Homebrew Is any real programming knowledge needed to compile a .dol ?

Zrecer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've seen that the GX emulators have several updates that are not official release builds but just source code. I want to use the new releases. Do I need to know anything about homebrew developing to compile a .dol or is it as simple as following a few steps? Thanks for your time.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically just need to setup the proper environment. (Install the sdk used for compilation.) most homebrew for the cube used the public ask not Nintendo's. I do believe devkitpro is sufficient for most if not all cube related software. I may be wrong though. Either way there are tons of references to the topic on the dev wiki. I'd check that. Don't need to know how to write code but that page should tell you how to setup a proper DEV environment for compiling soft for the cube.

Last edited by mikey420,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to compile? No, not really. You just need to install devkitPro and make sure you have the appropriate extra libraries. If you have a specific project in mind it might not hurt to post that.

Zrecer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to compile? No, not really. You just need to install devkitPro and make sure you have the appropriate extra libraries. If you have a specific project in mind it might not hurt to post that.

I just want to compile the latest vba gx, snes9x gx and, fceu gx. I have installed dev kit pro. Do go on about the appropriate libraries.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to compile the latest vba gx, snes9x gx and, fceu gx. I have installed dev kit pro. Do go on about the appropriate libraries.

They're on SourceForge here. This WiiBrew article explains them and where to put the files: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DevkitPPC

You're probably going to need the FreeType and jpg/png libraries if those emulators have UIs.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Zrecer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're on SourceForge here. This WiiBrew article explains them and where to put the files: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DevkitPPC

You're probably going to need the FreeType and jpg/png libraries if those emulators have UIs.

Having some trouble.

I installed devkitpro

I've placed the ported library files under c:/devkitpro/portlibs/ppc

I open up programmers notepad. File>open>makefile.wii
(For vbagx)

Tools>make. And here is my output

> "make"
"make" -f Makefile.wii
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/vbagx'
filebrowser.cpp
In file included from c:/vbagx/source/vbagx.h:16:0,
from c:/vbagx/source/filebrowser.cpp:23:
c:/vbagx/source/utils/FreeTypeGX.h:27:22: fatal error: ft2build.h: No such file or directory
#include <ft2build.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [filebrowser.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build_wii] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/vbagx'
"make": *** [wii] Error 2

> Process Exit Code: 2
> Time Taken: 00:03

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you put the libraries in the folder properly.

\devkitPro\portlibs\ppc should contain the lib and include folders in it.

../portlibs/ppc
Screenshot (9).png

../portlibs/include
Screenshot (10).png

../portlibs/lib
Screenshot (11).png

It generated a bunch of warnings for unused variables and some numeric narrowing warnings but compiled fine when I just tested it with the portlibs shown in the spoiler.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Zrecer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you put the libraries in the folder properly.

Wow. I feel like an idiot. I didn't realize I needed to decompress those .bz2 files. Alright. I seem to have made it a lot further. But I am missing the WUPC folder. and I believe it is casuing this error? I downloaded and unzipped all 7 of those libraries. Did I miss something else?

> "make"
"make" -f Makefile.wii
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/vbagx'
input.cpp
c:/vbagx/source/input.cpp:19:23: fatal error: wupc/wupc.h: No such file or directory
#include <wupc/wupc.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [input.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build_wii] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/vbagx'
"make": *** [wii] Error 2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-