Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
So did you guys manage to find the replacement square rubber screw covers? i saw one online but it will be around $20 for 4pcs and i have to wait 3-4weeks for it to arrive.

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the 20th anniversary Pokemon edition of the small N3DS is dual IPS.
You got one with dual ips? Confirmed with more than one or are they another random thing?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So did you guys manage to find the replacement square rubber screw covers? i saw one online but it will be around $20 for 4pcs and i have to wait 3-4weeks for it to arrive.
image.png

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
@copyiipc that is actually what i was pertaining to, i was hoping that maybe there are other sellers out there. shipping rate is too high (for a standard mail, if it's DHL or FedEx it's justifiable) with that seller

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I had to create a dual ips and now they are selling them. Oh well I would still like to compare the XL ips to the regular 3ds ips screens.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I had to create a dual ips and now they are selling them. Oh well I would still like to compare the XL ips to the regular 3ds ips screens.
Sure thing. I'll post pictures after work and class. I actually switched the screens to a black New 3DS.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6069f7d323.jpg

Hard to see since I have 3 3DS' on. The one on the left is my MM 3DS, top is FE (both TN Panels unfortunately) and black regular N3DS.

I swapped the screens from my 20th anniversary N3DS to my black one. I lucked out with my MM N3DS when it first came out. I guess karma struck when the FE edition came out. Maybe I should just ask a replacement from Nintendo. It still has the warranty. I'd go to GameStop to replace it, but it's practically nonexistent... my 20th Pokemon Anniversary is still disassembled. I broke the ribbon cable to my left trigger on accident. Anyone know where to get a replacement? Looked on eBay already.
@copyiipc

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. That's what I was talking about.

33698a0092.jpg
Thats incredible and I'm especially jealous that its a standard New 3DS in black, something the US has yet to receive. I don't want to have to import a black 3DS system then mobo swap with a white one just so I can get my color preference that I want.

How expensive would it be to get an IPS transplant for a 3DS system, assuming parts are not becoming scarce and I hold out long enough for a black 3DS to release here.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that MM3DS XL have dual IPS?
Yes. I thought it was a common thing, my first time looking into this IPS thing when I bought my FE N3DS. I was wondering why the colors weren't as vibrant. I don't want to void the warranty on my FE though.

@RemixDeluxe Considering the only way to get an IPS screen is through the 20th anniversary Pokemon N3DS, I'd say beyond expensive. I technically got them both for 50$ considering I traded in a bunch of games during the 50% extra trade boost through GameStop. I got almost 900$ in amazon gift cards that I bought computer parts with and 200$ remaining in in-store credit.

D

Deleted User

Fuck, this makes me wanna buy an n3DS just so I can shove some IPS screens in it so I can get soopur vivid colour
Or even better, find one that already has IPS screens.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I thought it was a common thing, my first time looking into this IPS thing when I bought my FE N3DS. I was wondering why the colors weren't as vibrant. I don't want to void the warranty on my FE though.

@RemixDeluxe Considering the only way to get an IPS screen is through the 20th anniversary Pokemon N3DS, I'd say beyond expensive. I technically got them both for 50$ considering I traded in a bunch of games during the 50% extra trade boost through GameStop. I got almost 900$ in amazon gift cards that I bought computer parts with and 200$ remaining in in-store credit.
Are you saying I should just suck it up and get that Pokemon 3DS? Who's to say IPS isn't a standard at this point for new 3DS systems from here on out. I thought there was IPS to begin with because of a shortage of the regular TN but its a little odd there is STILL systems being made with IPS.

I think I'll push my luck and hold out for black, it's not the worst thing in the world if I don't get it.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What?! But my MM3DS XL has a TN screen on the bottom :sad:

Is your unit from the 1st batch? Mine is from the 2nd batch.
First batch, yes. I was working at GameStop at the time so I was probably one of the first people to actually order it. I even had the MH one, but I had to sell it recently for financial reasons, sadly... never checked what the screens were.

@RemixDeluxe I mean, if you want a black one with dual IPS right now, that's 450$. That's also assuming you don't mess up the teardown. The Pokemon Anniversary one actually needed a 000 tri-wing screw driver, so I just improvised and used an exacto knife.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First batch, yes. I was working at GameStop at the time so I was probably one of the first people to actually order it. I even had the MH one, but I had to sell it recently for financial reasons, sadly... never checked what the screens were.

@RemixDeluxe I mean, if you want a black one with dual IPS right now, that's 450$. That's also assuming you don't mess up the teardown. The Pokemon Anniversary one actually needed a 000 tri-wing screw driver, so I just improvised and used an exacto knife.
So did you import a black 3DS then did a mobo swap along with a screen transplant? I assumed you imported since it shows your from the US. That sounds really expensive and just not worth it, if NoA wants to be stubborn about which variants to release here then they dont deserve my business and its not like I need this to begin with.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So did you import a black 3DS then did a mobo swap along with a screen transplant? I assumed you imported since it shows your from the US. That sounds really expensive and just not worth it, if NoA wants to be stubborn about which variants to release here then they dont deserve my business and its not like I need this to begin with.
Pretty much. Like I said, I had spare cash lying around. Plus, I can always resell the other N3DS, if I can find a replacement ribbon cable for the left triggers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol