Is anyone being Earthbound/Mother fanatic?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So Mother, regardless of U.S. name, started to get a release, but got the red flag because the SNES game was being released? I'm all confused here, I would love to know the history of this great series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_(video_game)
Last paragraph of the intro has a basic summary. For more details you might need to check some ROM/translation sites.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried Earthbound long ago, but never got farther than the Apples/Oranges people, town, thing, with the long tunnel. I couldn't figure out what to do, but also, I didn't really care enough to keep going on. I'm wanting to try the entire series again, as I really love the Dragon Quest games--so the gameplay isn't at fault--and I've heard the stories are quirky and fun. I dunno.

But this patch would definitely be one of the first things I do if I ever do go back to the game.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1111/

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind you, I'm asking since it's been over a decade since I've touched a lot of snes era RPGs to remember which controls belongs to what, 7th Saga screwed me up pretty bad.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wasn't R or something quick access/talk?
The L button is the quick button that can access or talk.
I tried Earthbound long ago, but never got farther than the Apples/Oranges people, town, thing, with the long tunnel. I couldn't figure out what to do, but also, I didn't really care enough to keep going on. I'm wanting to try the entire series again, as I really love the Dragon Quest games--so the gameplay isn't at fault--and I've heard the stories are quirky and fun. I dunno.

But this patch would definitely be one of the first things I do if I ever do go back to the game.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1111/
You just needed to give the apple kid 200$ and then the orange kid 200$, then you would move to the next city and come back.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've played all three and here are my opinions:

Mother/Earthbound Zero: Kind of cryptic, but holy heck is the story moving. I loved the bit where the main characters go into a dream world (Magicant) and gain crazy powers. The enemies here are unusual - like the Groucho Marx inspired glasses. The story has parts where I actually cried at them - and the game is brutal, when you lose a team member in the story, you lose them for good. Also...I love the Japanese commercial for this - it uses the musical motif and actually still makes me tear up. Note: I played through the fan translation of Mother 1+2 for the GBA.

Mother 2/Earthbound: The music still sticks with me to this day. (Porky Means Business and the several dungeon tunes still make me wanna rock out.) The battle system was great - allowing you to choose to fight what might be random encounters while still not making it a sure bet. The idea of being overleveled in comparison to the enemies you face and then immediately giving you the experience makes it less tedious when walking through dungeons. Why the heck doesn't anyone use this system more often? Too often we have to slog through random encounters that take one or two blows to kill off. The enemies were unique and referenced the real world...and was pretty nifty at the time. And...holy heck, the final boss is what nightmares are made of. (I ended up almost yanking my SNES off the shelf when I played through on a rental cartridge.)

Mother/Earthbound 3: The storyline is pretty nifty. (The Mother series loves to play around with the notion of family and friendship very much.) It starts off with a prototypical story of "being the hero" and then twists it into a darker storyline about loss and change. The only really memorable characters are Tess (dancing Tess!), and the crippled thief character. I hated the battling system with a stupid passion - it used the background tune and timing in order to get more damage - otherwise, it was mostly chip damage. (I didn't finish it because of the damn battle system.) I like that you can play with other characters in the storyline, and the objectives and play styles change dramatically.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've played all three and here are my opinions:

Mother/Earthbound Zero: Kind of cryptic, but holy heck is the story moving. I loved the bit where the main characters go into a dream world (Magicant) and gain crazy powers. The enemies here are unusual - like the Groucho Marx inspired glasses. The story has parts where I actually cried at them - and the game is brutal, when you lose a team member in the story, you lose them for good. Also...I love the Japanese commercial for this - it uses the musical motif and actually still makes me tear up. Note: I played through the fan translation of Mother 1+2 for the GBA.

Mother 2/Earthbound: The music still sticks with me to this day. (Porky Means Business and the several dungeon tunes still make me wanna rock out.) The battle system was great - allowing you to choose to fight what might be random encounters while still not making it a sure bet. The idea of being overleveled in comparison to the enemies you face and then immediately giving you the experience makes it less tedious when walking through dungeons. Why the heck doesn't anyone use this system more often? Too often we have to slog through random encounters that take one or two blows to kill off. The enemies were unique and referenced the real world...and was pretty nifty at the time. And...holy heck, the final boss is what nightmares are made of. (I ended up almost yanking my SNES off the shelf when I played through on a rental cartridge.)

Mother/Earthbound 3: The storyline is pretty nifty. (The Mother series loves to play around with the notion of family and friendship very much.) It starts off with a prototypical story of "being the hero" and then twists it into a darker storyline about loss and change. The only really memorable characters are Tess (dancing Tess!), and the crippled thief character. I hated the battling system with a stupid passion - it used the background tune and timing in order to get more damage - otherwise, it was mostly chip damage. (I didn't finish it because of the damn battle system.) I like that you can play with other characters in the storyline, and the objectives and play styles change dramatically.

I love doing combo battles on Mother 3, the background tune and timing are for the ones that really have it, you can play normally as you did in EarthBound or, if your timing is right, you could increase the damage of your attack by pressing A at the right music rhythm, pretty clever idea, I never saw that in any other game.

If you DO finish it, you are in for a surprise :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1