Hacking Is it impossible to play backup Gamecube games on a black wii?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 17,889
  • Replies 26
D

Deleted User

OP
Just wondering if at this point in time if there are any kind of hacks that allow such things without physically opening the system?

I've tried burning both the Original .GCN and .ISO versions of the game to a disc but from my understanding the new Wii bundles will not allow for backup discs, am I correct or misinformed?

zero80472

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.scotscraftmc.com
XP
Country
if your wii is softmodded go look for CMIOS and neogemma then you can play GC games
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
zero80472 said:
if your wii is softmodded go look for CMIOS and neogemma then you can play GC games
tongue.gif
Do I load it via my External hdd or is it disc only?

From my understanding, your usb devices get locked up during GC mode.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, newer wiis are installed with a different disc drive (and possibly slightly modificated, yes I made that word up, motherboard) to prevent loading back-ups. As far as this is concerned, it's a hardware modification and in order to reverse the effects of these new components, you would have to modify it hardwarely wise which is a contradiction if you don't want to open up the wii and still want to play back ups on newer wiis.

D

Deleted User

OP
Zetta_x said:
To my knowledge, newer wiis are installed with a different disc drive (and possibly slightly modificated, yes I made that word up, motherboard) to prevent loading back-ups. As far as this is concerned, it's a hardware modification and in order to reverse the effects of these new components, you would have to modify it hardwarely wise which is a contradiction if you don't want to open up the wii and still want to play back ups on newer wiis.
See, thats what I thought, And I really didn't want to emulate them on my PC.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
SD-Boot and USB-Boot from emu_kidid might work. You need to boot them as gamecube homebrew and not from HBC.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
did emu_kidd ever finish updating those apps? Last I heard he improved on it A LOT but didn't release his updates yet. He also said he would change the name of the app when he did release it... so since u are still referring to it by the old name, i'm assuming he still hasn't released his updates.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No updates, and yes the next version will have a new name and all loading methods joined. The last he did was asking for incompatible games for the latest sd-boot in his forum.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
SD-Boot and USB-Boot from emu_kidid might work. You need to boot them as gamecube homebrew and not from HBC.

I was hoping for some clarification on this, this method may work because in order to run a gamecube iso, the wii must first revert to gamecube mode. The reason why most attempts fail at loading gamecube iso's is because not only gamecube mode is limited to certain hardware but also loading into gamecube mode clears the memory of wii software. Because of the memory being cleared, IOS modules used to try and loading the ISO would be cleared too. The reason this may work is because if you can get a loader to run in already a gamecube state (or emulated gamecube state perhaps), it would eliminate the problem of running into trouble with the memory being cleared. However, back to the limited hardware available (memory card slots and controller ports) things like SD boot are available to get the job done. Also based on the performance of the memory card slots (it's not par with usb that's for sure), even this is limited.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IOS simply can't run in gamecube mode, there's no code running on the arm when gamecube games are running. And the memory isn't cleared, which made it possible to read the common key the 1st time.

SD-Boot and USB-Boot should work, because they don't need the drive to be able to read DVD-Rs, and so they work the same way on old and newer Wiis.

silva79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
SD-Boot and USB-Boot should work, because they don't need the drive to be able to read DVD-Rs, and so they work the same way on old and newer Wiis.

To get GC games running from USB do you need to already have the .iso's or can you backup the game to a flashdrive/harddrive using something like usbloader?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
IOS simply can't run in gamecube mode, there's no code running on the arm when gamecube games are running. And the memory isn't cleared, which made it possible to read the common key the 1st time.

That makes much more sense. Thank you for the clarification. Any previous information I knew about the subject was from speculation of random threads over the last several months or so. Now I feel a lot more solid onto why it is impossibly difficult to load gamecube iso's.

silva79 said:
QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jun 2 2010, 12:56 PM) SD-Boot and USB-Boot should work, because they don't need the drive to be able to read DVD-Rs, and so they work the same way on old and newer Wiis.

To get GC games running from USB do you need to already have the .iso's or can you backup the game to a flashdrive/harddrive using something like usbloader?

By the sounds of it, gamecube games have a different structure then wii games. Wii games can be loaded by a specified IOS while gamecube must be loaded by a MIOS or gamecube specific software/hardware (otherwise as gamecube mode). Trying to load a gamecube ISO with a usb loader will attempt to load the iso using wii IOS's which of course won't work in gamecube mode as mentioned above posts.

D

Deleted User

OP
Ugothacked said:
NO​

Thanks for your help, with it I gained knowledge of a thousand stars.

After this here post I feel like I can start working on that rocket surgery I was almost meant to do.

Ugothacked

Trophies
Website
UgotHacked.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
brandonspikes said:
Ugothacked said:
NO​

After this here post I feel like I can start working on that rocket surgery I was almost meant to do.

The truth hurts.

Well, I am sorry to say that the black wii has that D2-3 drive, some new wiis (white) have that to, i had one a while ago, it can not play any type of DVD, it doesnt matter if you use gamma or neo gamma, it will still not work, even if its GC, and there is no GC USB loader, You can do anything on the black wii, but not play DVDs of any type...

D

Deleted User

OP
Ugothacked said:
Juanmatron said:
brandonspikes said:
Ugothacked said:
NO​

The truth hurts.

Well, I am sorry to say that the black wii has that D2-3 drive, some new wiis (white) have that to, i had one a while ago, it can not play any type of DVD, it doesnt matter if you use gamma or neo gamma, it will still not work, even if its GC, and there is no GC USB loader, You can do anything on the black wii, but not play DVDs of any type...
Thats all I needed to hear, I even assumed it was because of the drive hence why I asked if it was possible another way via a software.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to buy hardware to get GC working.

The only way is with a WODE, but then at least you get the games on a HDD. You would need to open the Wii however so you might not want to do this, but it is very simple to install a WODE and doesn't require any soldering, just unplugging and plugging some wires into a circuit board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...