIOS on his Wii or any IOS's with the trucha bug intact. So he would have to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15, install IOS36 and restore IOS15 and then use IOS36 to install cIOS rev13a or something. Being on 3.2 I believe you already have IOS's with the trucha bug to begin with so as long as you update with waninkoko's updater you would still keep the trucha bug, though it doesn't really matter all that much as long as you have a cIOS revision installed.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help!

Plan to install bootmii and follow the guide later today!

DAM IT, I HAVE TO INSTALL BOOTMII AS AN IOS! >.< (this only works with the last/final edition of the homebrew channel, update it using hackmii install)

I had 6 bad blocks that turned green when it was verifying my successful NAND backup.

All the other steps went good, time to test it out and see how everything works.

Is it ok to set preloader to autoboot, then if the wii bricks, holding the reset button on startup will take me to preloader still right?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got some Questions and Problems:

1. Is it ok to set preloader to autoboot. If the wii bricks, holding the reset button on startup will still take me to preloader right?

2. What does error ret -1022 mean when trying to install wads?

3. If I go to Wii>Data Management>Save Data>Wii>SD Card MY WII FREEZES unless there is no SD card inserted. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Thanks!

armageddan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. yes, it just loads up after bootmii does.
2. what alex said.
3. it does that even when you don't have bannerbomb on it sometimes (at least for me). it's just safer and easier to put it in AFTER you go to the sd channel through the system menu or wii memory.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

I used ios downgrader before I updated to 4.0 using Waninkokos 4.0 updater. So I should use it again?

I never used bannerbomb anything. I tried to insert my SD card after going into the SD Card Save Data Menu, but it just froze the system.

I think I might have to reinstall system menu 4.0 because I can't live with this, how would I do that?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOS downgrader is never NECESSARY to get something to work. If anything you just need the trucha bug back in one IOS. What wad manager are you using? If you aren't using wad manager 1.4 you should be and if that doesn't let you install whatever wad you're trying to install using IOS249 then you didn't properly install cIOS and still need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15, install IOS36 with the trucha bug, and restore IOS15, and then run cIOS rev13a installer using IOS36 to install it. Then you should be able to install wads using IOS249.

If that isn't the problem then you probably didn't put the files in the right spot on your sd card. After you get rid of bannerbomb (the only thing in the private folder unless you put other vc games/game saves on the card.) then you should have a WAD folder on the root of your card with any .wad files you want to install and then wad manager 1.4 in your apps folder as usual.

Edit: Didn't see your post, no you most likely don't need to reinstall 4.0 and even if you didn't USE bannerbomb if you put the files from that guide on your sd card, you have it on your sd card. Get rid of all of the files you put on your sd card from that package except the bootmii folder. If you really did successfully do the things in the guide then you should have the trucha bug intact on top of having cIOS installed. Make sure you put your wad's in the right place as I said above and get rid of the apps and everything you put on your card from the guide espescially the private folder to get rid of bannerbomb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival