Hacking Is it safe to format RedNAND with CBHC?

Sayora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I want to know if it is safe to create a RedNAND and format it on the Wii U without messing up CBHC, as long as I am positively sure I am on the RedNAND, and doesn't CBHC prevent you from normally doing so anyway? I ask mainly so I can have an a safe way to test out risky mods in online games in Splatoon or Mario Kart 8 that instantly ban you if you hit the wrong button, and I don't someone coming along and accidentally banning me. And should this guide work for a RedNAND? (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-unban-a-wii-u-102-2814-complete-guide.477484/) Formatting it will get rid of all the Network IDs so I can not risk my account getting banned. And will a hard drive plugged in that stores games on my SysNAND be recognized on my RedNAND (I would assume the games wouldn't work if the Network ID is gone.

Also what do all these Mocha settings mean?
  • Config view mode
  • Skip the menu on launch
  • Show launch image
  • Don't relaunch OS
  • Launch System Menu
  • redNAND
  • SEEPROM redirection
  • OTP redirection
  • Use syshax.xml (coldboothax)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cbhc doesn't require the sd card. redNAND makes an exact copy of the sysNAND as it currently is, but for every game installed afterwards, it must be installed separately due to tickets.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe to format the sd card, you'll have to go into disk management in windows. simply formatting it won't remove redNAND. you have to make an entirely new partition as redNAND will show up as unallocated memory in disk management.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CBHC (and Haxchi's) builtin CFW doesn't support emunand, so you may want to check what you're using to actually run the emunand to ensure it's also using a copy on SD of the eeprom (something which the early fw.img CFWs didn't support, is optional in Mocha, etc)

It's just a precaution, the eeprom doesn't actually appear to have an identifier that changes on a factory reset (according to https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Hardware/SEEPROM ), but seeing how there are still undocumented values...

If you don't want to gamble, you could always "uninstall" CBHC (disable, leaving it manually runnable via the icon on the launcher), do the deed, and reinstall it afterwards...

Sayora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean format the SD card the RedNAND is on I mean is it safe to format the RedNAND from the Wii U System Settings.

Sayora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok thank you for your help! I will uninstall CBHC and reinstall, I've kind of been wanting to change the icon anyway. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably a good idea (uninstalling cbhc first). if the icon is messed up or corrupted during the transfer, the game won't boot. I think it shows a question mark over the game.

Sayora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems as though the redNAND has bricked itself after formatting it? Is this a limitation of redNAND or did I do something wrong? It made it through initial setup but it gets stuck with the Mocha splash on the gamepad. I might try making a new one. Will changing the serial ID and deleting all users work the same as formatting for keeping sysNAND unbanned purposes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1