Gaming Is it actually a good idea to trim ROMs?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I am not asking on the best trimmer. I use NDSTokyoTrim for trimming and I just remembered reading way back then that WiFi games should not be trimmed as it will hinder performance. Is that true? Or can I safely trim any game I want?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sephi said:
The problem with bad trimmers used to be that they would delete some of the wifi code. If you use an up to date trimmer you're fine.
Wow that was very quick! So I am fine with trimming games like Pokemon Platinum? Even the latest ones with WiFi (Sonic and SEGA All Star Racing)?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sephi said:
Just don't use any old random trimmer or the r4 trimmer and it's fine. Also, TinyTrimmer is great. A bit faster than NDSTokyoTrim, and made by arctic_flame. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=95643
Alright...thanks for that. Tiny software is always good in my books
happy.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
mewtwo-EX said:
Flash is so cheap now-a-days, unless you have an old cart with built-in memory, why do you need to trim your ROMs? From my experience you only save a few Megs...am I mistaken on this?

Depends on the game, some games can be trimmed by more than 50MB.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mewtwo-EX said:
Flash is so cheap now-a-days, unless you have an old cart with built-in memory, why do you need to trim your ROMs? From my experience you only save a few Megs...am I mistaken on this?
Some games (such as Chrono Trigger) saved a dramatic amount - around 60 megs. Still, if you trim 6 games and save 20 megs, that's enough for another small game.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ZeWarrior said:
And the new Warioware, it trims it from 128MB to just 16.5!
Just checked and this is accurate. Now, would anyone care to explain why this is so?
I thought trimming removed the empty packed space of a rom, for eg. if the game data was over 65,536 KB, then it would need to to go to next size rom of 131,072 KB. Therefore, any trimming would only reduce it to something over 65,536 KB. But this game's rom has been packed with approx 115,000 KB of empty space....correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvA_fNxRcw0 +1