Is anyone being Earthbound/Mother fanatic?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Yepi69, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Yepi69
    OP

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    This month i've been playing a lot of EarthBound and Mother 3, I just can't get enough :gba:
    What about you guys :)?

2. BAHIM Z 360

BAHIM Z 360 B-but I'm not a new member :(

Nov 9, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Teh Amala Labyrinth
    I am!!!
    Although I only played Mother 1 on the GBA but it was such a beautiful and amazing game :wub: (Just how on earth did they actually jam that big map on a NES cartridge back then!?)

Dunno when I'm gonna play Mother 2 and 3 though as I have tons of games to play now :wacko:

3. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Earthbound is one of those games I play once a year, along with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana (and the one that comes after.) I love them so.

4. potato3334

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    I haven't played Mother 1 yet, but Earthbound and Mother 3 were absolutely incredible, Earthbound might even be my favorite JRPG.

5. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    So does it go Mother 1, Mother 2, Mother 3 in Japan & Earthbound Zero, Earthbound, & Earthbound 2 in the US? Confused about this

6. DaggerV

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Technically Just Mother, Earthbound, and Mother 3. Earthbound:zero is more or less the name given to the translation. Both Mother and Mother 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) never saw a release outside of japan, so those are fan based translations.

7. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Earthbound zero was originally called earthbound, after the snes earthbound was released. It was the prototype English release on an actual cartridge. Zero was added to differentiate the two. Mother 3 is specifically Japan only. English translations exist for all 3 games, and they're all phenomenal.

I've been playing Mother 1 GBA with the English translation. Displaying it on my TV and playing with a wireless 360 controller, and I'm having a blast.

431unknown likes this.
  8. AngryGeek416

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    If the games were ever released in north america what do you suppose they would call them? the 1st&3rd i mean

9. deshayzilla

deshayzilla GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    Yupp big fan. Beat earthbound and mother 3 last year. Currently playing through Mother 1, it's fun but it no Earthbound or Mother 3 for that matter. I'm really hoping they get released soon in NA.

10. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Mother 1 was supposed to be released in the US as EarthBound Zero, it even got an official translation and everything, however due to marketing reasons and the fact the SNES was going to be shown to the world, they canceled it.

11. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I'm a huge mother fan but seriously, EarthBound Zero is cool but I just hate the random battles every 5 seconds, it annoys me so much.

12. DaggerV

Dec 3, 2009
    United States

Thanks for the intel, I looked before but wasn't a lot of info out there at the time.

13. AngryGeek416

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    Its definitely the weakest of the 3 but its also the oldest, time improves things. Thats why you should start with Zero so you dont get disappointed.

14. deshayzilla

deshayzilla GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    Yeah it's worse than pokemon when it comes to random battles. People would have hated it when if nintendo had released it.

15. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Probably not because NES rpg games were based on random battles every 5 seconds.

16. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    No Zero :P It was added by the Demiforce guys who fixed the AP. The original title was going to be "EARTH BOUND" with a space in it ;)

17. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    DAKOTA! I read somewhere that they removed the EarthBound Zero name from the rom's binary data.

18. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    No no no. The original, unmodified ROM is still around, check for that yourself :P

19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    It wasn't until after Earthbound (M2) was released that people found the Mother ROM was an official translation, which is why they added the 0 to it (since it's working title was Earth Bound) when removing the AP and fixing the crash bugs (not sure which crashes are bugs and which are AP right now).

20. DaggerV

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    So Mother, regardless of U.S. name, started to get a release, but got the red flag because the SNES game was being released? I'm all confused here, I would love to know the history of this great series.